Quantcast outdoor rides in the rain?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default outdoor rides in the rain?

How hard does it have to rain before an outdoor ride (e.g. test track) is shut down? and any thoughts on going to a park on a day where there are "scattered thunderstorms" the forecast?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Shutting down a ride depends on a lot of factors - lightning present, rain intensity, wind intensity among them. So, there's no one specific answer to your question. However, when they do have to shut down it's usually temporary. I've ridden most all the rides in the rain. So, a scattered thunderstorm forecast shouldn't impact your decision.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

in the summer what days don't have "scattered thundershowers" in the forecast......just poncho up and keep riding....most of the rides are indoor anyway...and the ones that aren't....well rain sometimes "thins the herd" on them and can actually make the wait time a little less.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

1) Tough to call.
    2) Of course, any sign/thought of lightning stops almost everything.
    3) As for rain, it is more difficult.
    4) But, seeing a guy in robes building a boat might mean closures.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Test Track may not be the best example to use. It seems to shut down regardless of weather.

We were in DW in December and Test Track was broken within an hour of closing one day so they just shut it down for the night. (30 minutes in line wasted) Then we went a day or two later and it was suffering from some more mechanical problems. We had fast passes and everything! How often does this ride go down? I seem to remember other mechanical difficulties on previous trips too.

Overall I'd have to say the outdoor roller coasters like Thunder Mountain railroad seemed to be affected the most while indoor rides fared just fine.

I have not been to Animal Kingdom in the rain so I can not tell how outdoor rides needing brakes like Everest and Dino land rides do.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say since it opened, Test Track has actually been closed about as much as it has been running...

Seriously though, it is the attraction with the highest rate of down time. But of course it also has more things to fail. With such a high level of technology you expect a higher frequency of downtime. Just the way it works. I think I read that each car on TT actually has 3 computers running it.
    Contemporary 1977
    Disneyland Hotel 1979
    Polynesian 1980
    Trips between '80-'93
    Offsite - 2000 (First with DW)
    Pop Century - April '08
    Wilderness Lodge - Jan '10
    Pop Century -1st WDW Marathon - Jan '11
    Wilderness Lodge -2nd WDW Marathon - Jan '13
    Disneyland - 1/2 and Halloween - Sep & Oct '15

Post Thanks / Like

For the most part, most outdoor rides will continue normal operation unless lightning is in the area. Test Track is the one exception, since essentially it is a real car, it is effected by weather conditions more, just like your personal car, and its not as safe to run in heavy rains
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I left on Saturday and it was pouring with a little thunder and lightning, I thought wow, this would be great on Jungle Cruise! and it made the experience so much more realistic. The rain and lightning/thunder made it feel as you really where in a tropical rain forest in an exotic place. Also the fact that you are staying completely dry while this is all happening is great aswell
    96 - All-Star Music
    99 - All-Star Music
    04 - Off-site
    05 - All-Star Movies/Music/Off-site (AP)
    06 - All-Star Music/Off-site (AP)
    07 - All-Star Movies
    08 - POP Century
    09 - POP Century/Off-site
    10 - Coronado Springs/CBR/All-Star Sports (AP)
    11 - All-Star Music 1/9! (AP)

Post Thanks / Like

I think it REALLY has to be pretty bad to shut down a ride. I once rode BTMR in a downpour!
    Here you leave Today and enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy

Next Trip-February 5th-16th! Happy V-day to me!

Post Thanks / Like

Our clan usually visits in late June/Early July..."Scattered Thunderstorms" are almost always in the forecast....
    MK can be fun in the rain...crowds thin out immediately....but during the summer, they return once the rain stops...Some rides, especially BTMRR, Splash, and Jungle Cruise, are even better in the rain...Others, like the Indy Speedway, have uncovered lines, but it isn't a favorite for our family, so we just avoid it....Just remember that the loading/unloading areas for Splash and JC are outside....
    In EPCOT, TT usually shuts down with very little rain...but when it rains at EPCOT, the crowd thins out, and stays low the rest of the evening.....
    At DHS, Indy and the stunt show shut down from time to time...suspect B&tB does as well...At AK, we've riden (and enjoyed) Kali, and the Safari in the rain...Haven't experienced EE in the rain, but bet it would be fun...
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

One of my best memories is riding Dumbo at DL in the pouring rain on my 33rd birthday. We even kept the umbrella up as we circled around. It was a walk-on (for Dumbo!) at 10 a.m. on a Saturday because of the rain.
    12/99-All-Star Sports * 5/01-POR * 4/02-AKL * 5/03-DL * 5/04-POFQ * 2/05-POR * 5/05-offsite * 10/05-WL * 12/05-DL * 2/06-offsite * 12/06-POP * 4/07-Coronado Springs * 10/07-WL * 4/08-POFQ * 5/10-POFQ * 7/12-DL * 2/14-DL * 6/15-YC

Next Trip ???

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think I could imagine riding Test Track in the rain. I have ridden roller coasters in the rain and it felt like 100 million bee stings to the face and body.

Dean
    Twitter = DVC5571

Apr 04--First trip ever--30th Birthday Present
    Dec 05--Off Site (Honeymoon)
    Oct 07-- On Stie POP
    Feb 09-- Off Site -AK day trip
    Sept 10 -- Onsite -Coronodo Springs

Member of the Tommorowland Metro-Retro Historical Society

Post Thanks / Like

We rode Test Track this past December. We entered the q-line wearing ponchos as there was rain in the air. Once inside it was getting warm and we took our ponchos off. As we got towards the front of the q-line we were watching the cars return inside - everyone seemed dry, so we boarded the ride minus the ponchos. Big mistake!
    As the crash door opened - it was raining. Drowned rats exited the ride. The ride then closed due to adverse weather conditions.
    Soarin' to Tower

Next Trips: 2017 The other half has allowed me back!
    Offsite 1998, 2004, 2015 (Universal)
    AKL 2001, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2013
    Beach Club 2008
    Yacht Club 2010, 2011, 2012
    DLR California 2004, 2014
    DLR Paris 2006, 2008, 2010
    DLR HK 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Hi! Let me just add, that if you can find a nice cozy spot to wait out the rain-you may get the park to yourselves after the rain stops.

2 trips ago, it rained really hard one day, at the time we had DS9, DS2, and DS1. We found a nice covered spot in MK with a table. The big boys got lunch at Columbia Harbour House and brought it around. We waited there, sang songs, talked about what else we were going to ride, ate lunch, watched everyone else leave and just relaxed (everyone was well behaved this day).

When it stopped raining we had the park to ourselves-it was awesome! We stayed until close, rode everything the boys wanted to ride, sometimes twice and had one of the best days we have ever had as a family together.

So, I guess I'm trying to say the rain doesn't always have to be bad thing. And if it isn't too terrible may actually work in your favor as long as it isn't a total washout. Have fun!
    Autism Awareness-Solve the Puzzle
    June 1989-Off Site
    May 2002-Off Site
    October 2006-All Star Movies
    March 2007-All Star Sports
    March 2008-Pop Century
    September 2008-Pop Century
    October 2009-All Star Movies
    February 2010-Dolphin

November 2010-Birthday & Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

I was at WDW this past May and it rained almost every day. The first day when I arrived, it started to thunder and lighting. I was on the Railroad at MK and they made a stop at Frontierland and announced that because of the weather, everyone had to get off.

It started pouring for most of the rest of the evening and I found that in all the rain during my trip, MK was the best park to do in that kind of weather.

I'm sure Dumbo, Aladdin, Jungle Cruise, Tom Sawyer, and Astro Orbiter are closed. Not sure about Thunder and Splash, but would assume those are closed as well.

Yet most of MK is covered and you can always take paths through stores and quickservice restaurants to avoid the rain.

The worst park was Epcot with this kind of weather. Nothing was close enough to each other . Its fine if you were already situated in a pavillion but if you were in transit, you had to make a mad dash and who knew how long you'd be stuck.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow!
    One little spark . . .

Post Thanks / Like

I actually find the rain more of a help then a hindrance. Don't think I've ever been when a rides had to close due to the rain, it just means the queues thin out, and if you're like my family, and used to a colder climate, you'll actually find it really refreshing, especially around midday, when you'd otherwise be contemplating making the trek to the nearest pool to cool off anyway.
    May/June 1998
    May/June 2001
    October 2004
    August/ September 2010
    All Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it depends on how hard it rains but I have never worried because it usually does not rain very long. I have not seen a ride close for more then an hour.
    K. White

The magic is within all of us!

WDW Off Site 1978, 1981, 1986, 2005, 2006
    Disneyland- 1980, 1984, 1987
    WL- 6/2008
    Coronado Springs- 6/2009
    PO- Riverside- 6/2010
    AS Music- Solo, 40th Birthday March 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen them close rides because lightning is nearby and possible on the way. Rain? Towel off when you're done riding
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the other posters, it is lightening, not the rain that seems to cause the problems with the rides.

That being said, other than TT, we've never not been able to ride a ride due to weather. Sometimes we've had to come back in a few hours, but weather doesn't seem to last too long in Florida

Don't let "scattered thunderstorms" impact your plans at all, I think every single day we've ever spent at Disney has had "scattered thunderstorms" in the forecast!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We were there in Sept, rained pretty steady all morning the morning we were going to Epcot - so I thought ahead and brought spare clothes for my dd2 and dd8 - and we all had ponchos. Did a few rides in FW, low crowds (but it was also Sept). Then, the rain ended by around noon and my girls found a little play fountain on the path from FW to WS, and played in it for half an hour! People were taking pictures of them - there was hardly anyone else around. Fun time, plus, after the fountain playing, I was able to use those spare clothes we didn't need in the rain!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: