Quantcast EE Yeti - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: EE Yeti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    In addition to the letter writing and phone calls, an online petition has been set up.

Normal place, petition ID: HELPYETI

Not familiar with what the "Normal place" is. Please PM me with the link.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Normal Place = world wide web dot petition online dot com

lockedoutlogic Guest

I agree with what several have said....

The Yeti is the ride.....it isn't complete without it and they cannot push it as anything more than an average thrill without it....

The best example is Splash Mountain (which i believe to be the greatest ride constructed by disney...just ahead of Tower, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Pirates, and Haunted Mansion)

Splash Mountain, when broken apart by components....isn't much

An average amusement park flune....combined with Disney cartoon theming....combined with fairly simplistic AA technology for the time it was created....

Yet together...it's spectacular.

Disney rides are more than they sum of their parts.....and Everest without the Yeti can't live up to that.

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Normal Place = world wide web dot petition online dot com
    No can find HELPYETI at 'normal' place???

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I have to be honest. I think folks are somewhat overstating the import of the yeti here.

I mean look ... the darn thing is visible for what? MAYBE 5 seconds?? Tops?? It hardly dictated my level of enjoyment of the attraction when it was working vs. non-working. Heck, it's not even like it's missing. It's still there. It's just not moving around.

My opinion has been and is that the thing was underwhelming to the nth degree anyway. I could never fathom why, in a million-billion years, they spent all this money to develop this fancy-schmancy audio-animatronic and then showed it to you while you were flying by at 25 miles an hour.

And yet, in the scene where you're sitting still and actually have a few moments to enjoy things, they used a stupid animated shadow??? Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Me personally ... I love the ride yeti or no yeti. It's fun. Is it the greatest coaster on the planet? No. But it's still cool and that stupid yeti, in my opinion, had very little to do with it. I thought it was a big waste.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know what Joe Rohde thinks of the situation? Hearing him talk about the attraction and his research on it and such, he sounded like a kid in a candy store.
    I can't imagine he's too happy about his Yeti being in what could be permanent B mode.
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

Post Thanks / Like

This breaks my heart. I would have no issue going without EE for an extended period of time if it meant the needed TLC was happening. But, I'm doubting this unless AK gets a new attraction soon.

I really hope the rehab is done. And, since they have to tear it out anyway, perhaps they can reposition the yeti for more face time? just a dream, probably.
    1995-2008// [7 Disneyland Trips] Offsite
    June 2007// [1st Ever WDW Trip!] POR
    June 2009// [WDW #2 ]Animal Kingdom Lodge

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. -Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I have to be honest. I think folks are somewhat overstating the import of the yeti here.

I mean look ... the darn thing is visible for what? MAYBE 5 seconds?? Tops?? It hardly dictated my level of enjoyment of the attraction when it was working vs. non-working. Heck, it's not even like it's missing. It's still there. It's just not moving around.

My opinion has been and is that the thing was underwhelming to the nth degree anyway. I could never fathom why, in a million-billion years, they spent all this money to develop this fancy-schmancy audio-animatronic and then showed it to you while you were flying by at 25 miles an hour.

And yet, in the scene where you're sitting still and actually have a few moments to enjoy things, they used a stupid animated shadow??? Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Me personally ... I love the ride yeti or no yeti. It's fun. Is it the greatest coaster on the planet? No. But it's still cool and that stupid yeti, in my opinion, had very little to do with it. I thought it was a big waste.
    I somewhat agree... They did 4 shows on the whole yeti thing to hype it (that includes a lame Jeff Corwin show). When I first rode it, I expected that animatronic yeti to be a major part of the attraction. I was thinking something more along the lines of Kongfrontation over at Universal was what they were going to do with that beast. Instead we whiz by at break neck speeds without even an inkling of what's coming up to prepare.

Is it good? Sure it is, but you need to ride a couple times to actually see the thing. Even in A Mode, blink and you'll miss him.

Overrated? Sure it is, BUT without that, it's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

I'm not a huge coaster fan. I like them, but not enough to wait in a 2+ hour line for one (although Superman over at 6 Flags New England is pretty sweet!). Definitely not to view a shadow puppet on a cave wall.

lockedoutlogic Guest

I agree with alot of your take....

I had originally thought that perhaps you would at least circle around the yeti....giving people a chance to take a good gawk at it.....

But overall it is underwhelming....and fun at the same time....

Really....it's Big Thunder Mountain on rocket fuel......not much more...

A good waste of a minute.....but sadly not some sort of saviour for the park....

Animal Kingdom needs more attractions of all forms and more animals to make it a destination park.....you know....the kind people think about when they get on and off the plane....

It is not that....and judging by the great example of MGM....may never be...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BMan62 View Post
    No can find HELPYETI at 'normal' place???
    It appears their search engine doesn't index the site too quick.

If you put /HELPYETI after the "normal" place, it goes there. What a miserable failure that online petition place is.

I've just updated my homepage to he right spot, makes everyone's life easier...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    Disney rides are more than they sum of their parts.....and Everest without the Yeti can't live up to that.
    I agree with everything you said there, except, I would change it just slightly and say - Everest without the Yeti operating in his full intended form can't live up to that. Otherwise, it's just a thrill ride whose story is incomplete.

What makes Disney rides so unique and spectacular compared to others is the story in them. If the storytellers (characters/animatronics) are broken, then the story doesn't really work.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    I agree with everything you said there, except, I would change it just slightly and say - Everest without the Yeti operating in his full intended form can't live up to that. Otherwise, it's just a thrill ride whose story is incomplete.

What makes Disney rides so unique and spectacular compared to others is the story in them. If the storytellers (characters/animatronics) are broken, then the story doesn't really work.
    now we're practically shaking hands at camp david with Sadat.....

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

All of you who are espousing the "every attraction has to have a story" position should probably go read this article over at the Re-Imagineering blog.

The whole notion that every Disney ride is supposed to have a story is a big myth. That was an Eisner thing, not a Walt thing.

We don't really have a story, with a beginning, an end, or a plot. It's more a series of experiences building up to a climax. I call them experience rides. - Marc Davis, 1969
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder
    Post Thanks / Like

Listen, don't worry, the Yeti will be back up and running soon. I just wrote to Disney and asked for Iger to use part of the $13.9M bonus he received towards the repair cost. I'm sure he'll have no problem accommodating the request.
    Hi Neighbor! Have a 'Gansett.

Post Thanks / Like

all of you who are espousing the "every attraction has to have a story" position should probably go read this article over at the Re-Imagineering blog.

The whole notion that every Disney ride is supposed to have a story is a big myth. That was an Eisner thing, not a Walt thing.

Quote:
    We don't really have a story, with a beginning, an end, or a plot. It's more a series of experiences building up to a climax. I call them experience rides. - Marc Davis, 1969
    I think this actually helps makes our point...the yeti is the climax...of the story, the experience ride or whatever one chooses to call it.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Random thoughts:

"It's a terrible ride if the Yeti isn't in A mode"... What, the ride cars don't swoosh as fast, the hills don't climb as high, the turns don't pitch as steep, your stomach doesn't climb up into your throat in quite the same way if the Yeti's hairy right arm doesn't move a little bit as your car passes underneath it?

"No different than Big Thunder Mountain"... That claim should be considered unassailable courthouse proof that someone hasn't ridden the two rides.

"Worst roller coaster in the history of roller coasters"... Duuude, now we know who here owns stock in Seagrams/Universal.

Speaking of Universal... "Spiderman is better!"... "Mummy is 10x better!"... Please recall the numerous discussion threads with all of the whining, moaning and gnashing of teeth about the crumminess of rides always being based on movies... "Where's the originality?" ..."What a commercial sell-out!"... Ahem, Expedition Everest = No movie tie-in. Spiderman and The Mummy?????? That's two rides based on, what, six different movies!?!?!

"The Yeti isn't on-stage for long enough"... You know, I once thought that it would be great if there was a once-in-a-blue-moon C-mode version of the ride where the EE train cars would come to a stop for an unprecedented third time --right in front of the Yeti in the Yeti chamber --and the whoolly beast suddenly straightens up into a formal stance, grabs an imaginary lapel with his left hand and starts to recite the first few lines from the Gettysburgh Address... then your car suddenly starts moving again, hurtling out of the mountain...

I'm serious about that last one!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    I think this actually helps makes our point...the yeti is the climax...of the story, the experience ride or whatever one chooses to call it.
    Walt referred to it as a weenie I beleive...

Not that I want to get into the whole Walt would turn over in his grave debate, etc. But, the Yeti is the draw for EE, says so all over the queue. To not see the yeti is a let down.

Post Thanks / Like

To not see the yeti is a let down.
    Zoom! -- Zip! -- Woosh! -- Gone! Half the people who rode EE on opening day didn't "see the yeti"! And that was when he was in A+++ mode!

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cgriff View Post
    Random thoughts:

"It's a terrible ride if the Yeti isn't in A mode"... What, the ride cars don't swoosh as fast, the hills don't climb as high, the turns don't pitch as steep, your stomach doesn't climb up into your throat in quite the same way if the Yeti's hairy right arm doesn't move a little bit as your car passes underneath it?

"No different than Big Thunder Mountain"... That claim should be considered unassailable courthouse proof that someone hasn't ridden the two rides.

"Worst roller coaster in the history of roller coasters"... Duuude, now we know who here owns stock in Seagrams/Universal.

Speaking of Universal... "Spiderman is better!"... "Mummy is 10x better!"... Please recall the numerous discussion threads with all of the whining, moaning and gnashing of teeth about the crumminess of rides always being based on movies... "Where's the originality?" ..."What a commercial sell-out!"... Ahem, Expedition Everest = No movie tie-in. Spiderman and The Mummy?????? That's two rides based on, what, six different movies!?!?!

"The Yeti isn't on-stage for long enough"... You know, I once thought that it would be great if there was a once-in-a-blue-moon C-mode version of the ride where the EE train cars would come to a stop for an unprecedented third time --right in front of the Yeti in the Yeti chamber --and the whoolly beast suddenly straightens up into a formal stance, grabs an imaginary lapel with his left hand and starts to recite the first few lines from the Gettysburgh Address... then your car suddenly starts moving again, hurtling out of the mountain...

I'm serious about that last one!
    Uh oh....we have another one on the dust.....

Everest without the story...is an average thrill ride. Perhaps you need to ride more than just Everest and Big Thunder....and you might see where the world outside the purple gates might be coming from...

What time do you clock in tomorrow?

Post Thanks / Like

I could care less if the Yeti moves, I still love the ride, but I guess you should get what you're promised and pay for. I think Disney feels the same way, otherwise it would be fixed by now.
    16 trips to "The World"

Last trip - April 2018 - Polynesian
    Next trip to WDW - December 2018 - Beach club

"Disneyworld will never be complete. It will continue to grow as long as there's imagination left in the world."

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: