Quantcast Epcot history - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epcot history

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    I'm pretty sure the hand came down somewhere in the last couple of years, but someone who's been there more recently can tell you for sure.

I thought the original ride in Imagination was great, but they tinkered with it over the years and took a lot away from it. I also thought the original World of Motion ride was a lot of fun, but such is progress.
    It's gone, thank goodness. That thing was so not EPCOT. How is a huge Mickey Hand Futurism and World Culture? It isn't.
    "We can see a new horizon,built on all that we have done,and our dreams begin another 1000 circles around the sun..."

We Go On

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The future always changes.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

My issue with FW is that, while I still love it, three things drag on my appreciation every time I go:
    1. Mission Space just doesn't have great re-rideability for me. I liked it when I first rode it, but my enjoyment of it has diminished very quickly. I just feel too "shaky" when I'm done to really make me keep wanting to go back and the ride itself just isn't good enough to compensate. All in all I'd much rather have Horizons back.
    2. That empty WoL pavilion is killing me. To have an entire corner of FW essentially shuttered ... that really grates on my nerves. They need to put something in there quickly, sponsor or no sponsor. They make billions every year ... I'm sure they can spend a paltry $100 mil of their own cash to build a darn ride.
    3. The Imagination pavilion is "dead to me." I don't care for HISTA at all and the new JIYI is an abomination.
    But on the flip side, we love Soarin' and I do think the new Nemo ride is a fun addition to what was previously kind of a dull Living Seas pavilion.

All in all I still love FW, but it could use some TLC.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Let's not forget Cranium Command. I sure miss that one.

Post Thanks / Like

You know, it's funny ... I love Epcot. I went there the first two years when it was open as a 14 year old, and then didn't come back until 2004. Been there about 6 times since. I remember there used to be a lot "more" to Future World, but couldn't really remember what (besides the old Figment ride, which I loved).

They really do need to add some new attractions in the front though, to recapture the feel of Epcot. When I was there last time, I thought they needed to add an attraction to the Wonders of Life space, something like a cross between Fantastic Voyage and the "Men In Black" ride from Universal Studios where riders can ride in vehicls through a body and use guns to shoot invading organisms. Is that what Body Wars was like ? I really can't recall.

Post Thanks / Like

I say they need to update and re-open Cranium Command. We only got to see it once before they shuttered the WoL pavilion, and we thought it was great!
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    BamaJenn, you did a really good job of covering how the park was in its early days.
    Thanks so much! The history of Epcot is sort of just ingrained in my brain so I tend to babble with the subject is brought up. LOL!
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)

Once You Go, You Know
    Visit the World you used to know...

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your feedback. It's helped greatly.
    [*]2011 Wilderness Camp Ground Apr 17-21
    [*]2009 Pop
    [*]2007 - 2010 Wilderness Camp Ground
    [*]2005 Wilderness Camp Ground
    [*]2002 Wilderness Camp Ground
    [*]2001 Wilderness Camp Ground
    [*]2000 Wilderness Camp Ground
    [*]1998 Wilderness Camp Ground
    [*]1989 Off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Great topic!
    I remember the original Figment and Dreamfinder ride fondly. I can remember riding it right before we left the part that night and singing "Imaaaagination!!!!" over and over....and I was in my 20's!
    I remember the Body Wars ride was VERY rough and motion sickness inducing. It was a totally different ride from Star Tours, even though the technology was the same. Once was enough for me. On the other hand, Cranium Command was a must do every time.
    Horizons and World of Motion were classic dark rides that I feel we need more of. Sure Test Track and Mission Space have good points, but they just can't compare in my book.
    Thanks for the memories!
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

I know this sounds corny, but you think WDW could somehow put something at Epcot that has to do with "Little Einsteins".
    " I'm Grumpy cause you're Dopey "

CSR MAR 2012
    POR Jan 2012
    WLR Christmas 2010
    CSR July 2010
    A S Sports- Agst 2009
    CBR - ESPN Weekend 2009
    CSR - ESPN Weekend 2008
    POR - Sept 2007
    YC - July 2006
    POR - Christmas 2005

GRUMPY DUDE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibrowse17 View Post
    I have been to Epcot countless times since it opened, and Innovations has just never been a place we have spent much time in. I can remember when they had a version of the build your own rollercoaster there, but that is about it. SSE, The Land, The World of Motion and Horizons have all changed or gone away all together. I have always enjoyed Epcot a great deal, but do agree that something needs to be done with Future World
    I miss Horizons! It was fabulous!
    June 1975 offsite
    Sept 1977 offsite
    June 1985 offsite
    March 1990 Fort Wilderness
    June 1994 Caribbean Beach
    March 1996 Allstar Sports
    March 1998 Allstar Movies
    March 2001 Port Orleans Riverside
    March 2004 Pop Century
    Dec 2007 Pop Century
    Nov 2010 POFQ
    next trip June 2012 ASM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texasteacher View Post
    I miss Horizons! It was fabulous!
    I also loved Horizons, we would go on that at least three times day. The orange blossoms smelled so good. I miss World of Motion and loved Spaceship Earth with Walter Cronkite narrating. I miss the original Imagination with Dreamfinder. Do you guys remember the first
    3D Kodak movie? And Listen to the Land was a favorite. How about the little show with the veggies? It's where Soarin is now. I can't think of the name of it, but it was so cute.
    We would always stop at this little area by Mousegear where they had a round table with televisions in it. We loved to see what the weather was like in other places. I guess it didn't take much to please us then.
    The Odessey was a restaurant, wasn't it? I remember one night when DH and I were newlyweds, we were sitting where the Gardens Theatre is at across from American Adventure. We were eating popcorn, it was chilly out and we were waiting for the fireworks. Epcot was open til around 11 I think. Anyway, he went into the little shop next to the American Adventure and came back with a little onyx ring for me. I still wear it and it almost makes me cry now. It was so romantic for me. We have so many memories of Epcot and I hope we can add one more this Saturday. I just told him we are going there whether he wants to or not.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: