Quantcast Nervous Photographer

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nervous Photographer

I recently purchased a DSLR so I can teach myself a new hobby :-) I have been VERY excited to test my skills at WDW, where there are so many unique photo opportunities. Now to the question:

I am a little nervous about actually carrying my camera around the parks. I want to be able to ride the rides the same way I would without it. I have a carrying case, and I know that there are places for loose items on each ride... but I am still feeling anxious.

Do any of you have any tips on how to keep my camera safe (without leaving it at home)? I want to protect it from water, jostling etc... and am wondering if there is a way to hold or store them on the rides that will be less likely to result in disaster.

Also, if you have any horror stories about cameras in the parks, I'd love to hear them (yes, I'm a bit of a masochist ).

I really appreciate any help you can offer!!
    Lauryn

7/14 - OKW
    8/13 - BC
    7/12 - WL
    8/11 - BLT
    5/10 - BC
    8/09 - off site
    12/31/08 at Epcot day trip
    3/08 - Pop Century
    8/04 - off site
    5/01 - Boardwalk Year 2000
    5/97 - off site 25h Anniversary of WDW

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

First off, to protect your camera, never, and I mean never, put your camera into the storage areas Disney instructs you to on rides like Star Wars or Dinosaur. We made that unfortunate mistake once upon a time much to the detriment of a camera we owned back then.

I often carry a video camera with me. My husband offers carries a still camera which now happens to be a DSLR camera. Usually, on a rough ride, I will put the camera strap across my chest and tuck the camera into my side - the camera has fared much better this way than in the storage bins offered! My husband recently bought a pouch for his camera that he can wear on his belt. I'm sure that will offer adequate protection for his camera.

I usually carry a plastic zip lock back for wet rides. The camera goes inside with just the strap extending so it can be secured as noted above.

Disney has been quite understanding about this. Cast members generally just make sure we're not trying to secretly film in areas where filming is banned.

I'd suggest taking lots of practice shots before your trip. If your camera offers an instructional dvd, I'd suggest getting it and going through it a couple of times before your trip.

Best of luck!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting this question. I too just bought a DSLR and this May will be my first time using it at WDW. I was wondering about the same issues.

Thanks, Faline, for the great advice!
    Diane

Past trips to WDW:
    12/12 CBR with free dining
    5/10 CBR with free dining
    4/09 CBR couples only trip for 20th anniv.
    9/08 Pop with free dining
    5/07 Pop
    4/05 Pop
    12/04 Pop
    4/04 Pop
    12/02 AS Sports
    4/02 AS Movies
    3/00 Ft. Wilderness Cabins

Post Thanks / Like

I agree about the zip lock bags. I have bought a camera backpack which works wonders in keeping the camera and lenses safe. Much more padding than a regular camera bag and it replaces the normal backpack I carry into the park.

Since you're new to the world of the DSLR I would recommend doing an online class or 2 to really learn how to use it so you can get some spectacular shots. PM me if you want a link to a couple of the free online classes.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with faline. I keep my DSLR camera and digital video camera with me at all times. I have a bag in which both cameras fit. I then put the strap over my head and shoulder, crossing my chest with it. When I sit down on a ride, I keep it over my head and shoulder and place it on my lap.

I have a bad habit of resting my right arm on top of the bag. This tends to make it very heavy on my shoulder. I try to remember, but like I said it is a bad habit now. My aching shoulder usually reminds me.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

Gallon zip lock bags are a must for me when I go anywhere wet with my camera, I always carry a couple extra. On wet rides my camera goes into a ziplock and then into my back pack which is secured between my legs on the rough rides. last year I took my camcorder onto Kali river rapids, put a hole in the ziplock and pulled the lens through, put a rubber band around to seal it, covered the rest of the camcorder with the bag and zipped it shut. Recorded the whole ride, got soaked and the camera stayed dry except for the lens! I ruined my first DSLR while fishing in Alaska, crossing a stream with my camera around my neck and I fell down - not once, but twice . It was tucked into the top of my chest waders, but I went in deeper and my waders filled up. I had my backpack on and zip locks in the bag, I knew better, but was in a hurry!
    Dean

"Scream like a girl" Expedition Everest

Sept. 2005 Caribbean Beach
    Oct... 2005 Animal Kindom Lodge
    Sept. 2006 Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2007 All Star Music
    May 2008 All Star Movies
    April 2009 All Star Music
    Sept. 2010 Port Orleans French Quarter
    Sept 2012 POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for the advice! I am feeling a little less nervous about bringing it in knowing what equipment to buy (I am TOTALLY looking for a camera backpack).

One more question: Does crossing the bag over the chest work on rough rides like Rockin' Roller Coaster and Everest? I think those are the two that I am most terrified to bring it on... but there is NO WAY I would do AK without the camera...
    Lauryn

7/14 - OKW
    8/13 - BC
    7/12 - WL
    8/11 - BLT
    5/10 - BC
    8/09 - off site
    3/08 - Pop Century
    8/04 - off site

Post Thanks / Like

A good bag is KEY if you want to protect your DSLR. The best is one that has the inserts that cushion the lens. I know a lot of people who just carry the camera by the strap, but I would never chance it. The bag I have is relatively small (not much bigger than the camera), but there is also space to carry extra things, like money, room keys, lip balm, etc.

It is a over the shoulder/across the chest strap, and I tend to wrap it around my legs on the crazier rides, but because it has the inserts and protection for the lens, it can be bounced around quite a bit without damage.

Post Thanks / Like

On the coasters I think your best bet is to take the camera/bag off. The shoulder harnesses pretty much make it impossible to keep the camera/bag next to your body, unless it is an extremely small camera.
    Dean

"Scream like a girl" Expedition Everest

Sept. 2005 Caribbean Beach
    Oct... 2005 Animal Kindom Lodge
    Sept. 2006 Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2007 All Star Music
    May 2008 All Star Movies
    April 2009 All Star Music
    Sept. 2010 Port Orleans French Quarter
    Sept 2012 POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

No horror stories. Cameras are generally fairly sturdy - just don't drop it or drown it or bang it around alot. To keep it from getting wet, carry a zip-top baggie large enough for the camera to fit in. I do carry mine (not a DSLR though) in my hand when I think I might be taking a lot of pics but in the bag when I'm not. A good padded bag is a great investment.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I had a count on how many times DH, DS and I have told (warned/pleaded) folks with DSLR (or just plain old digital) cameras to put them away on Splash Mountain before the first water cannon hits. And then we've had to watch grown men & women cry when their cameras are toast. As mentioned above, good shock-absorbing water resistant camera bags as well as large zip-loc bags will do the trick for protection. Be ready for anything - but don't be afraid to use it! However, I would certainly take your camera to other places (zoo, forest preserve, etc) before you get to Disney!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Digital cameras can survive getting wet. If your camera gets wet turn it off and allow it to dry out completly. If you have a DSLR remove the lens to allow the inside to dry out better. Do not keep pushing the shutter button to try and get the camera to work, this can cause a short and destroy the camera or cause an expensive repair.
    Saltwater, on the other hand, will destroy most electronic cameras. If you like to sit in the Splash Zones at SeaWorld beware.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

My recommendation is to get a very good camera strap. I originally used the neck strap that came with the camera. It turned out to be a pain in the neck, literally. I felt the weight of the camera all the time and it did cause strain. With my new camera, I got a shoulder strap and was able to carry it every day with no pain, issue, or fear of dropping. I bought the Black Rapid Strap and could not be happier. Very simple to use, setup, and extremely efficient.

Rides with the camera were no issue. One thing I did find out my last trip is that I was no where near prepared to step out of Auto mode. I got a little better as the week went on, but missed out on a bunch of photos. Another issue is location and direction of shooting. We watched the Jammin Jungle Parade. As it started, the sun moved in line with the top left o the camera. I have flare and glare on all of the pictures. I should have moved up the street about 50 feet to be able to shoot in a different direction.

My recommendation is to learn how to use the camera as much as possible before you go. I did find the limitations of my kit lenses. Taking pictures of fireworks requires a tripod. Crowds play a very large impact on being able to get firework pictures (in the way, tripod too short, tripod gets knocked around). The need for a faster lens is also important. I am going to be looking at F2 or faster lenses. Having a good flash will help dramatically as well. The flash on the camera for the most part is garbage.

Don't get in a foot race with someone to wake up Tink. Your camera could go flying shattering the lens and camera like it did to another guy on my trip last week.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a Cannon camera bag. It will hold my DSLR and my video camera. It is kind of big but it is very sturdy and last May when I was down in Disney for the monsoon, it kept my cameras dry.
    1995 Off Site
    2001 Off Site
    2002 All Star Sports
    2004 CBR
    2008 Wilderness Lodge and Coronado
    2009 Pop
    2011 Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I was in the same boat as you two years ago. After two trips under my belt since then, I finally came up with a good system.

The first time I took a small slingback camera bag but I found it annoying because of it's size (and it WAS small) and it was hard to store on rides.

Then I found an awesome small messenger type bag from ebags that isn't for camera's per say but it worked well for me to carry my camera and one extra lens. That's another thing I discovered...I didn't need to haul all my lenses around with me because when it came down to it, I only used two lenses most of the time. Anyway, the bag not only held the camera but had enough extra pockets and space that I was also able to take my point and shoot, my cell phone, my sunglasses and it had a perfect zipper pouch to hold cards, money, etc. I can PM you if you'd like a link to the bag, as I don't think I can post it on here.

On rides such as Rockin' Rollercoaster, I take the strap and loop it through my leg and wrap it around my leg twice and set the bag on the floor between my feet and hold it softly with my ankles.
    Born and raised in Kissimmee Florida!
    2010--Coronado Springs [April 18-24]
    2008--Coronado Springs [Jan 25-Feb 2]
    2005--Pop Century [May 1-8]
    2003--offsite: Got engaged in Mexico at Epcot!
    2002--offsite
    2001-1981--too many times to remember!

Post Thanks / Like

What do you think is the best lens to use in the parks? I have two now but am considering buying a 3rd with an image stabilizer (my lens with the best zoom does not have one).
    Lauryn

7/14 - OKW
    8/13 - BC
    7/12 - WL
    8/11 - BLT
    5/10 - BC
    8/09 - off site
    3/08 - Pop Century
    8/04 - off site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lettripp View Post
    What do you think is the best lens to use in the parks? I have two now but am considering buying a 3rd with an image stabilizer (my lens with the best zoom does not have one).
    I carry both my normal and telephoto lens. I haven't found I use the wide angle too much. If I had to pick just one, though, it would be the 18mm-55mm lens as that covers most things I need nicely.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

After years of trying, I have finally given up on the DSLR at Disney. It's a pretty big hassle...

Now, if you have some time to set aside for strictly picture taking, then by all means, have at it, and I do at times lug the tripod, camera, bean bag, etc with me... But, if you're trying to get things done in the parks as well as take pictures with a DSLR, I don't recommend it.

The new point and shoots these days are so much better than they used to be... They are more compact, cheaper to replace if they get damaged, stolen, etc... It's not impossible to find someone to take a piture of you with the family, yada yada yada...

Just another opinion... Take it for what it's worth.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a 50mm f/1.8 a couple months ago and I have to say, that pretty much stays on my camera 24/7...I looove it. So I take that with me, and then my 18-55mm for wider shots. The bag I got would allow me to bring 2 extra lenses, but I really don't think it's worth it. If I did, I'd probably bring my 55-250mm but I really don't think I'd use it enough to justify lugging it around. I find the 50mm/18-55mm combo to be a nice range.
    Born and raised in Kissimmee Florida!
    2010--Coronado Springs [April 18-24]
    2008--Coronado Springs [Jan 25-Feb 2]
    2005--Pop Century [May 1-8]
    2003--offsite: Got engaged in Mexico at Epcot!
    2002--offsite
    2001-1981--too many times to remember!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lettripp View Post
    50mm for dark rides, f/1.8 the cheapest, f/1.4 if you can swing it, f/1.2 if you have money to burn.

18-55mm for general use

75-300mm or similar for animal shots and close-up at shows.

Also, I'd go for longer focal length over image stabilization on a new lens.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: