Quantcast Sci-fi or 50's Prime Time Cafe'?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sci-fi or 50's Prime Time Cafe'?

I need to choose between Sci-fi and 50's Prime Time Cafe for an upcoming trip with family... DS 5 and DS 4... what would you choose and why?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd say go for Sci Fi, since it'll be fun to eat in a car, and you won't have anyone to force you to eat ALL your veggies or keep your elbows off the tables
    Skipper's General Warning!
    Reading of this signature might result in the following:
    Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Nausea, Heartburn, Indigestion,
    Upset Stomach, Diarrhea, and may Complicate Pregnancy.
    Consult a physician if read thoroughly.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a tough one for me because i really like sci-fi but dh and i ate at 50s prime time for the first time on our last trip and thought it was really good as well. dh says sci-fi because of the cars but that can also be a bad thing because the cars are two people to a seat so even though you're together everyone isn't next to each other. not an issue for us yet since we don't have kids, but my mil didn't like it because we were a large party and were at two tables. mil has to use a scooter so we weren't in a car but were at 2 tables. it has the front and back of a car with a regular four person table in the middle. hmmm still tough but i would go with sci-fi too. great ribs and milkshakes and you can't beat the black and white movie trailers.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to say Sci-Fi to unless either of your kids are very sensitive to monster movies. They only show quick clips and trailers at the Sci-Fi but they do show old black-and-white movie monsters like The Creature from the Black Lagoon, etc. My DH4 had no problem.
    Steve "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey"
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

Post Thanks / Like

we loved sci-fi,can't beat the burgers and shakes!
    "this is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good."

stitchaholic
    off site-1980
    ASM-2008
    POP-JAN 26,2009

CSR-JAN,2009
    WLV-jan 2010
    next visit dec 2010 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

50's Prime Time for sure. We've been to Sci Fi once, and found that the food portions were small and the movie clips repetitive. We also were seated over 30 minutes late. However, that was 5 years ago, so things might have changed for the better. You can't beat the food and fun of the 50's Prime Time.
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Post Thanks / Like

I've never eaten at either, but I always see TERRIBLE reviews for the Sci Fi...but folks here seem to like it, so maybe the reviews are unfair??

Post Thanks / Like

We took my DS to SciFi when he was 6 and he got pretty freaked out by the movies. He loves his thrill rides but did not like the movies... go figure! Might be something to keep in mind.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I vote for Sci-fi! It's a really fun place to eat!
    Lauren

AKL ('04)
    BLT ('11)
    CBR ('09, '15)
    CSR ('03, '11, '16)
    POFQ ('06, '14)
    POLY ('12 - Honeymoon)
    WL ('05, '08, '13)
    BWI ('15)
    Disney Cruise ('15)
    Disneyland Hotel ('08, '14)

Next Up: Beach Club- Oct 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom2morgan View Post
    I've never eaten at either, but I always see TERRIBLE reviews for the Sci Fi...but folks here seem to like it, so maybe the reviews are unfair??
    From what I've noticed on most forums or review sites, is that they always love to find things wrong with the place and then report about that, and not about how cool it was to eat in a car in a drive in movie set. See what their complaints were about, and sometimes you can tell that they just had much higher expectations than what they experienced, and then other times it really was just the food. You do have to keep in mind you're still at a theme park, and the food there is just that, theme park food, but dressed up a little bit with a high price tag on it, which would then probably make people think it has to be the best thing in the world for those prices, but in reality you're just paying for the overall experience and ambiance. Good example would be at Rainforest Cafe. I went there to get a wrap, and thought it was rather bland and boring and came with a hefty price, but I'd go over to a Bistro McDonalds (which is just a normal McDonalds that also sells 'gourmet' food) and I do have to say the little 5 dollar wrap I got from McDonalds was definately better in comparison to the 30 dollar wrap at Rainforest Cafe, but that doesn't mean I thought the Rainforest Cafe was horrible. I did notice that the company that does Rainforest and T-Rex isn't really worried about quality food as much as their quality in theming and service. Anyways, I've gone off topic again which happens alot with me, something you'll have to get used to when my train of thought derails.

Back on topic: Sci Fi would appeal more to the kids than something themed to your typical house and being told to follow rules. I'm sure as they're older and have a better understanding and appreciation for Prime Time, then they'll probably prefer that over Sci Fi.
    Skipper's General Warning!
    Reading of this signature might result in the following:
    Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Nausea, Heartburn, Indigestion,
    Upset Stomach, Diarrhea, and may Complicate Pregnancy.
    Consult a physician if read thoroughly.

Post Thanks / Like

Go for Prime Time. It is much more entertaining. Sci-Fi is no fun for parties greater than two as you do not sit together. Plus the video loop for Sci-Fi only runs about an hour and soon loses its appeal. The "family" interaction at Prime Time is what makes the meal.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I am thinking about these 2 for when i take my nephews. Ive been to both and neither is on my must do list again but they may like 1 of them.
    Leaning towards SciFi though
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Ate at both with children and the kids and my DW and myself would chose Prime Time. The atmosphere is a little better at Sci-Fi, but the people and food are better at 50's Prime Time.
    March, 1983 offsite,
    Dec. 1990 CBR,
    Aug. 1997 CBR,
    June 2000 POR,
    Sept. 2003 GFR,
    Aug 2006 PORR,
    May 2008 PORR,
    June 2009 PORR
    Nov. 2010 BLT(Finally DVC Member)

Post Thanks / Like

50's Prime Time! It has always been one of my families favorites! We love the food and the 50's atmosphere! As far as Sci-Fi? This is the only restaurant on property I will not eat at again! The food is just awful!
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

Post Thanks / Like

50s prime is a ton of fun! It's a great experiance!
    Disney World
    My home away from home

Last Trip: ESPN Weekend 2010!

Post Thanks / Like

50s Prime Time would be my choice. The food is pretty good and the atmosphere is fun. The only thing the Sc-Fi has going for it is the atmosphere.
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

Depends. If your family likes attention and have a good sense of humor 50's Prime Time would be great. If NOT, then go to Sci-Fi. Both are equal on the quality of food and service, just very different atmospheres. At Sci-Fi you can kind of be to yourself and the environment is really neat.
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

me and the mrs ate at both when we went. it really just comes down to what you're looking for. at the diner, you get great food and nice portions. you are seated sometimes a bit closer to people you dont know, but it can still be fun. the only thing is, you are going to wait a while before being seated. still, we loved it!

scifi is a different animal. you are more in this for the fun than the meal. we had appetizers and dessert here, but still enjoyed what we had. this is more about the ambience and the fun factor than food.

if you're going to eat one meal at the park that day, I would lean towards the diner. if you stay all day, it would be great to catch a quick bite at the scifi. we loved both, and you will enjoy either.
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

We enjoy both. It really depends on what type of food you are looking for. 50's is great for dinner. They have full meals that are really tasty and remind you of home cooking. Sci Fi on the other hand we prefer for lunch. Great ribs and burgers, as well as milkshakes. Just be sure the movies wont be too scary for your little ones!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Prime time or Sci-Fi

I think the menu choices at 50's Prime Time Cafe is somewhat better. We had a swell time there. Then again, at Sci-Fi, our waiter was from NY and just great to talk to. Our food was mediocore. I don't mind paying for something, but give me the same value what is being charged out.
    Keep smiling and Have a magical day!!!
    It's all good.

We love to serve fun, food, and deliciousness.

AKA: Jean and Marty

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: