Quantcast Near Spur-of-the-Moment Trip Day 5: Downtown Disney, Kona Cafe, and Il Mulino

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Near Spur-of-the-Moment Trip Day 5: Downtown Disney, Kona Cafe, and Il Mulino

This trip has been unusual in a couple of respects. First, I didn’t go to MK until the fourth day of the trip. Second, I didn’t go to Downtown Disney until the fifth day of the trip, that is, until today. I typically go to DD within the first few minutes of any trip to WDW and to MK within a day or two at latest. Perhaps because of Perry being at Epcot or because MK isn’t my wife’s favorite park or because I’m to the age where I prefer not fighting the heavy crowds, MK was pushed farther down the priority list.

But that doesn’t explain DD. Whatever the reason, I decided to remedy this situation by spending a good portion of the day shopping.

But, first things first: breakfast, and not just any breakfast: Tonga Toast at Kona Café. Kona is one of those spots that seems to be well-respected by Disney aficionados, but largely overlooked by the casual visitor. We had reservations for 8:00, but changed them to 9:10 in order to practice the important art of laziness. At 9:05,we walked to the counter and were seated within another 5 minutes.

My wife had planned on ordering the French toast. After placing her order, I prevailed upon her – nice guy that I am – to go for the Big Kahuna instead. With this latter, she could sample a wide variety of Kona favorites, including what turned out to be her favorite: macadamia pineapple pancakes (the included French toast, no so much). The pancakes were so light that even without the delicious toppings, they would be a tasty treat; but the combination of fluffy pancake, macadamia nuts, and pineapple – seemingly made from fresh pineapple – makes for a special morning.

My choice was no less inspired. The Tonga Toast – banana-stuffed French toast made with sourdough bread and glazed with cinnamon to the uninitiated – is such a rich item that I order it only on occasion; but, when I do, it’s definitely a treat. This morning was no exception, with the sweet sausage side a satisfying counterpoint. I’m not a coffee drinker, heretic that I am, so drank the nectar of the gods: a combination of orange, passion fruit, and guava juices aptly named Lilikoi Juice (“aptly named” if Lilikoi means “mmmm!!!”).

Stuffed, I waddled from the premises, ready to expend my new-found energy in serious walking. First, though, we stopped to check on Perry. I won’t gross you with the details – strange that we humans, supposedly superior to our canine friends, spend our time contemplating, discussing, and otherwise obsessing over their stool, while they seem to care nothing about the condition of ours – but suffice it to say we left concerned and agreed to have the kennel personnel give him some Imodium.

We returned to POFQ and boarded a boat to Downtown Disney. The weather this week has been very pleasant, warm, but at times slightly cool, and nothing like the oppressive heat inexorably heading toward central Florida within a few weeks. So the boat ride was very nice. The captain wasn’t talkative; I remember captains in times past regaling us with stories of the river (no pirates, but, at least, tree houses). This time, though, there was virtually nothing. The tree houses were there, though, better than ever. The captain for the return trip said little, too, but did note that the 60-something tree house villas are nearly complete (May or June), are three bedrooms, house nine people, and are DVC, if I remember correctly. They look very good, with a new dock for boats.

Soon we were at Downtown Disney. I won’t describe every shop, but we had a good time. Unfortunately, the balloon – which rises 400 feet in the air for what must be an incredible view – was grounded due to high winds. We had walked all the way from one end to the other, so took the boat back to where we had started, and rode back to POFQ for a well-deserved nap.

Following the nap, we checked on Perry – his stool was better; aren’t you happy I told you? – and then drove to The Boardwalk. My Tonga Toast had taken up residence in my belly, so I wasn’t too hungry; but my wife, all 94 pounds of her, as the metabolism of a hummingbird, so was starving. I had hoped to score entry to Spoodles, but the line was very long, so gave up. Instead, we walked to the entrance to Epcot, then decided to take the boat all the way to the Swan and check out a new restaurant: Il Mulino New York Trattoria. I was wearing short – no diner should be subjected to such a sight – but was admitted post haste (probably so that I’d be seated before the retching began).

So how was the meal? Excellent. The Caesar Salad – Insalata Caesar for those of you who speak only Italian – was one of the best Caesars I’ve had in a long time. It’s so hard to get a good Caesar anymore, it seems (stupid Salmonella), so I was very pleased. I wasn’t terribly hungry, so ordered a ravioli with ricotta and a tomato sauce; my wife ordered the Tortellini All Panna (meat tortellini with peas and a cream sauce). The cream sauce really tasted like cream and was wonderful, if understated. We spurned dessert being so full, but the server treated us to a complimentary Limoncella, a sweet liqueur.

We then drove back to Epcot and checked on Perry. He seems better.

Tomorrow we switch hotels to Coronado Springs. I will miss POFQ, my petite mistress of the Sassagoula River.
    2014: BC; 2013: CS; 2012: POR, Dolphin; 2011: Hilton, Dolphin; 2010: POFQ, CSR; 2009: POFQ; 2008: HoJo DL, Royal Plaza; 2007: Saratoga; 2006: POP, BV, CSR; 2005: AS-Mu, Off-site, POFQ; 2004: POFQ, AS-Mo; 2003: CSR, AS-Mo, Royal Plaza; 2002: AS-Mu; AS-Mu, CBR, Off-site; 2001: WL; 2000: Landings/Magic

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We were just at the Swan last week and still have yet to try Il Mulino. I think that will be on our list for next time based on what you wrote!

Great report! Thanks for sharing!
    Brett

"Please stand clear of the doors...Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas"
    - Monorail

"Good news....we've made it WORSE!" TOT4

"But why's the rum gone?" - Captain Jack Sparrow

Post Thanks / Like

Anxiously awaiting update on Perry's "issues". Also your description of the Kona made me sooooo want to be there! your reports are awesome.
    -Beth

"For the last time, we did not order a giant trampoline! "

--------------

*first trip 1977
    *first trip on property - CR 1982 EPCOT opening
    * most recent trips: *Feb 08 & Nov 08 - CS, POFQ
    *Dec 2009 - POLY!
    *Jan 2011 - CR / POFQ & SEPTEMBER 2011 - POLY!

Post Thanks / Like

I hope Perry is ok- maybe just nervous being away from you guys. Poor thing. Great report! Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope Perry is okay. I really want to try Kona now. I've heard of Tonga Toast but this banana stuff sounds delish!!! I love the pace that ya'll seem to be enjoying the parks....seems perfect for a couple experienced in all things Disney w/ no kids.
    6/11 DCL Med
    5/11 DCL & Port Bay
    10/10 SOG
    6/10 Regal Sun
    5/2010 AKL
    6/09 POFQ
    2/09 OKW
    10/08 AS Movies
    7/07 Pop
    12/06 C Beach
    3/06 POFQ
    3/05 C Springs
    3/04 POP
    3/03 SOG
    4/02 Contemp
    3/01 SOG
    3/00 AS Music
    6/99 SOG
    5/98 Best Western LBV

Post Thanks / Like

Again, another great report. I feel like I am right there with you.
    Dec 2010 AKL
    May 2009 POFQ
    Oct 2008 Pop
    X-Mas 2007-POFQ
    May 2006 Pop
    June 2005 ASMu
    May 2002-Off Site
    Dec. 1999-Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

another great day!! you guys had some very yummy food today!
    hope perry is feeling more him self now!
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you didn't get to try out the new Hot Air Balloon. You certainly did have some very yummy dining on this day!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report. We hit Il Mulino on our last trip for the first time, having been totally disappointed with Tutto Italia. Glad we did - it's by far the best Italian food in WDW, and was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Glad to hear you enjoyed it too. It's now a regular on our restaurant rotation, replacing Tutto.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the Report!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR