Quantcast Baby carrier or stroller?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Baby carrier or stroller?

Would you recomend a baby carrier or stroller for a 7 month old? What kind of carrier? Rent or bring a stroller? Thanks.
    Many visits as child.
    2005 WL, AK
    2006 POLY, CR
    2007 WL
    2008 POFQ
    2009 CSR
    2010 POFQ

*October 2011 POFQ

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd go with the stroller; its very handy for storing drinks, snacks, etc. underneath.

If you have your own car (or rental), I'd be inclined to bring my own; if I'm using Disney transportation, I'd be inclined to rent.

Post Thanks / Like

Stroller....even a small seven month old will get very heavy walking around the park...also the stroller makes a good place for naps, as well as providing hands free storage.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely bring your own stroller. You will want to have a stroller for getting to/from your room and definitely at DTD. It's a great place for naps and for carrying/storing drinks, snacks, bags, etc.
    April
    Up Next: April 19-26th 40th Birthday
    Past trips:
    Dec./Jan.2001/2002 OP (engaged @ Castle!)
    Oct. 03 YC (6mos pregnant)
    May. 05 BC (DD 1st trip)
    April/May 06 DL (1st trip
    Oct. 07 BWI (DD2 1st trip)
    Oct. 08 WL (Grand Gathering)
    Dec. 09 Timeshare
    2011, 2013 POFQ
    Mar/Apr 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Why not both? When DS was 10 mos, I carried him in the Baby Bjorn most of the time - he was secure on the rides, and I had my hands free to help DD. In many places (ie Land pavillion at Epcot), you have to park the stroller, leaving you to carry your little one - and it is so much easier to do that with the Bjorn.

The rental strollers are not really designed for little little ones, and they are only available in the parks, leaving you without one fairly often.

Your own stroller is convenient for other item as well, so if you can manage both, I would.

Have a great trip!
    Daytrip 2001
    HI FamilySuites (now Nick Hotel) 2003
    POR - 2005
    WL 2006, 2007

Cabins 2008
    Jan. '10 DS turns 5 - quick trip with Mommy at ASMo
    June '10 Grand Gathering at the Cabins
    Fall '11 POP last minute surprise
    Summer 2012 Beach Club and Cars Art of Animation

Post Thanks / Like

we took both when our child was a baby cause we learned the first trip that epcot is a pain with strollers. its hard to get into the pavillions and the land doesnt allow them, and MK it was just one stroller parking to the next. Then you really need a stroller in AK and HS. HS there isnt much for a baby to do and AK everything is so far away from each other.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

I have taken my DD at 2 mo, 14 mo, 26 mo and 38 mo. We also go to alot of away baseball games since she was 8 months old.

1- Definitely bring your own stroller. Waking around DTD, to busses/cars/monorail, and it is more comfy to nap in! Plus it is crazy what they charge to rent a stroller. You can also rent a stroller from a private company in Orlando that delivers the stroller to your hotel.

2- If you can bring a carrier I would. Every away baseball game we went to we had a carrier and DD fell asleep in it. I had DD in a carrier once on the way to baseball game in Chicago. She never naps and finally crashed after a few days of travel, and slept in it for over 2 hours (was about 20 months old). I can't imagine holding her for that long or dealing with a very tired baby and trying to go on rides. Certain attractions you can bring your child in the carrier sleeping.

My friend got the Ergo carrier and loves it, it holds bigger kids than other carriers. Her DD just turned one (100th precentile baby for weight!) and she said it is very comfortable. I had the Baby Bjorn and had to get a 2nd carrier later when DD outgrew it. I wish I had the ergo instead!
    -Michelle

"I DO!" Engaged at MK Railroad Station overlooking Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks 2/24/01.
    Raising a future Disney Freak.
    DD's 1st trip @ 9 weeks old (20 year anniversary of my first trip), been back every year since!

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for both! I also used the Baby Bjorn with my son. He was a very fussy baby and preferred to be held. When we took him on vacation at 4 months old, he loved the carrier (especially on the boardwalk and the beach), but I would also need to put him in the stroller from time to time. Good Luck!
    Danielle

CBR in 1994
    Polynesian in May 2010
    Polynesian in May 2013
    Wilderness Lodge in May 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I would vote for both as well. Stroller for the long walks through the parks, but the carrier for rides and shops. I have always been a bring your own stroller advocate. The Disney strollers seem to be designed more for older kids (no comfy padding or recline) and they are so expensive. Plus, if you bring your own you have it at the resort and at the airport.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for both. For the same reasons Disney Doll stated.

We have the Baby Bjorn and babies really like to look out at the world, so I'd recommend that one. My son liked to be held a lot as a baby, so I'd wear it a lot at home. It was a godsend. I also have a Peanut Shell baby sling, which I also liked using. When we toured a museum when DS was two months old, he zonked out in it for a while, and he's never been that great of a napper.

I'd also recommend bringing your own stroller. I'd recommend a Maclaren. I've got a Triumph model. It's lightweight, and easy to use and carry, expecially on the buses. It even comes with a rain shield. It has a canopy to shade your baby and a basket underneath to hold some stuff. It also reclines somewhat. Maclarens are a bit expensive, but most people (like myself) say that they are worth it. Yes, a stroller system has cupholders and more storange underneath, but they are a lot more cumbersome to carry on the buses and navigate through store and parks.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

I would use both. We used our baby Bjorn and our own stroller and this worked great. On the bus/rides the bjorn kept our baby close and I had extra hands for our toddler. I did use the stoller quite a bit for naps and to give my back a rest. I will warn you that you will also get very hot and swetty from carrying about a little one in the bjorn all day. I was also concerned about overheating the baby in the warm FL weather. Hope you have a great trip!
    Next Visit: Fall 2013

Now approaching the Carousel of Progress

We have 999 happy haunts here, but there's room for a thousand. Any volunteers?? If you should decide to join us, final arrangements, may be made at the end of the tour.

Post Thanks / Like

last two times we vacationed in disney we brought the backpack carrier, as our baby was approaching an older age and it was absolutely wonderful for future world; as the land won't allow for strollers and the constant in and out of pavillions drove us crazy with strollers. He was still able to nap in the backpack and had a place to rest his feet even. I did get kicked a few times and we will prob leave it home now since he is 2 and can do a decent amount of walking on his own (he is a trooper) but would always take it again, had we had another child somewhere down the road.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

So funny you ask this question. We were out with friends this weekend that were going to bring the carrier but changed their mind while carrying their 7 month old for about 10 minutes. I would bring a stroller. Disney's aren't really for babies. And don't forget to use the baby areas (can't remember what they are called, last baby we brought was 5 yrs ago). But the areas are very nice. And if you run out of something in the park, they have everything.

Post Thanks / Like

I would, and have actually done, both. The stroller for the main walking and the carrier for waiting in line. Sometimes the lines could be 30 mins and my arms got really tired holding my baby.
    Cast: ME39, DH36, DD 6, DS1
    Oct 04/Oct 05 - offsite at Westgate Vacation Villas
    May 06 - offsite at Westgate
    Aug/Sept 07 - first time on property - POFQ
    Oct 4 - Oct 13 2008 - Westgate Vacation Villas
    Oct 3 - Oct 10 2009 - off site timeshare
    May 1 - May 8 2010-Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for bringing both the carrier and stroller!!
    Mary Ellen

WDW

Oct1992 OKW
    Sept2007 OKW
    Sept17-23 2008 OKW
    Sept15-22 2009 OKW
    Jan13-17 2010 POP, OKW
    Sept16-25 2010 OKW
    Jan16-19 2011 SSR
    Jan13-19 2013 OKW
    Jan20-26 2014 SSR
    Dec05-16 2014 SSR
    Sept12-18 2015 SSR
    June7-12 2016 OKW
    Upcoming
    Sept8-13 2016 OKW
    Jan2017

Post Thanks / Like

If you HAVE to choose, go with the stroller, but I agree with the majority that both are best.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

I also did both when DS was 3 months old. The stroller was great for the walking, but I used my Baby Bjorn (Active-?) when I new we would be going from ride to ride so I didn't need to take him in and out. It was also nice for when he wanted to be held because you were still hands free. And it stored easily under the stroller. As far as taking the strollers on the buses - yes it is a pain, but I think worth it. They are in the comfort of their own stroller and if it is small and lightweight, it is pretty easy. I ended up taking a double when the last couple of times I went and when it was just my mom, sister and I, the other guests were very nice and helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another mom that took both -- stroller and Baby Bjorn air carrier.....DS#2 was a preemie and he liked to be snuggled so we took the carrier with us. When he was awake we tried to face him out as much as possible, but when he wanted to, we turned him around and he snuggled in. When he would be ready for a nap we just put him back in the stroller and he napped.

The carrier takes up very little room in your luggage/backpack so it's really something handy to take with little trouble!
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for taking both. Carriers are great for places where you have to park your strollers. Having a stroller along saves your back some and gives some relief from the heat depending on what time of the year you are going.

Have a great trip!

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with a stroller. We did bring a carrier last trip when my son was 8 months...we only used it while we waited in lines. It was so easy because he enjoyed getting out of the stroller and being close to mom and dad...we loved it because he would have been too heavy to carry while waiting in line.
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

Share This Thread On Social Media: