Quantcast Musical Instruments

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Only about twenty-five miles away from the most magical place on Earth
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Musical Instruments

Hey you guys! I felt like starting a new topic, and I haven't seen any threads about this yet, so I was just wondering, people of Intercot:

What musical instrument do you play?

Currently, I play the flute. I'm the 8th grade right now and I've been playing since the 6th grade. I'm first chair flute in my band, and I'm enjoying every minute of it. Playing the flute is lots of fun. I want to play the clarinet sometime in the future. My mom bought me bells (like, a xylophone type) at a rummage with a percussion practice pad. I'm kind of self teaching myself.

So, what do you play?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep it up and practice hard! It's worth it.

I play all the different saxes, flute, clarinet, mellophone. I'm in the process of teaching myself guitar and a little piano. Played jazz professionally for a while in a big band and had my own quintet. Also marched in high school and college. It's a great experience.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to learn to play piano. Right now I play as a beginner. I play the guitar badly, and am sort of teaching myself dulcimer. I really wish I was musical, but I do enjoy trying.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting question, here goes:

I play the flute too {Junior High - 1st Chair & High School - "guest" Chair - (not enough hours in the day to practice adequately with pre-engineering classes and AP classes in Computer Programming, Science and Mathematics)}.

Taught myself - blues harmonica - summers of the my High School years.

Guitar, Clarinet, song flute, flute - elementary school.

Piano - College.

Now, I can relax by playing the flute, harmonica or piano after a hard day of work.

Lately though, I just continue my Japanese language studies these days, (I'm working diligently on my fluency for an upcomming new major work assignment)!

P.S. - Keep practicing, you never know where it will take you! In my case, it helped me tackle a life-long love of learning and keep my balance in life along the way. That is, with music I could successfully balance my logical side with my creative side.
    Journey into your...Legoź Imagination Center
    If you can dream it...you can build it!

Still journeying & dreaming for over 30 years now to new vacation destinations & WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

I played the drums for 25 years and then took a little break. I have been getting back into playing again the last two years but not as much as I would like to because I just don't have enough time.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you! Keep it up (I wish I had!)

I don't play anything well, but I have played the guitar, alto sax and french horn. I playe the horn the longest, and it was my favourite.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

I played guitar when I was young, but I didn't keep up with it. My husband plays piano.

My daughter is an excellent violinist. She played Carnegie Hall with her orchestra group last year, and it was really thrilling. Now she's 16, in her junior year, and she's looking for the right college that will allow her to explore her options with violin and her interest in languages.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I personally couldn't carry a tune in a suit case, and can barely play the kazoo.

But, as the parent of a very good flute player (1st chair in combined city school band), who quit playing when she started high school, don't stop playing.

The only thing I enjoyed more than listening to my daughter practice was attending her concerts. I have been "urging" her to continue, but it is falling on deaf ears. Please!! If you enjoy playing a musical instrument, your parents enjoy listening even more.
    1986 and 1991 offsite
    1998,2000,2001,2003,2004,2006,2008 movies
    1999, 2002 sports
    2005, 2007, 2009, 2011 pop
    2008 Riverside (Christmas Parade)
    2010 CB (25th anniversary)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dd9

is learning to play the trumpet. You'd have to know a little bit about Allie to really appreciate how proud we are of her. She has bad asthma and an older sister who has been a dancer since she was 3. Big sister gets alot of attention from family members and others. She is thin and blond. Allie has dark hair like her mommy and she is heavier set. She tried dance and gymnastics but didn't like them. Tried soccer and didn't like that either. We don't favor any of the children but you know how other people can be. Allie is very smart. She decided to learn trumpet this year, it is the first year she could do it. She just started in Oct. She learned to read music in a week and despite her asthma and what is probably the hardest horn to play, she is doing so great. She practices all the time and is playing songs. I love to listen to her practice and often sit nearby with my computer and do work. Oh, my dad played trumpet for the Marine Corp Band and DH played in school. My DF would be so proud of her. My husband says she's better than he was when he played in HS. He never read music. Thanks for letting me ramble. Moms, what can you do!!!
    1982 Kissimee
    1984 Kissimee
    1988 Fort Wilderness
    1995 Beach Club
    1998 Boardwalk
    2002 Wyndham Palace
    2003 Boardwalk
    2004 OKW
    2005 Disney Cruise
    2006 POFQ
    2007 OKW
    2009 OKW
    2010 SSR

Counting down to Nov. 24-30, 2012 OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cute thread!

I play alto and tenor saxophone. I also play handbells at my church.

Took piano lessons for awhile, but didn't keep them up. If you don't lose piano, you lose it.
    1992...off site
    1996...Dixie Landings
    1997...off site
    2000...Dixie Landings
    2002...Wilderness Lodge
    2004...POR
    2004...POFQ
    2005...15th anniversary!
    2007...October trip with the DD's!
    2008.. October trip! Woooohoooo!!
    2010...April trip! DD's are marching in the MK!

War Eagle!

Post Thanks / Like

I can, kinda, play about 8 instruments, but most pretty poorly. The only one I'm any good at is the Irish whistle, and even that I'm not great, just OK and I only know 19th century Civil War and Minstral songs and a few old irish diddy's, some are ones that Off Kilter cover. I'm learning guitar and can play a dozen or so songs but I will not consider myself a guitar player until I can play an F chord.

Oh, and I'm the backup washtub bass player in our Civil War Contra Band. BOOM boom BOOM boom BOOM boom. Only need to be able to keep time to play that.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a kid I took acoustic guitar lessons. However I doubt I could play a single cord today. My youngest son has a drum set and we were waiting for his football to end to start him on lessons.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

I played the piano while I was younger, but have not had one since I was 20 and I miss it terribly.

I still can play my trombone and alto sax. I was able to remember how to play a few scales on my friend's trumpet too.

I have tried so hard to learn the guitar and violin, but for some reason, those string instruments evade me!

My DS11 started in violin a couple years ago and was very good from the get go, but he lost interest. I really wish he had stuck with it.
    șoș Lizzy șoș

I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do. --Helen Keller

Former VMK: dizzylizzy

Post Thanks / Like

When I was in 7th grade, I started playing the flute. I played through my sophmore year in high school, but had to quit because our band teacher left and they didn't bring in a new teacher. Our band in high school was very small, I think there may have 10 people and 4 of those played the drums. There were two who played the flute, one clarinet, one trumpet, one that played the sax. Because of that, some of the members actually started teaching me other instruments so I could fill in as needed. I learned the bells, timpani, trumpet, sax, clarinet and trumpet. I had so much fun and was very sad that our band program ended. I had always hope that I could continue and play in college, but my parents couldn't afford private music lessons once my school cancelled band.
    Melissa

Disneyland - too many times to count
    Poly 2007
    3 day Cruise Wonder 2007
    4 day Cruise Wonder 2000-2001 (New Years Cruise) Honeymoon
    Beach Club 2000 Honeymoon
    Poly 98
    3 day Cruise Magic 98
    Tokyo Disneyland 1994

Post Thanks / Like

Bass guitar...30 years now. Still going strong.

Post Thanks / Like

I play clarinet, bass clarinet, and piano, though not nearly as much as I did when I was in school! I wish I had more time to put toward it, but that's life, I guess. I started piano when I was in 4th grade, clarinet in 7th grade, and bass clarinet in 9th grade (it was my favorite by far! ), and was in concert band, symphonic band, jazz band, and pep band in HS, and continued in marching band for my first 2 years of college. I was (and still am at heart) a total band geek, and loved every minute of it! Getting involved in music and band in school was one of the best decisions I ever made.
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

I play nothing at all. But my DH is a very talented drummer. He's been playing for over 30 years. He marched in hs marching band and in college, then played cymbals in drum and bugle corps, then taught corps. He now teaches private drum lessons. Our DS7 has been learning from him and will hopefully follow in his dad's footsteps.

Stick with your music. It can become a wonderful part of your life

Post Thanks / Like

Another flute and piccolo player here... I've been playing for over 30 years now. I still play in community and local bands. I've found my kids have learned an appreciation for music from a very young age from seeing/hearing me play. They have very good "concert" manners, and are familiar with many more songs than other kids their age.

My daughter has now started playing flute as well.

Keep up the good work!

Post Thanks / Like

I play clarinet and piano. I played clarinet 5th grade-12th grade, and have played the piano since I was 5.
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

I started playing the snare drum when I was in 4th grade. Now, 9 years later, I am a senior playing in my high school marching band. I now play top bass drum and I love it. We just ended our marching season with 5 stars in percussion! Now that marching band season is done, I am now currently playing on buckets and wood planks in a school ensomble similar to blue man group.

My marching band is going to be playing in WDW in April this year also, I can't wait for that! The perfect senior trip!

In the future, I would love to learn piano or marimba!
    VMK: DaffyD
    Trips to WDW
    June 2001on my B-Day!Off Prop.
    August 2005 Off Prop.
    August 2006 ASMov.
    August 2008- Pop Century
    August 2009-ASMu
    April 2010-ASMu w/marching band
    Aug. 2011 ASMu
    Aug. 2012 Off Prop.
    Aug 2013 Off prop.
    Next:Aug 2014??