Quantcast Rides closing due to rain

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rides closing due to rain

How do they handle this. If it rains to they still run the rides? How long after it stops raining does it take to reopen the rides. I am mainly concerned with the big rides like Everest or Kali River Rapids or Big Thunder.
    POR - 2007
    POR - 2009 ?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Telford, United Kingdom.......4,236 miles.
    Post Thanks / Like

As a general rule rides do stay open in the rain. If the rain turns into a very heavy thunder storm though they may have to close a lot of the rides for safety reasons. That's my understanding of the situation atleast.

The good news though is with Florida's crazy weather you can have a thunder storm start but then clear up not too long after.
    Disney World Visits:
    1. May-June 1998 (3 weeks)
    2. May-June 2001 (3 weeks)
    3. October-November 2004 (2 weeks)
    4. August-September 2010 (2 weeks)
    5. August-September 2017 (2 weeks)

NOW APPROACHING: 6. May 2021

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobpfef View Post
    ... I am mainly concerned with the big rides like Everest or Kali River Rapids or Big Thunder.
    These rides will continue to operate in most rain conditions. EE will stop operating if the rain becomes so heavy that the intensity of the rain combined with the speed of the ride becomes uncomfortable for the riders.

If there is lightning in the area, however, it is a different situation. The CMs will shut down these rides immediately if there are lightning strikes within six miles. The rides will remain shut down until the thunderstorm moves out of the area, usually 30 minutes or more. Thunderstorms are an almost daily occurance at WDW during the summer months, and ride shutdowns are common.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information. Lets hope that lightning stays away for our upcoming trip.
    POR - 2007
    POR - 2009 ?

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the outdoor attractions will remain open in the rain. There are a few very rare occasions when we (Jungle) had to close down due to extremely heavy rain, and I think it was due to the heavy winds that came with the rain, and the risk of higher water level in the river, but for the most part we are open during rainy conditions, whether people are in line or not. We will close down if there is lightning within a 5 mile radius of the property, any visable lightning is a good sign that we're going to get that magical call and get the official word to close down, but doesn't happen asap unfortunately. One thing I've dreaded was being the boat at the loading dock and you've seen lightning, and heard thunder, and they send you out on the river but you were waiting for that call, scary stuff. I pretty much say no flash pictures please, I get jumpy when I see bright lights when it's raining and we're in the jungle. Metal boats and lightning, means instant fried pygmy, just add water, oh wait, it's already there!

The other rule is that if there are no visible strikes 15 minutes after the last lightning strike, then it's all clear to get ready to open back up.
    Skipper's General Warning!
    Reading of this signature might result in the following:
    Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Nausea, Heartburn, Indigestion,
    Upset Stomach, Diarrhea, and may Complicate Pregnancy.
    Consult a physician if read thoroughly.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, we go in December, so haven't seen a lot of rain - but I'll tell ya, we were there on the 11th and went on Big Thunder in the pouring rain. The ride went, and was the wettest experience I've ever had, bar none! Kinda funny actually.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobpfef View Post
    Thanks for the information. Lets hope that lightning stays away for our upcoming trip.
    WDW is the lightning rod capitol of the world

Next time you go, look at how many lightning rods are embedded on every roof and high point in the park

A friend pointed that out to me on our last visit
    We are Siamese if you please

Contemporary Hotel Nov 1971
    Fort Wilderness 1974 & 75 (Ithink)
    Senior Trip 1983 off site
    Polynesian 1990
    Grand Floridian 1991
    All-Star Music 2008
    Port Orleans French Quarter Feb '09
    Magic Kingdom 2/17/12

Post Thanks / Like

Lightning is a big problem in Florida. Florida has the highest number of deaths due to lightning in the US and, (Strmchasr can confirm this) I believe I read that it has the most lightning strikes annually in the US.

I'm sure WDW has great plans to deal with it and have as little down time as it safely can.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure that lightening would play a pretty big role on rides. However, with rain, let me tell you - we went in October and went to the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. The clouds were ominous as we walked in at 7pm. We headed right to Big Thunder Moutain Railroad and by the time the ride went "outside" it was POURING - I mean POURING down rain. There was absolutely NO WAY (even with our rain ponchos) to avoid getting SOAKED!! My kids LOVED riding it in the rain, and so we did it again! Other than getting smacked in the face with raindrops, it was actually pretty fun! (I packed extra socks in case ours got wet, but with the excitement of the party - FORGOT to bring them - so at some point in the evening, we made "paper towel" socks) ha ha. HAve fun! Don't let the rain spoil your fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Just an FYI, some rides that we do not consider outside rides Disney does. For example I have stood a few feet from the ride vehicle for ToT for 35 minutes because there was lighting in the area.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

The funniest thing I saw in the rain at Disney was the people who had waited an hour for Dumbo going on the ride in a TORRENTIAL downpour. They were determined to get that ride in.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that heavy rain may shut down Test Track.

Another aspect of the world that shuts down during a Thunderstorm is the boat transportation.
    Have a Magical Day!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irish1967 View Post
    I believe that heavy rain may shut down Test Track.
    A slight Drizzle shuts down Test Track

Lightning also shuts down the Monorails.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    A slight Drizzle shuts down Test Track
    Bitter party of one...paging bitter party of one... Just kidding.

DW and I rode Everest in pretty much a torrential downpour. We had ponchos on, so we didn't get too soaked. It was actually a fun experience. I wouldn't want to do it that way every time but...

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    Lightning is a big problem in Florida. Florida has the highest number of deaths due to lightning in the US and, (Strmchasr can confirm this) I believe I read that it has the most lightning strikes annually in the US.

I'm sure WDW has great plans to deal with it and have as little down time as it safely can.

From what I understand, Florida is the lighting capital in the world.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

You're right! Florida is the lightening capital of the world.

However.....TOT is a giant metal box. You're sitting in a metal box, surrounded by a metal cage, with metal seatbelts, inside of a giant metal column, with a giant metal cable attached. Lightening also doesn't strike straight down either.

Have you ever seen or heard it get struck by lightening? Or have you ever heard any metal get struck? Yeah.....you can hear if it hits TOT from Epcot. I wouldn't want to be on the ride during a strike.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post
    You're right! Florida is the lightening capital of the world.

However.....TOT is a giant metal box. You're sitting in a metal box, surrounded by a metal cage, with metal seatbelts, inside of a giant metal column, with a giant metal cable attached. Lightening also doesn't strike straight down either.

Having personally witnessed horizontal lightning, I'm with you there.

Have you ever seen or heard it get struck by lightening? Or have you ever heard any metal get struck? Yeah.....you can hear if it hits TOT from Epcot. I wouldn't want to be on the ride during a strike.
    Yeah, it would be interesting to see and hear lightning strike it, but not from the inside!

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: