Quantcast Fast Pass System Flaw

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fast Pass System Flaw

My friend told me the following about FP's and a cast member confirmed it to my husband:

Fast Passes can be used anytime after the starting time. The ending time doesn't matter. So if you miss your specified hour to ride it doesn't matter. Just come anytime.

If this is true, and we did do it once, then this would mess up the system. I guess this is why the FP lines had 20 minute waits sometimes. The whole purpose is to only have "so" many people coming back at certain times.

I am sure this varies with cast members. I think they should enforce the hour time on your FP.
    1973 FW(in mom's womb)1974-1994 too many! FW1997,1998, 2000 WL Jan.2001, CS June 2001, FW 2002, 2004, July 2005-No Kids!, CS Nov 2005 Free Lady Emily Trip, AM May 2006, FW Dec-Jan 2006-2007, FW June 2009, House off site 2012, FW Spring Break 2013, FW Spring Break 2016, Staybridge 2018 No kids! AP

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This has been the case since day one. As long as you return the same day and after the start time of the FastPass, you will almost always be allowed on the ride.

Now, there have been a few comments where people have said that some CMs WILL check the end time for the FastPass and hold you to it, but they are few and far between.

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely agree with Casey on this one, you should be held to the time on your FP ticket.

That being said, there are instances where some compassion can/should be shown. I don't have children but it is my understanding that they have the tendancy to delay things that can not be forseen from time to time!

In conclusion, maybe the time printed +30 or so?...
    Oct 10 - Bay Lake?
    May 10 - Polynesian
    Dec 09 - Beach Club
    July 09 - Grand Floridian
    May 08 - Polynesian
    Dec 07 - Contemporary/AKL
    Jan 06 - Boardwalk Villas
    Jan 05 - Beach Club
    "To all who come to this happy place, welcome."

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I don't think that many people know this. We have been within 10 min of missing our time and didn't try to use the passes. It wasn't until a couple of months ago that I even found out you can do that.
    Yacht Club May 2015
    AoA Holiday 2013
    Pop Century May 2012, July 2011, May 2008, and May 2006
    All Star Music Sept 2007
    All Star Movies May 2006
    Many Trips as a Child Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Swan, Dolphin, and Board Walk

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, most people do not know about this. For the most part it holds true, but if you are hours late, many CMs will at least question you about it. The end time is not firm because Disney does not want to cause controversy if you were late because your kid got sick, you were stuck at dinner, a tram, on another ride too long, etc. Its easier just to say ok. Returning at the specified time is in your best interest as the line will be less during that time because you are already accounted for. Every -100-150 people (depending on the attraction) FP clicks forward 5 minutes. When you come back later, you add (x)number of people in addition to that total, making FP lines longer. Also FP could get backed up due to breakdowns or poor CM regualtion of FP/Stand by lines
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I actually like the fact that if we miss our time we can use it later. We always try to meet the FP return time, but on occasion we've been in line for something else and it's nice to know we can still use it later.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a lot of FastPasses on my trips and very rarely use them within their window. I prefer to collect the passes during the morning and early afternoon hours when the parks are not too awful busy and then use them late afternoon/early evening when the place is jammed. With a family of 5, we will often accumulate 25-30 passes (5 or 6 sets) before using any of them.

I have never, ever been questioned about this by an employee. In fact, the employees very rarely even count the passes when we turn them in.

My estimation is that I used about 30 sets of FastPasses on a recent trip. At least 25 of them were used outside of their one hour window. Only twice were they even counted to see if I really had five of them.

Post Thanks / Like

While I will agree that there are some times when being late can't be avoided but as someone already posted when you don't go at your assigned time that makes everyone's wait time longer even your own.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer1981 View Post
    Returning at the specified time is in your best interest as the line will be less during that time because you are already accounted for.
    Exactly right. Imagine what an attraction's FP queue might look like if, for example, a thousand guests waited until after the parade to use their expired FastPasses. The FP line might suddenly become longer than the Standby line.

Also, the practice of allowing late returns is completely unofficial. It is not a guarantee. In fact the CMs at Soarin' have been known to turn away late arriving guests on busy days.

It's always best to return during the window printed on your FP. This helps the CMs keep the lines manageable, and might possibly help you avoid inconvenience or embarrassment.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

I would imagine that many fastpasses go unused during the day so I don't think that the few people returning past their "allotted" time are making that big of a difference on the fastpass line. If a CM wants to let them through who am I to argue? Besides, I wouldn't want to be the CM who has to decide who has the legitimate excuse for being "late".

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

I love fastpass! Our last trip was the first time we had been there since they were put in and I loved using them. We knew about the return times being overlooked somewhat but always tried to get back in the time frame. I think we were only late once and the CM didn't want an explanation or anything. Of course earlier that day, same ride, we got there two minutes early and the CM watched us checking our watches, the return times, etc. repeatedly and just standing there. Finally, while laughing at us, he took pity and said you do realize it is only 30 seconds early? It'll take you that long to walk the rest of the way to the line! He let us on through. I don't think there is anything wrong with letting people in a little late. Things come up, especially with little kids and bathroom breaks/snack breaks/etc. It should still be the same day though like now.
    șoș Tiffany șoș

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beksy View Post
    Of course earlier that day, same ride, we got there two minutes early and the CM watched us checking our watches, the return times, etc. repeatedly and just standing there. Finally, while laughing at us, he took pity and said you do realize it is only 30 seconds early? It'll take you that long to walk the rest of the way to the line! He let us on through. I don't think there is anything wrong with letting people in a little late. Things come up, especially with little kids and bathroom breaks/snack breaks/etc. It should still be the same day though like now.
    We have done the same thing. I think the CM's get a kick out of it. They normally will let us go a couple minutes early.
    Yacht Club May 2015
    AoA Holiday 2013
    Pop Century May 2012, July 2011, May 2008, and May 2006
    All Star Music Sept 2007
    All Star Movies May 2006
    Many Trips as a Child Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Swan, Dolphin, and Board Walk

Post Thanks / Like

i guess i have to disagree. i think this isn't a flaw but a blessing. and i don't think if you miss your window you are messing up wait times. how many times have you gotten a fast pass and never used it? at least a few. things come up- meltdowns. when i don't use my fast pass in the window printed that means some lucky person in the standby line gets to wait less.

kate
    Oct 07 POR
    Oct 08 ASMo
    Jan 09 ASMu
    SEP 09 ASMo
    DEC 09 CBR-solo trip
    Dec 10 Pop
    Oct 11 CS
    Oct 12 CSR, Dream
    Dec 12 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I never understood that "policy" but it's in keeping with Disney's avoid scenes with guests at all costs even though it's at the expense of people that follow the rules. It's also in keeping with people making sure they get theres these days.

I never thought it was that difficult to get back to the ride within the hour window printed on the FP ticket. If my FP return time is 1:10 - 2:10, I dont try to squeeze in another ride at 1:00 on the other side of the park. If the scheduled return window is 12:15-1:15 and I have a 12:00 ADR, I don't take the FP. I have been to Disney at least a dozen times and can count on one hand the number of times I got stuck on a ride that brokedown.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    While I will agree that there are some times when being late can't be avoided but as someone already posted when you don't go at your assigned time that makes everyone's wait time longer even your own.
    But wouldn't that make there no net change?

If I have just one fastpass for a 1 hour window and I don't go during that 1 hour, I've sped up the line during that hour by one person.

Then, if I go 45 minutes after the end of the time, I've slowed the line down by one person, thereby making a net change of no lost time.

I also like being able to use a FP after the time window, for the same reason as a previous poster with a larger family.
    Proud dad of Olivia Mei Grace, adopted from China July 2006
    Disney Marathon 2004
    Disney Half Marathon 2010
    Goofy Challenge 2011

Post Thanks / Like

We have known this for years and was hoping it would remain more of a secret !! Just kidding......We have NEVER been questioned as to the time of our passes, EVER !! We have used them many multiple hours later, and not to beat the system, but we did it because a CM told us years ago that we could do it....I'm sure it'll change eventually, but for now it's a good thing....
    STEELER SUPERBOWL CHAMPS: 1974, 1975, 1978, 1979, 2005, and 2008 !

[SIZE="1"]1978 OFF SITE CAMPING
    JUNE 2004 POR
    JULY 2005 POR
    AUGUST 2006 POR
    JUNE - JULY 2007 POR
    DEC 2008- JAN 2009 POR
    JUNE 2009 POR
    JUNE 2010 POR
    JANUARY 2011 POP CENTURY
    APRIL 2011 Planning Stages

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Grinning Marathon Runner View Post
    But wouldn't that make there no net change?

If I have just one fastpass for a 1 hour window and I don't go during that 1 hour, I've sped up the line during that hour by one person.

Then, if I go 45 minutes after the end of the time, I've slowed the line down by one person, thereby making a net change of no lost time.

I also like being able to use a FP after the time window, for the same reason as a previous poster with a larger family.

Maybe you did speed up the line by not going during your time. The problem is if lots of people hold on to their passes until late afternoon then the FP lines are twice as long as they should be. This is what we experienced 2 weeks ago. In the past the fast pass lines have had little or no wait at all. You could walk all the way to the front of the line and then wait to be told to get on. Lines were out on the streets this time. I couldn't believe it.

There would not be a net change of no lost time. It doesn't work that way.

The times will have to be enforced if the system is going to work.

Like a previous posters, we are never late for our time. We plan on being there at the beginning of our time so we won't be late. We were late once after we found out your could do that but I felt really bad about it!
    1973 FW(in mom's womb)1974-1994 too many! FW1997,1998, 2000 WL Jan.2001, CS June 2001, FW 2002, 2004, July 2005-No Kids!, CS Nov 2005 Free Lady Emily Trip, AM May 2006, FW Dec-Jan 2006-2007, FW June 2009, House off site 2012, FW Spring Break 2013, FW Spring Break 2016, Staybridge 2018 No kids! AP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badkitty View Post
    I would imagine that many fastpasses go unused during the day
    I think that this is very true...There have been many times when our fast pass time would be late in the day and we would not even be in that park by the return time...We have given ours to other people in the parks though...
    Amy
    80 Camping șoș
    89 Offsite șoș
    05 ASM șoș
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR șoș

Post Thanks / Like

After many times at the world we just were told on our last trip that we could come later..mind you that was after running to Everest from another location in the park to make our end time. We must have looked really dumb.

It was nice to know but I would agree it cramps the line a bit.
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

Post Thanks / Like

Using FastPasses after their "return window" was outlined in the Unofficial Guide back in 2001,eight years ago. This is nothing new and should not be considered a "flaw" in the system.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: