Quantcast Going to law school at 38? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brass Bonanza View Post
    I'm humbled by all of these positive responses. Let me ask a few more questions since there are so many of you in the know about this:

1. Where online is a good source that discusses the different types of law...maybe I might see something I would find more interesting than tax law?

2. Is it feasible to go part time? The UConn Law School is five miles from my house, but of course I would have to be accepted.

2a. Is there a program to get a law degree online? Is there a disadvantage to that one I get a degree?

3. Since I am unemployed, how do I find out what grants are available to me? That would be tremendous.

THANK YOU!!!
    CrazyPoohBear gave a great answer to the financing question. I went through College Foundation (and was still paying them when my own DDs went to college ).

I'm not sure whether most lawyers who went through the rigors of in-class law school would look favorably on an on-line degree. For one, I'm not sure how many of the on-line schools are certified and can prepare you for the court room and the bar exam. There's nothing like having to stand up and be grilled by a law prof. to prepare you for the grilling you'd get from a judge.

When I was in law school, NC didn't offer any part-time programs that I know of but I think there are quite a few schools that offer part-time programs now, even in NC (I think the newer law school in Charlotte does that).

You can get a lot of answers here , especially under the 'legal education' tab.
    Former watcher of the original b&w Mouseketeers.

Honeymooned in WDW in '76. Devoted husband and WDW fanatic (in that order :-) ) since then.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents about online education. I work for a major research university in an online program. Online does not necessarily mean less rigorous. In fact many of my students will tell you it's more difficult because we make up for the lack if face time with extra assignments.

Distance education is growing and it is possible to get a good education online. However, there are lots and lots of questionable online degrees so you really have to be savvy. Checking for regional accreditation is a start, but even that only goes so far. The ever popular University of Phoenix is accredited, but it's not exactly held in high regard among members of academe. Honestly online education is still relatively new and I doubt you find many, if any online law programs that are worth your time and effort. Law is not my area so I may be wrong, but be careful when you go looking.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
    Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents about online education. I work for a major research university in an online program. Online does not necessarily mean less rigorous. In fact many of my students will tell you it's more difficult because we make up for the lack if face time with extra assignments.
    My comments were directed toward the question of an online law degree, not online degrees in general. And we certainly agree about thoroughly checking out any online degree program.
    Former watcher of the original b&w Mouseketeers.

Honeymooned in WDW in '76. Devoted husband and WDW fanatic (in that order :-) ) since then.

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem with online law schools is that they are all unaccredited by the American Bar Association so outside of California, no state would allow you to sit for their bar exam.

Post Thanks / Like

I would steer clear of online law schools. I don't think there are any that are ABA accredited. (I could be wrong though). You can go part time at some schools and that takes 4 years. It's still pretty rigorous. You don't have to decide on an "area" of law you want to practice yet. Every 1st year student has to take the same set of classes (there all bar related - contracts, civil procedure, criminal law, legal writing, torts, and property). There will be other courses that are required and still others that you will definitely need to take if you want to pass the bar.
    Last edited by sisterslovindisney; 08-15-2009 at 04:53 PM. Reason: spelling
    Poly Concierge Jan. 2000 - Poly Concierge Jan. 2004 - Pop Century Nov. 2004 (1 night) - CBR Nov. 2004 - Poly Club Level Jan 2010. Wyndham Bonnet Creek December 2013!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: