Quantcast No more train, driving help needed!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default No more train, driving help needed!

So change of plans, which is understandable since we aren't going until September of 2011, haha. Instead of taking the train I think we're driving now. Here's the thoughts right now:

We're coming from Nottingham, PA which is about a 16 hour drive. There are 4 drivers, all of whom can EASILY knock out 4 hours of driving at a go. We're thinking of leaving around 3am and banging it all out in one day. Instead of spending the night at a hotel on the way, we'll stay at an All-Stars or Pop that first night and have a non-park day the next day and have Disney transport our luggage to the Fort (where we'll be staying for the remainder of the trip). We'll rent a minivan for the drive down, return it, and rent another for the drive back, which will probably be at a slower pace. The day down is not really out of the ordinary for us when traveling with my dad. We like to stop as little as possible. Our only REAL stop will probably be at South of the Border, and perhaps at the Welcome Center in Florida.

Here are some questions:
    ~ How late are the rental centers on property and around property open? We have no issue walking back from Gaylord or nearby hotels.
    ~ How late can we check into a hotel on property? If we let them know we'll be a late check in, will they hold our room?
    ~ Places for great coffee along 95... We'll be utilizing Wawa for as long as possible and then? Starbucks is ok, but I'd prefer NOT Starbucks, lol.
    ~ As of right now we're traveling down on a Sunday. Where, along that route, would you say we'll hit traffic?
    ~ Does anyone have any of the background music they'd be willing to send me or direct me to for a playlist for the ride down? I'm going to put on some Disney music and podcasts and whatnot.

For right now, I think that's it! Thanks for the help!!!
    Star light, star bright,
    first star I see tonight.
    I wish I may, I wish I might,
    have the wish, I wish tonight.
    We'll make a wish, and do as dreamers do,
    and all our wishes,
    will come true.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I've done the drive down a number of times, usually we would stop but we have done the non-stop one as well.

I can provide some answers, I'm sure there's others who can provide more.

The Car Care Rental Center is open from 6 am to 6 pm Saturday and Sunday, until 8 pm during the week.

You should be able to check in at any time of the night, the Front Desk is open 24 hours per day.

Not sure about Coffee since I don't drink it, your last Wawa is going to around Petersburg, VA unless they've expanded further south.

The best chances for hitting heavy traffic are between Baltimore and Petersburg, Va. Once you get south of there you won't find many heavy traffic situations. Only hold ups would be permanent road construction, which you can find out about via DOT websites in advance.
    Rob Hinkle
    28 Visits to the Magical Vacation Kingdom of Disney World and counting!

Next Trips -
    December 2010 - WDW - Contemporary
    January 2011 - WDW - Beach Club Resort

Post Thanks / Like

My sister has a HUGE collection of Disney soundtracks from rides, etc. I believe she gets it from Mousebits. (google it)

We drive down from Ontario every year but we take the I-75 so I'm not much help as far as driving from PA. We also drive our own van so I'm not much help with the rental stuff.

But I do know that Disney should hold your room for late check-ins. Just tell them when you book your reservation and they'll make a note of it.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Once I got used to the fact that there were no WaWa's nor Rutter's nor Sheetz down here, I decided to settle for what I could find....Today, I can handle McCoffee, or Dunkin Donuts....We even use DD coffee at home......Waffle House or Cracker Barrel coffee is also acceptable....Most convenience stores down this way seem to keep pots on the burners almost all day...Not impressed with Race Trak, Pumpers, or Starvin Marvin...Since you are driving through, you might consider a really large thermos, filled to the brim while still in VA. And pick up some good ground coffee to use in the coffee makers in the rooms...We never use the stuff they place in the room.

As I recall, there are two Nottinghams in PA...One near Trevose, and one below Oxford, near Rising Sun, MD.....Before the Blue Route was completed, I used to skirt Phila by crossing from 95N to US 1 N near Rising Sun, going past Nottingham, and taking 1 to 202....(Miss the Hot Dogs and the railroad...) For the farthest Nottingham, DC is a 3 hour drive...Piece of cake on a Sunday.....You may be able to beat 16 hours, getting you to WDW by 7 or 8 PM....

My experience with rentals is that longer rentals....1 wk plus, with unlimited milage....usually costs no more than two one-way rentals....Check with Enterprise or National (check to see if any of your drivers have discounts with any of the national chains)....Then you would also have a vehicle available while you are at WDW.

Also, since an extra day (past 4 days) on your ticket runs about $2-$3 per ticket, I really don't see a reason to forego the parks on your first day.....
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

DW and I did the drive, leaving NYC on Sunday,8/31.I was the only driver.
    I have several health problems, so I was taking it easy.
    First stop was Doswell,Va to do Kings Dominion,then off to Williamsburg to do Busch.Left Va on Wednesday to head south,overnighting in North Carolina.Then on to Florida.We even got to Orlando area a day early and stayed in a mom & pop motel.
    One thing that did surprise me was that there were very few restroom stops right on 95.
    While on the road we got the chance to try some restaurant chains not avaiable back home ,like Texas Steak House and Golden Corral,which we liked,and Cracker Barrel which we hated.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: