Quantcast My first trip! So excited! - Pre-report trip

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Talking My first trip! So excited! - Pre-report trip

The Players:
    Me - 30yo
    My Brother - 26 yo
    My Son - 5yo
    My Daughter - 2.5 yo

So we're officially TEN days out from our FIRST EVER trip to WDW! Growing up, my family didnt have a lot of money, so "family trips" were usually just to visit relatives -- not a lot of fun. It's been hard not to be too excited for WDW as my DH is going back to Iraq and not understanding the whole HYPE for our trip... but the kids are excited too! (Which is good b/c I hope it will help the kids have something to "look forward" to instead of missing their dad).

So I'm trying to do my "research" and just trying to be knowledgable about things (not making any concrete plans since the whole objective of WDW is to have fun, not be an agenda dictator! LOL) Any tips/tricks/recommendations would greatly help!

I CANT WAIT!!!!!!
    Taking the hubby and parents for the first time... did I mention the kids won't know 'til we show up?! :)

Wilderness Lodge - July 2009
    Off site - March 2012

"I create feelings in others that they themselves don't understand. "

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You are staying in a great place WL is very nice and convenient travel with the boats. You should do some planning for each day if you notice most regulars have a "game plan" for each day and map out what they want to do in each park. Being this is your first time don't get frustrated with lines to attractions. Try to Fastpass the more popular rides and ask questions when you need to. You will have a blast.

I don't know your husband but I consider him a hero of mine for his service to our country

GOD BLESS HIM AND YOUR FAMILY AND MAY HE HAVE A SAFE RETURN.
    Offsite:73,77,79,82,92,94,98,00,04
    Onsite:Music 06,07 POP:07,08,09

Post Thanks / Like

I have to first agree with BPATSMouse and thank your husband for his service to our country. If not for him, and others like him, we would not get to go to Disney World. Please thank him for me!

You and your brother and kids will have a truly amazing time. WL is so beautiful, the pool there is phenomenal, Whispering Canyon is the perfect restaurant for kids your age (so if you get a chance, go!), and don't forget to get "1st Timer" buttons for all of you. The cast members really pay attention to those buttons and make your trip even more magical.

If you get autographs from the characters, ask if you can get two each time, and then you can make some great photos of the kids and attach the autographs and send them to your husband. When he sees how much fun the kids had, he'll want to go with you again when he gets home! There's always Shades of Green!

Have an amazing time!
    Karen

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
    "So it is."
    "And freezing."
    "Is it?"
    "Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

Post Thanks / Like

i hope you have a wonderful time!!!
    thank you to your hubby for his services..
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

First I also thank your husband and your family for serving our country.

Second, for a first time visit it is essential that you have a plan each park. The danger is, without a plan, your family will become overwhelmed and you find yourselves sitting on a bench not knowing what to do next or where to head to.

Two tips:
    1. You are going at a busy time. Get to the parks early - be waiting at the front gate as the park opens. You can see more in the first 90 minutes than you can in hours IF you beat the crowds. Don't wander in and have breakfast. Hit the main attractions in that first 90 minutes. You will walk on rides that later will have hour long waits.
    2. Ask a lot of questions. The castmembers love to be helpful and will take care of you if you just ask.

One more thing- stop at guest relations (not first thing when gates open but come back) and get " first time visitor" buttons. They are free and castmembers will even be more friendly and eager to help you out.

Have a great time!
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to your family for your service.

We loved WL. The most important tip is to get to the parks EARLY. It can be like having the entire park to your selves for an hour or so.

I thought I heard that a few years ago Conde Nast Travel magazine named WL the best family resort in America.

Dinner at WCC is fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on your first WDW trip. One suggestion I read is for every member of your party to pick one ride/attraction at each park that would be their first choice of something to do and try to do those 4 things first. That way everyone gets their first choice wish. Do alot of research on all the wonderful choices. There are many websites (Intercot being the best!) to research. Have a wonderful time planning.
    Again, thanks to your DH for his service in Iraq. My nephew-in-law just got deployed so I am keeping all our service men in my prayers.
    Dixie Landings 94,96,98
    POR 2006
    POFQ 2008,2009,2011
    Boardwalk 2013
    POFQ 2016

Post Thanks / Like

What a great way to help your kids through a difficult time! Thank you and your husband for your selflessness.

My suggstions:

Get the kids a Birnbaum's for kids book and have it double as an autograph book. Pre-trip, it's great for letting them pick out attractions and post trip, the autographs and amazing photography make a great keepsake. My dd still has her 2003 book (she was 4) and looks at it from time to time. The books are at Barnes and Noble.

I second the tip about having everyone pick out a couple of favorite attractions. We do this and promise that they will be must-dos, and everything else will be bonus. This really helps prevent end of day melt-downs because someone didn't get to do what they wanted.

Take advantage of EMH in the morning - especially at MK. Go straight to Fantasyland and get on Dumbo, Peter Pan and Winnie the Pooh - the lines for these get longer as the day goes on.

You don't mention how long you are staying, but taking a half day break from the parks is always a great way to calm things down. Enjoy the WL pool, take the boat over to FW and enjoy some of their recreation opportunities (canoeing, pony rides) or take in the campfire and movie.

If you have your own transportation, stop at a supermarket on your way in and pick up water and snacks (we like to get fruit and other healthy snacks).

But most of all, have a great trip!
    Daytrip 2001
    HI FamilySuites (now Nick Hotel) 2003
    POR - 2005
    WL 2006, 2007

Cabins 2008
    Jan. '10 DS turns 5 - quick trip with Mommy at ASMo
    June '10 Grand Gathering at the Cabins
    Fall '11 POP last minute surprise
    Summer 2012 Beach Club and Cars Art of Animation

Post Thanks / Like

Have a BLAST!!

Post Thanks / Like

Big thanks to your DH for his service.
    Have a great time. Take things slow and know that you will not see/do everything there is at WDW.
    TRACEY
    șOș

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

Have a wonderful time with your family. Easy to do In the Happiest place on earth. Be sure to let us know all about it!!!
    "I'm so hungry! I sure hope those Princesses' can cook!" my DD before our breakfast at CRT

Post Thanks / Like

First a big t\, my attempt at a salute to your husband but also to you for holding down the home front! His job is important but yours may be more important!

OK tips, go with some sort of game plan to each park each day. Doesn't mean its cast in stone because this is Disney and MAGIC happens!! BUt since you have little ones I would suggest Fantasyland first thing because later in day those lines will get long! If you and your Bro both want to do a ride the CM used to give Parent Passes - one would ride and then other could basically skip to front of line or use FP. Plan an afternoon break but let the kids decide that, if they want to keep goin and are not cranky then keep on goin! And do not be afraid or think twice about asking a CM or even a guest to use your camera and take a picture of all of you together! CM's will definitely do it and almost every guest will too.
    Most importantly, HAVE FUN! Sure you will!
    Bazz
    81 - Offsite, 97,98 - Dixie Landings
    99 - BWV - DVC Member
    00 - BWV/DCL-Wonder
    01 - BWV,OKW, 02, 03 - OKW
    04 - OKW, SSR
    05 - SSR - May, OKW-Aug, BCV-OCT
    06 - SSR - May, SSR - Aug, VWL-OCT
    07 - SSR - Jan, OKW - Jul, SSR,BCV -Oct
    08 - SSR - May, SSR - Jul, SSR - Sep

Post Thanks / Like

Have a wonderful time! Disney will be a nice boost for all of you as you deal with your husband being away!

Thank him for all the good he does for all of us!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

My thanks go out to your husband. If it were not fot the men and women who serve and protect this country we would not have the freedoms such as WDW!
    I am so excited for you and your family knowing that this is your first ever trip. Try your best to take it all in because as soon as you return home you are going to wish you were back in WDW. It truly is a magical place.
    Your kids will love it, but dont be suprised if you love it more.
    I do suggest with two small kids that you get a double stroller if you can afford. They are so handy.
    "Theres a great big beautiful tommorrow coming your way" - make sure to check out The Carousel of Progress at Magic Kingdom.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BPATSMouse View Post
    I don't know your husband but I consider him a hero of mine for his service to our country

GOD BLESS HIM AND YOUR FAMILY AND MAY HE HAVE A SAFE RETURN.

I second that!

Hope you had a great time.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: