Quantcast Are Some WDW Visitors Just Plain FOOLS? - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I just returned from the World on 12/16 after planning for MONTHS an extended family vacation with my sister and her clan.

I don't exactly time things to the minute.....but I do plan a park day -- as in "we're going to this park today what do you want to do"....that is how I plan our days.

That said, I have a formula that works for US well...I said US b/c I know that kids will have opinions all the time and try to sway me, but my son and husband just go along with me when I do all the planning and they know I try to get everything they want to do into our days. It is only seven SHORT days.....we could stay much longer!!

Anyway, we were at Epcot one afternoon and I waiting for our FP for Soarin to come up so we went on Living w/ the Land....the line was short so we jumped on. At the end, I said to my nieces....."Did you guys like that??" The three year old exclaimed she wanted to DO IT AGAIN!!! I asked my sister if she and her boyfriend wanted to go again and she just said, "Boy that was educational".....I took that as a no. Now, my family has been on this ride and we've also taken the tour! DS#1 and I have been on the tour THREE times!! Once by ourselves, once with my cousins from Daytona and once we took DH (when he came with us on vaca ). DS#1 asked the girls if they wanted to go on the tour....I fully intended on paying for them too.....but my DSis said it would be boring and that was that -- the girls didn't want to do it.

I don't know that they ever really made it to WS where I know my older DN wanted to go to a few of the pavilions (Italy specifically).....and I'm kinda sad for them, but they had their vacation their way.

As for AK.....they went to Rafiki's and never got off the train -- my DSis didn't realize there was anything else to do there.....they went on the Safari and did one of the walking trails....I'm not exactly sure what else they did though for the remainder of the day there, but they were back at AKL before 5 pm and had left around 11 am, so you do the math......

As for staying at the AKL.....I will say that even though we got an upgrade to a savannah view room (hey, I was happy we weren't looking at cars or a tree out our balcony!!). When she went out and saw we really had no animals to look at, unless you count the official animal of Disney World -- the giant construction crane -- if you count that, we did see an animal.....what we did see all week were two ostriches two days and two giraffe's the same day.....that was it for the week! My DSis said that is where they put the people they don't know what to do with.....in the rooms no one else wants......again, I was GLAD we weren 't looking at a car or a tree out our balcony and i pointed that out when we were at the pool......how would you like THAT room....literally a tree in front of your eyes!!

Bottom line is that everyone vacations differently......some of us are just so darn addicted to the World we can't help ourselves, but we also can't judge others for their vacation styles.

Yeah, we didn't do alot of the things that I had wanted us all to do, but oh well.....it's over.....about 2/3 of the way thru our week I finally tried to relax b/c I realized we were not going to get to half the stuff on my "plan". Plus it was busier than I had anticipated (A LOT busier).

We'll be back......much sooner than my sister will I think, even tho she says they are going to go back next year (meaning 2009)....we all even checked into the DVC thing!

I can say my family are park commandos.....my DSis' family......they are NOT park commandos! These two styles clash badly!

On a separate note.....we were at a party a few days ago and someone asked where we were on vaca....when I told them DIsney their reply was "Why do you go there all the time?" I told them that just about every time we go the trip is different.....DS#1 is getting older and we do different things each time....for instance during the holidays there is so much more to see and do!! So again, some people just don't catch the Disney bug like some others do.
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppysmom View Post
    On a separate note.....we were at a party a few days ago and someone asked where we were on vaca....when I told them DIsney their reply was "Why do you go there all the time?" I told them that just about every time we go the trip is different.....DS#1 is getting older and we do different things each time....for instance during the holidays there is so much more to see and do!! So again, some people just don't catch the Disney bug like some others do.
    We get the "Why do you go all the time?", and we have resorted to saying that it's because we like it a lot and always have a great trip since the real reasons escape non-WDW people which is that going to WDW is a true escape from our lives and we get to ride our favorite ride rides, have fun, and goof around and relax. Plus, there is magic in WDW! We too always find something new to do whether it's a new ride or eat at a restaurant we haven't before.

In the original post, the person who said that he/she didn't want to be "educated" on vacation is his/her right, that person has a right to be close-minded and not open to new experiences, even if they're "educational". I guess that the classroom is the only place where education should take place, according to the original post. I feel sorry for those kids.

And I absolutely agree that people like that will make the lines shorter for the rest of us!
    "Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you. But always dress for the hunt!" Kungaloosh!

"Happy are those whom the Muses love."

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I are WDW nuts.We try to visit as often as we can.
    A couple of years ago,her family wanted to go with us.Consisting of DW's sister in law,her adult daughter and her 2 kids 912,and 14 yo.They are all total rookies in all things Disney.
    DW and I were to do all the planning,and be the group leaders.We did all of the research,made the bookings,ADRs, etc.
    DW and I wasted more time looking for the others that we could not enjoy ourselves.We are in our mid 50s,in not so great health and we still ran all of them into the ground.
    One day,they wanted to sleep late,saying they would meet us in MK around noon.Around 1 PM,we got a cell call,they cabbed it to Universal instead,not only losing the days admission to WDW,but fowling up our ADR for that night.
    This thread asked about fools.
    After that trip,DW and I were both fools for vacationing with a non-Disney family.
    NEVER AGAIN!!!
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom2morgan View Post
    So I can chime in with personal experience now! A friend JUST told me this morning 'We are planning to go to Disney World and Epcot. Is there anything else to do there? She really had no clue that there are four parks that are all part of WDW, and of course she means "the Magic Kingdom" when she says Disney World.
    and not to mention all the things to do outside the parks like DTD, water parks, mini golf, all the dining, other resort activities, dinner shows, ect.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post

Have you been to EPCOT? No! Yuck! It's educational isn't it. I didn't take my kids outa school a week to go there myself! And isn't part of it foreign? That has no appeal to me at all.

We all have the ablility to learn from everything that we do/experience in life. Therefore everything is educational.

It's a pity that people don't take these opportunities and get rid of xenophobic ideas. May be then the world would not be as messed up.
    Soarin' to Tower

Next Trips: 2017 The other half has allowed me back!
    Offsite 1998, 2004, 2015 (Universal)
    AKL 2001, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2013
    Beach Club 2008
    Yacht Club 2010, 2011, 2012
    DLR California 2004, 2014
    DLR Paris 2006, 2008, 2010
    DLR HK 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zawadi View Post
    ...It's a pity that people don't take these opportunities and get rid of xenophobic ideas. May be then the world would not be as messed up.
    My hope is, United Statesers who visit EPCOT/Futureworld would find the theme park "min-countries" and more importantly, the smiles of international cast members from the host countries to be a motivation to travel outside the US.

Post Thanks / Like

You make a good point...we had friends who were there during our stay and since Magic Kingdom was at capacity New Years Eve they just went back to their hotel...they said they only do one or two things at Animal Kingdom...I found out they've never seen Legend of the Lion KingI tried to convince them they were missing out but to no avail....and Epcot is so awesome its like a mini international vacation in one park

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

there are just some people out there that are fools - and i mean fool by having information available but choosing not to either read or listen - im a nurse and i have patients that choose not to know the name or dose of their medication - seriously - they take the blue pill for blood pressure - OMG! im certain that if any of them took a trip to disney they would bypass epcot and animal kingdom - which is fine by me b/c maybe when i go the line for soarin' will be a bit shorter and i won't have to do CPR on the guy who left his blue pills at home
    playdead88

boardwalk villas may 2005
    boardwalk villas may 2006
    beach club villas april 2007

wilderness lodge april 2008
    DVC member april 08
    animal kingdom villas may 09

Post Thanks / Like

I can't tell you how many people I know who skip Fantasyland because they think its just for kids and a waste of time!!!!
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I agree!

I've had people ask my WHY we go at least once a year...

gee....

it's the ONE place on earth where time goes backwards and insted of being "middle aged" you're a kid. There's wide eyed wonder around every corner and every trip has something special.

This being said....

I also had friends ask me what is "good" to do...I've given them advice based on may be a dozen visits...those that considered it...had fun and fell in love.

Those that didn't ended up getting stuck in lines and generally not having much fun

I wonder why they bothered to ask me what to do?
    Sometimes you'll be Sleepy, Bashful, SNEEZY, Dopey and maybe even Grumpy; but I hope you are always HAPPY at the end of the day.

Annual Pass Holder
    AKL-10th Wed Ann Sept 08
    Offsite: Mar 09 Mar 08 Mar 07 Mar 06 Mar 04, Sept 03 Mar 02 Nov 00
    ASM Mar 05
    Magic Music Days Performer May 89

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh, I am dealing with one of those people right now. My FIL wants to take the whole family (MIL, BIL, DH and two stepkids) to WDW in August. Awesome! We were going to go anyway but it's cool to have someone else offer to pay.

Except, he wants to drive from PA to FL, taking 2 days of vacation each way and is INSISTING on staying at one of the chain hotels on International Blvd. Um, no thanks! We want to stay at Pop, like we did when we took my sons and take advantage of all the amenities, perks and Magic of staying at a WDW resort.

We've tried explaining our reasoning to him a million times and he's like a #*%$&% mule with the stubbornness.

He thinks that if you stay at a Disney resort, you can't go to Universal or Sea World. I don't really want to so that's no issue for me, but they're DRIVING here so they don't even have to worry about Mears or taxis. Shrug. Whatever.
    12 trips to the World... next one: 10/29/12 for our Fairy Tale Wedding!

Post Thanks / Like

Default I agree

We have found some people who dont go to epcot either. We love epcot...granted it is just my husband and I but we love it. I love the worldshowcase - we spend so much time there. Then again, I know people who ask me how I could spend 9 days at Disneyworld too without kids, they are all like "Um, dont you get bored"....NO - We never have enough time!
    POR April/May 2007
    POR April/May 2008
    POP April/May 2009
    POR April/May 2010!!!!!!
    POR Feb/March 2011!
    POP May 2011!!!!!!!!
    POP DEC 2012
    OFF Property May 2013
    POP NOV 2013
    CSR JAN-FEB 2014 (they upgraded us from POP)
    POP MAY 14
    I love my Pens!

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my opinion, it boils down to people just not having a clue as to what they are about to experience. We live 30 minutes from Hershey Park, an amusement park in PA. People think that when they go to Disney World, its like going to Hershey...lets just go and wonder around and ride some rides. Disney is nothing like this! You need a plan, you need knowledge, you need to research, and then you may find that you will experience everything Disney has to offer if you plan on staying more than 1 day in each park. My daughter is 5. She has been there 9 times and we still find things for her to see for the first time. Its amazing to me how people just think they can show up and not have a plan and see everything....now heres the kicker as it refers to the original question:

When these people show up and not have a plan, they can't possible experience everything, so when they are asked about EPCOT and they reply thats its an "educational experience" its because they haven't taken the time to find out what its really about.

What kills me even more is that people spend thousands of dollars to go on a vacation in which they really didn't experience all that it had to offer, and then make opinions based on their stupidity....ok, done with my rant.

Post Thanks / Like

What I find most interesting is people's lack of want to be prepared. I love planning my vacations...especially to WDW. I love finding out what all I can do and see. It helps build up the excitement level.

Side Note: If I come across an individual who doesn't know much about WDW and wants help, I am more than happy to set the record straight. But if they are those " know-it-all" types that don't really know it all, I just laugh and move on.
    Aubree

Disney Trips:

01/10 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    02/05 - Port Orleans - Riverside
    03/01- Polynesian
    11/97 - Polynesian
    11/91 - Off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Default Replies

Yowza! 73 replies and 3,161 views.

Let me say again, I certainly don't think all or even most WDW first-times are "fools".

I was just surprised to meet a (another) family staying at week at WDW with MYW admissions and not going near 2 of the WDW theme parks they had never been to because of preconcieved assumptions (Epcot=educational, AK=zoo).

I don't expect every family that visits WDW to be hyper-planners. Remember, "fan" is short for "fanatic" and while I enjoy hanging out with other WDW fans on Intercot, I don't expect everyone to be a WDW fan.

Several of you have written about taking friends and relatives on their first WDW visit -something I enjoy doing also. When I take 'newbies' I (and my wife!) tend to bombard our guests with, "You gotta see this and you gotta ride that and you must taste this..." etc. I think that kind of "guiding" can be to much for many visitors.

I believe first timers should get an overview, a feel for the scope of the world but they should also have time to wander and wonder. Grandma Nancy asked for time to revist and explore Epcot WS on her own. We gave her IntGateway-boat-DHS directions to meet us there later in the day. It worked great. She later said she had no idea she's spend so much time in the department store in Japan.

What's my point? Heavens, I don't know. I think it's perfectly OK for a person to look at the Teacups and say, "Spining isn't plesant for me." but a person who decides to skip the MK entirely because they guess it's just for kids is missing out.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand (and agree with) your point. It's one thing to research something and then decide it's not for you, but quite another to just briefly glance at it and make a snap judgment without really giving it a chance.

I would have to say I fell into the category of "fool" on our first trip as a family. I had a guidebook and knew we wanted a couple sit-down meals, called when we arrived to make PS (this was I think just as the dining plan was getting started). BUT I didn't do any research into park hours, etc. and we ended up only going to MK once during the week.

However, we still had a great time, and WDW has seeped into our blood...so I can definitely say I learned from my mistakes.

I want to go to AK on our next trip, to ride E:E and see the Nemo show, and that's it. We like AK enough, but we're not crazy about it. I can say that having 3 trips under my belt. I would certainly never discourage someone from visiting, and I would never insult someone who claims AK as their favorite park. I can appreciate what AK has to offer, it's just not for our family.

Kind of a ramble, I know, sorry.
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    Epcot is a half a day and outta there.

No Im not a fool
    Quote Originally Posted by pink View Post
    I agree. I don't think I'm a fool because I've done everything Epcot has to offer at least once and it just doesn't interest me.
    If you've been to the parks and that's how you feel, that's OK. I think that's what many people are saying. (For me Epcot is 2 days minimum). What people find strange is those who have never been to certain parks and dismiss them all together.

I had been a huge disney fan long before my first trip to WDW, so I was quite prepared when I finally when there in the mid 80's. On every trip I try to do as much as I can, and see and do anything new that I missed the last time. When I give anyone planning advice on WDW it is from first hand knowledge. If I don't like something, I won't do it again, or maybe not on every trip, but I'm going to experience it for myself at least once.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

lockedoutlogic Guest

Many people in general are just plain fools....

So i would have to answer the original question YES

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't call anyone "fools" because I think at some point we were all in that same boat.

The first time I ever visited WDW was on my honeymoon in '91. We stayed a week at the CB and a week at the GF (thank God we stayed at the CB first!!) and when I think back at all the time we wasted it makes me cringe.

We were completely un-educated on all things Disney back then and wasted a ton of time doing things that we would never dream of doing now. A night on International Drive, another night at some mall in Orlando, eating at some restaraunt we got a free dinner at with our honeymoon package etc. Just loads and loads of wasted time. I'm sure to others we seemed like "fools" but over the years we have become WDW "experts" and are now the go to people for all of our friends and family who are planning trips. I'm sure you all get the same thing, "where should we stay?", "where should we eat?" etc. We have saved more trips than I can count.

So I think of all these so called "fools" as people we once were who will come to be experts someday as we have done.

Jay

Post Thanks / Like

There are many people who just won't ever "get" or appreciate Disney and I personally feel sorry for them. I don't especially like the educational stuff in Epcot (innovations feels like a trade show to me) but I just wait outside (while my kids lap it all up) looking at the flowers, watching the fountain, listening to that awesome Epcot music and smile a goofy smile. Every moment in the World whether it is in the resort or park or restaurant just makes me happy. I feel sad to see cranky folks somehow unable to feel the magic around them. I guess I understand them since I am a type A cynical type in my real life...but as soon as I walk through the park entrance I am a kid just like the Disney commercials show you. Planning and knowledge helps to be sure, but I think you need to have a certain openness. Maybe some people just aren't in touch with that inner child anymore?
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Share This Thread On Social Media: