Quantcast American Idol Season 8 - Page 23

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally love Adam, and his screaming. I think he is leaps and bounds above the remaining competition in terms of both pure talent and the ability to entertain. I'm not gonna attack anyone who doesn't though because I know that everyone doesn't have to like him, that's why there's so many different styles of music. I think Kris is very plain, but pleasant, and Danny is OK. Yes I would've rather had Allison stay but what can ya do.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

This could come down to a generation vote. The "younger" viewers like Adam and his over the top "broadway" antics, and the "older" viewers like the more soulful performances by Danny, or Kris' laid back "coffee house" presentations. Not to generalize by any stretch of the imagination..my 13 year old wants me to take her to see Danny tomorrow when he is making the rounds in Milwaukee. I just think Adam should show a little more imagination. His songs are very predictable in their presentation. Somewhere along the way there is a long shrill scream. The judges love it, and obviously some of the fans do too. The final four are definitely the most talented they have ever had. But that is just the view of an older, rounder grumpy person from Milwaukee..no bias here at all.
    1986 and 1991 offsite
    1998,2000,2001,2003,2004,2006,2008 movies
    1999, 2002 sports
    2005, 2007, 2009, 2011 pop
    2008 Riverside (Christmas Parade)
    2010 CB (25th anniversary)

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Adam's fans are all younger. Most of the younger people I know loved Allison and they like Kris. It's the older people I know who seem to love Adam, but I'm sure the truth is that he has a diverse audience, as they all must.

I love watching Adam. It's so great to finally see someone who knows how to perform and work a stage. But I understand he's not to everyone's taste. I couldn't stand David Cook last year, as a lot of people here already know. But everyone has the chance to vote and I think the best one usually does win. Even David Cook (I add, grudgingly). I also like Danny. Kris bores me, but I could see him winning. He's the vanilla of the competition, not everyone's favorite but a classic and always a safe bet.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I am one of the "older viewers", but I definitely prefer Adam (most of the time, anyway). I liked David Cook better last year too. I guess I like performers to have that "pow" factor, where they come out and really kick a song, rock or not. Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of "folksy" music artists, like James Taylor, Cat Stevens, John Mayer, Marc Cohn. But to sit and watch a talent show, I want to see people who make the songs interesting. Actually I think Kris usually does a good job of that, mixing in his own style with the songs. This past week was just not my favorite one with him. And Danny--he was like the front runner at the beginning of the season, but now he is being overshadowed by Adam's persona and I think he losing his steam. He has one of the richest voices I've ever heard in the competition, but lately he is sounding so uncertain when he sings. Just my opinion, of course.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's more about personal tastes.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I was recently told that I am the oldest Intercotee who posts on a regular basis and I love, love, love Adam. And if you think he always screams that just isn't so, take a look on youtube at his Wicked and other musical theater stuff.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 33 (not sure if that categorizes me as old) but I just can't stand Adam. And even though I'm from the Milwaukee area, it's actually Kris that is my favorite. I enjoy Danny's voice as well, but Adam is just too smarmy for me. I don't like his voice, his attitude, or the way he carries himself. He's way too confident for my taste.

But that's just my opinion.
    Amanda
    Wishes. Dreams. Magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

My take on last night:

Danny Gokey: “Dance Little Sister” and “You Are So Beautiful”

I liked Dance Little Sister. I thought he did a nice job on it, had really great vocals, and (despite looking somewhat goofy) brought good energy to the performance. I did not care for his You Are So Beautiful. It was dull, lifeless, and uninspired. Joe Cocker has an edge and a rawness to his voice that gives this song some power, but Danny just gave it a weak-kneed ballad take and that's not the kind of song this is. Bad song choice and not a great arrangement.

Kris Allen: “Apologize” and “Heartless”

I think Kris did the best he could with Apologize. His vocals were excellent, but it's an odd song and I wasn't gaga that Randy and Kara picked it for him.

I tell you what, though ... I flat-out LOVED his take on Heartless!! This may actually be the first AI song ever that I grab from iTunes. I've watched his performance 5 or 6 times again already and I just thought it was far and away the best of the night. Maybe one of the best of the season.

Which brings me to our Mr. Lambert ...

Adam Lambert: “One” and “Cryin’”

Okay, look. I know I started out down on Adam, but everyone should also know that I came around on him and he's pretty much been my favorite since mid-season or so.

But last night, I thought he was awful. That version of One actually made me want to throw up. It was just ridiculous. A complete mess. I don't know what the judges were on, but they have to have some kind of vested interest in his winning this thing because all that praise was just inexplicable. He was terrible, terrible, terrible.

Cryin' was a bit better, but still not even close to as good as he's been. He sort of reverted back to that oddball wailing he was doing earlier in the season and I really, really hate it. IMO, he was the worst of the night by far.

Now that being said, I obviously think he deserves to continue on based on past performances and I'm certain he will. Unfortunately, I think the judges efforts to oust Kris for the 4th or 5th week in a row will finally pay off and we'll have a Danny vs. Adam final.

I'm not that big a Danny fan, really, so I'll be pretty disappointed. I like Kris much better.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Mostly, Ian, I agree with you. Kris hasn't been my favorite. He bores me most of the time. But his Heartless performance was amazing, the best of the night and really good. I enjoyed it.

I like Danny, but I don't think he punched up his act as much as he needed to stay in it last night.

Adam, my favorite, but he wasn't my favorite last night. I still think he's an incredible performer and I agree that he's probably one of the most, if not the most, outstanding contestants they've had (not that he'll top the recording success of others, but as a contestant, he has been fascinating to watch). But not last night. I would have loved ONE if he'd kept it low key, as he started, with a powerful build but not to the screech zone. And his choice of Cryin' was a rare misstep for someone so stage-savvy. It was the closest to karaoke he might ever get. So, for me, Adam should be in the final, but he lost some ground last night while Kris gained by leaps and bounds. And Danny stayed stagnant. I see an Adam-Kris final ahead, barring a big surprise.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't thrilled with Adam's performances last night either--kind of wished that he he had been a little less Hollywood/a little more raw rocker on One. His style suited Cryin' much better though.

I liked both of Danny's performances; can't say that I understand all the grief the judges give him on his dancing though. He's just moving to the music, it's no better and no worse than most of the other contestants have been. Maybe I'm just not getting the big picture because I'm not there in person.

Kris was very weak on Apologize, IMO--no zing at all. And I wasn't familar with Heartless, but my son was and he definitely did not agree with Randy that the Kris' version was better than the original. I know that it didn't spark any interest for me either, so I guess I feel differently than those of you who thought it was great.

I'd have to say that I hope that Kris goes home tonight. But it could be Danny as well, who knows.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I was actually glad to see Simon jump on Kara for dissing Kris' first performance. I mean, he was right...Kara and Randy told Kris to sing it, then Kara bashed him for singing it! She didn't like having this fact pointed out at all.

I didn't like either of Adam's performances, but at least Simon took the trouble to oversee the song he suggested.

I agree completely that the judges/producers apparently have a vested interest in seeing Adam win this thing. I find myself wondering how badly the guy would have to mess up before someone actually commented on it. Maybe if he fell off the edge of the stage?
    1992...off site
    1996...Dixie Landings
    1997...off site
    2000...Dixie Landings
    2002...Wilderness Lodge
    2004...POR
    2004...POFQ
    2005...15th anniversary!
    2007...October trip with the DD's!
    2008.. October trip! Woooohoooo!!
    2010...April trip! DD's are marching in the MK!

War Eagle!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Boojum View Post
    I agree completely that the judges/producers apparently have a vested interest in seeing Adam win this thing. I find myself wondering how badly the guy would have to mess up before someone actually commented on it. Maybe if he fell off the edge of the stage?
    After what I saw last night and the way the judges reacted, I'm not even sure falling off the stage would do it.

They'd probably call it "artistic stage pagentry" or something!
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    After what I saw last night and the way the judges reacted, I'm not even sure falling off the stage would do it.

They'd probably call it "artistic stage pagentry" or something!

1992...off site
    1996...Dixie Landings
    1997...off site
    2000...Dixie Landings
    2002...Wilderness Lodge
    2004...POR
    2004...POFQ
    2005...15th anniversary!
    2007...October trip with the DD's!
    2008.. October trip! Woooohoooo!!
    2010...April trip! DD's are marching in the MK!

War Eagle!

Post Thanks / Like

I was actually glad to see Simon jump on Kara for dissing Kris' first performance. I mean, he was right...Kara and Randy told Kris to sing it, then Kara bashed him for singing it! She didn't like having this fact pointed out at all.
    Ha I agree with you about how Kara acted. I have always thought that she can be really over the top with her comments. I do like Adam and think that he is really talented and unique. I have liked him since the very beginning during auditions. Kris is a good singer but I find him boring at times but he did way better than Danny last night.

Who knows what is going to happen tonight with the eliminations. I hope it ends up being Adam & Kris in the finals.
    ~Ashley~
    ~ºOº 83-93 -Poly
    96-ASMu
    2x 2006- POR
    2x 2007- CBR/POR
    2008- AKL
    2009- CR
    Apr 2010- Poly
    Oct 2010- AKL & Poly
    Next trip Mar 2011 GF ºOº~

Here you leave today - and visit the worlds of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy

Post Thanks / Like

Throughout the whole season, Adam has been my favorite. My other favorites got voted off already. My least favorite by far is Danny Gokey. Ew ew ew! I just don't get what the big deal is about him. But, i'm sure people feel that way about Adam.

Based on LAST NIGHT only, I think it should be an Adam/Kris finale.

Kris has always somewhat bored me in the past. They always said he was great at spinning the song and changing the arrangement. To me, he just used the same "ideas" for every arrangement. They all ended up sounding a little too similar for me. Vocally, he isn't crazy talented but he's got a decent tone that is pleasant to the ear. Though, last night, he definitely surprised me and for the first time I thought "Wow, I liked that!" He deserves to be in the finale over Gokey. Definitely.

Gokey... I just don't get it, dawg. I think his performance of "Dream On" really showed that he is a one-trick pony and when he goes outside of his comfort zone, he blows it big time. I think he got this far, somewhat because of his "story" rather than is raw talent. *don't flame me* Also, I noticed that the other contestants don't really seem to like him too much. On quite a few occasions i've seen Danny go to touch/embrace another contestant and they seem to shrug him off. It's odd and i'm still trying to figure it out.

Now, onto Adam! He is, without a doubt, the most unique character/performer that AI has ever seen. He's had some brilliant performances that make me think "I can't believe this is American Idol... he's already a star!!" He is the only contestant left that is totally marketable. I don't know how you would market Danny! Kris... that would be tough because his personality is a little lack-luster. But, Adam already has an image, a specific style, a specific vocal quality.. he just has it all. Last night, I didn't care for his performances as much as I have in the past but they still were not BAD by any means. I would have liked him to keep the duration of "One" more similar to how he sang it in the beginning. He went a little off the melody. Cryin' was a great choice for him. Really went with his voice and his style. Plus, I love Aerosmith.

I'm crossing my fingers for a Kris/Adam finale.

Hey! Anyone get Idol Tour tickets?!?!?!? I'm going to take my two nieces and mother to Grand Rapids, MI! We got 7th row center!!
    -Stacey

"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish.”

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome." -Walter Elias Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not familiar with the Kanye song, either, but I know Kanye's style and recognize that Kris brought something new to the song. I'm not a fan of Kanye, so I definitely think the pared down more musical, less electronic version was an improvement, and actually very good.

Paula should have been razzed for her song choice for Danny far more than Randy-Kara for Kris's choice. I think Simon was a little off there. Randy and Kara gave Kris a radio-friendly favorite, a song everyone knows but one that isn't so set in stone that he couldn't have played with it. Kris failed the song. The song didn't fail Kris. But with Danny, different story. Paula sunk him with a song no one knows. I don't care how many copies it sold when it came out twenty or more years ago, it doesn't have longevity. And Terrence Trent D'Arby and Danny have nothing in common as far as artistic style. Have kids today even heard of Terrence Trent D'Arby? It was a mess, not because of Danny but because it's a song he shouldn't have had to sing in a contest that rides on popularity.

I wrote off round one and judged them more by what they presented us in round two, songs they chose for themselves. Danny went safe and boring (but did pick it up at the end, I still love the tone of his voice). Kris went all out. And Adam didn't really deliver, but even at his luke warmest, he still radiates stage presence.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

My friend just pointed out something interesting. Kara's publishing co, Arthouse, evidently owns the rights to "Apologize." (Wikipedia!)

Hmmmm . . . . that explains a lot for me!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by FaithTrustPixieDust View Post
    Hmmmm . . . . that explains a lot for me!!
    Such as?
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    Such as?
    Such as??? Such as???

You don't think that presents just a minor conflict of interest there?? As in, maybe Kara recommended the song to get the song some free publicity and spur sales rather than because she thought it was actually a good choice for the artist???

Personally, I think that's a huge deal and if I was Kris and I got voted off I would call foul. He was criticized primarly because it wasn't a great song choice for him!
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Such as??? Such as???

You don't think that presents just a minor conflict of interest there?? As in, maybe Kara recommended the song to get the song some free publicity and spur sales rather than because she thought it was actually a good choice for the artist???

Personally, I think that's a huge deal and if I was Kris and I got voted off I would call foul. He was criticized primarly because it wasn't a great song choice for him!
    I agree that it's sketchy but the song is already a record-breaking hit, so it's not as if she needed to go there. I was more troubled to read that Archuleta sang it with One Republic at last year's final. I'd forgotten that, but why give him a song with a memorable AI history at all? And even after all that, I'm still more troubled with Paula's choice for Danny. That's an over twenty year old song that never even broke number thirty on the charts. And then we have Simon's blatant favoritism with that whole U2 story. I think all of the judges failed in their picks this week. But the contestants all had that shot of redemption with their own song choice and some (Kris) used it better than others (Danny and Adam).
    Sherri

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: