Quantcast AUGUST Trip........

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default AUGUST Trip........

We are visiting Disney again for the second time this year!!! We are going Aug 20th - 28th and staying at POP again!!! YEA!!! This will be our first time being in Florida in August. Could anyone give me some feedback on your experiences being in Disney in August. THANK You.....in advance!

Kim

1984 MAY- OFF PROPERTY Senior Class Trip!!
    1985-86 May- OFF PROPERTY
    2005 MARCH- OFF PROPERTY
    2007 FEBRUARY - POP
    2008 AUG.- POP
    2009 MARCH - POR
    2009 AUG.-POLY
    2010 AUG. - POP
    2011 AUG. - POP
    2012 APRIL - All STAR MOVIES
    2013 DEC.-POP
    2014 AUG.-AOA
    2015 APRIL- CSR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default August Trip

We have gone either at the end of August or early September for the last 10 years. It will be very hot and humid and a rain shower at some point in the afternoon as well as potential hurricanes. The parks are not too overly crowded, but they will be crowded. We do prefer early September as the crowds are minimal and it seems more enjoyable. Both DD's will be in high school this year and do not want to miss their first week of school. So, we go again from 8/21-8/30/09 this year. Looking forward to it no matter what !!

Post Thanks / Like

We typically go the 3rd week of August. We've been doing that since 2005 and only last year did we encounter any inclement weather (TS Faye).

It is very hot and insanely humid, but we take lots of water (and ice cream) breaks. We take it easy and duck out around 1 for a pool break.

Make sure you're getting enough water and listen to your body--and the littler bodies.

We're going August 15-22.
    Jen

Next trip: Beach Club Villas; August 2011.

Post Thanks / Like

We also have been going to WDW in August for the past several years. This year Aug. 18 - Aug 26. We are also from NJ (South) and the weather is not much different. It is a little bit more humid in Florida, but hot is hot. Stock up on the bottled water and take advantage of some of the indoor airconditioned attractions. The afternoon pool breaks are always a good idea.
    Have fun and don't forget a poncho or umbrella
    Chris
    Last Trip: SSR 02/2009 (Just wife & I)
    Next Trip: AKV 08/2009 Savanah View
    DVC Members Since 2004
    Annual Passholders
    1970's - Present Many Trips To WDW & DL!
    "I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."

Post Thanks / Like

REALLY, REALLY hot and humid! On our first ever August trip we stayed at the Beach Club and it was the best decision we ever made. Because of the heat we were close enough to the resort when we were in either Epcot or DHS that we cold take a mid afternoon break, head back to the BC and swim in the pool.

I would certainly lighten any commando park plans you may have so you give yourself enough time for an afternoon resort pool or water park break.

As hot as it was we loved when we went. The evening weather was perfect for swimming or just strolling around the resort or park. The parks are open later at that time as well which again allows some mid-day downtime.

You will love it.
    Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Count us in on the August regulars. We also have gone other times of the year in addition to August, but being a school teacher really limits when we can go. Way I see it is, if I gotta be hot and sweaty somewhere, it might as well be somewhere I like.

Only one year we happened to go between hurricanes, and the weather couildn't be more perfect! The storms took the humidity with them that year, and temps were in the mid 80's. We were there last year with Faye also. and the best part was the parks were fairly empty. We will be there the 12th to the 16th, then it's off to the Wonder, then back to AKV for one more night.
    ~Coach Rick~
    Rhode Island

Post Thanks / Like

We typically spend the last two weeks of August in WDW. And as the month moves on to its end, the crowds lighten up by the day.

One thing we've found is that you know it's going to rain in the afternoon as soon as the parade in the MK finishes!!!

The rain showers are typically intense but brief. Give 'em an hour, they're gone (in most cases). Last August, however, we had 3+ days of a tropical storm... lots of rain, lots of wind, but it kept crowd levels down and we had loads of fun wearing our ponchos.

It'll be hot. Darned hot!
    Be forwarned - you'll experience humidity of over 90% on a daily basis. Open your room/villa door, and BAM, the humidity is like a wall of water. Make sure you have tons of water to drink - be it tap or bottled. We wind up dropping a fortune on bottled water - let's put it this way, in EPCOT, we just automatically purchase 4 bottles in each country, even if we just "walk through."

But alas, I love WDW, be it in August, February, or any month of the year... Just plan to hit some rain. Plan to beat it out of the parks in the heat of the day (usually 1-5 PM), and make use of evening hours. We're early risers, and avoid AM EMH's, but I gotta tell you, it's something to at least consider in August. Early mornings and later evenings are the best times to avoid the sweat!
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I will agree that it is HOT (but we live in the hot valley of California, which gets around 2 weeks in the summer of over 100F, so it is all relative). The crowds are not horrible, we especially enjoy the hour before the water parks open to get a little refreshment before starting the day in one of the other parks. One little thing that I have started doing is bringing a lightweight button down long sleeve top that can go in my backpack we are outside. Then I can put it on when we are in the air-conditioning. After getting all sweaty outside then going in the AC I can get too chilled.
    Have a great time!
    nicci
    1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 ASM
    2004 CSR
    2006 ASM
    2007 CBR
    2009 CBR
    2019 CBR
    DL 1971 to now - too many times to count, DL AP holder & Disney stockholder

Post Thanks / Like

we have been to disney in aug 3 times this will be our 4th time when we visit this year. I love it in aug the crowds are down a little and we have something to look forward to the whole summer I live in Mass there really is nothing for the kids to do in the town that I come from we also go because they offer the free ddp and we save alot of money with 4 kids I am sure you will like it. It does rain at least everyday. but it is alot of relief from the heat. I almost look forward to it.I can't wait until aug 18 we are actually staying 2 weeks we usually only stay 10 days.
    Trips To WDW
    WDW-1991-Off Site
    WDW-2001-Off Site
    WDW-2005-Off Site
    Aug 2006 all star movies
    Aug 2008 POP Century
    Aug 2009-POP

April 2010-ASMu
    Aug 2011 all star music

Post Thanks / Like

We always go in August and it is hot, but going in and out of air conditioned shows and rides is refreshing. Drink lots of water and apply lots of sunscreen.
    To keep cool, we usually take an afternoon break and go back to our hotel for a swim around 12 or 1, which is the hottest time of day. Also, around the parks, those spray fans work well. If you don't want to buy one, you could always get a wet paper towel from the bathroom and put it around the back of your neck (it looks stupid, but it works well!) or you could ask for some ice from one of the stands holding the spray fans and hold it in your hands, if your hands keep cold, your body will stay cold.
    We always have fun in August, the crowds are lower than normal. It does rain in August a lot, but you can always stay in a building until it stops. Usually it rains for like 10 minutes and then its done. (The longest we waited was last year, for 2 hrs under the Lunching Pad in Tomorrowland, but I thought it was fun!)
    Have fun and stay cool! ( I am going this year the same time you are, can't wait!)
    -IamBelle
    VMK: DaffyD
    Trips to WDW
    June 2001on my B-Day!Off Prop.
    August 2005 Off Prop.
    August 2006 ASMov.
    August 2008- Pop Century
    August 2009-ASMu
    April 2010-ASMu w/marching band
    Aug. 2011 ASMu
    Aug. 2012 Off Prop.
    Aug 2013 Off prop.
    Next:Aug 2014??

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you've had positive responses I loved our August trip and will do it again someday. It is hot but at the end of August it isn't as busy so you really move in and out of air conditioned areas quite often. The hot summer nights are awesome! Love them!
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

We've been twice in August, and the best advice I can give is to use air-conditioning whenever possible.

For example, walk through stores when you can, do as many indoor attractions in the heat of the day as you can.

You can never drink too much water, so take some Crystal Light if you don't love the taste of the Florida water and fill up your water bottles every chance you have.

We tried to swim in the afternoon, but found that was when the storms would roll through, so we changed to staying the parks a bit longer, seeing a longer (air-conditioned) show, and then heading back for a quick swim before dinner.

We also swam every night before bed, and it was wonderful actually feeling cold before climbing to bed.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Somehow once we get to the Park, we just can't talk ourselves into leaving to go back to the Resort for a swim - even in the heat of August. Or maybe it's the heat of August that makes us not want to walk back to the front of the Park to get on the bus to go!

Instead, we end up doing more indoor shows that we might normally do. I had to strong arm my kids into the Hall of Presidents for the AC, and now it's a favorite. I expect to do the same with some of the "girlie" musical shows this year - which is great for me because I'm the only girl of the 5 of us! "Come on - there's air conditioning...." Maybe they won't roll their eyes if I say it that way!

We usually go for 10 nights at the end of August, so we can alternate park days with water park/DisneyQuest/other stuff days. Now that you get 5 "water park and more" days with a 5 day park pass, it's a no brainer for us - and the non-park day gives us a cooler day.

Post Thanks / Like

We have had no choice but to go during the summer as dh is a teacher...so we have nothing to compare it too..I guess if you're used to going in cooler months it would be a hard adjustment...but for us this is all we know. It's also hot in Philly when we leave and hot in Orlando - no real shock! We take advantage of am EMH's go in and out of air conditioning and head back to pool in afternoon. I always bring those water fans for the kids which distract them well. I always go prepared for daily afternoon rain- and we have actually been spoiled with no rain yet - I guess we're in for it this year. My dh HATES heat...and he never complained...he has already bought his under armour shirts,socks,shorts and undies for our Aug trip

Post Thanks / Like

I was there same time frame last year, it was really hot and humid. I am used to it because Boston is also pretty hot and humid during the summer. Also all the indoor attractions help with the heat.

I heard thunder almost everyday but most of the time it was off in the distance. If it was a direct hit, there was tons of lighting, louds cracks, and so much rain. They usuallly last no more than 20 minutes.

The crowds werent bad. Most attractions were under 10-30 minutes except Toy Story at DHS, Test Track, and Soarin.

I am going the same week again this year.
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

We usually go in August (or have several times) We enjoyed the lower crowds. It is hot but since we are from LA (lower Alabama) we are used to it and utilize the AC when possible. We never go back to the resort for swimming or whatever. Too much trouble. That may change this year since we are staying at the Poly and it will be closer. We utilize Morning EMH when possible before it gets hot. I think you will be fine.
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: