Quantcast Jan. or Feb. trip?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jan. or Feb. trip?

We are planning a trip to D.W. in 2011. Is it better to go in Jan. or Feb. ? We usually go in Nov. when the crowds are not bad at all. We want to go when the crowds are the smallest. So if we go in Jan. , what are the best dates to go for a week. Or is Feb. better, if so what is the best week to go ?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

January is generally a very quiet season in Disney World with some spikes in attendance. The first few days will still be busy as the Christmas/New Year's crowds may not have left yet. Spikes in attendance occur around the marathon and Martin Luther King holidays.

The first two weeks in February are also a good time to go. After that, folks will begin to arrive prior to the Daytona 500 and it will be mobbed for Presidents' week when many schools start their winter/spring breaks. From that point through Easter, you can expect increased crowds with some weeks being more crowded than others.

Weather in January and/or February can be variable and can range from downright cold (mittens needed) to wonderfully pleasant (swim suits not out of the question) to anything in between - and sometimes, you can experience all of this in the span of one vacation trip.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default thank you

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Also if you go in February, Mardi Gras week gets a lot of visitors from New Orleans as they close schools that week. Just something to consider. There is not a HUGE insurgence of them, it will not ruin the trip, but if you were able to choose ANY week, that may be something to factor in.

Weather is unpredictable, like Faline said. In the past I have packed and worn my long underwear, along with my hat and mittens. But that is just me, I don't do cold well. Highs in the 50's are not my thing. But on the same trip you could get beautiful weather.

Also at this time of year, the parks close earlier, with Epcot closing at 9, AK 5 and MK and DHS around 7 or 8. That was surprising to me the first time we started going in Feb. It is not a problem, I have always felt like I was able to do everything I wanted in those hours, just it was just a surprise to me. Of course, EMH gives you more time...

Crowd levels are very reasonable, I am now so spoiled, I don't think I could enjoy myself during the more popular summer or spring break months.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

to Intercot!!!

A couple of things about those times - January generally does have slightly lower crowds, but those crowds have been increasing lately due to the popularity of WDW with South American travel groups, especially from Brazil. It's their summer vacation so you see large numbers of those groups. If you get caught up in one of the groups it seems really crowded, but if you can try to be where they are not then it's not so bad. The other big thing about January is, because the crowds are lower, it is the biggest month for refurbs. This past January while we were there Test Track, Splash Mountain, Crystal Palace, and the Indy Stunt Show were all closed. That can be a little frustrating, but that's just something you have to expect in January. Usually those are finished by the first week or so in February, so I might recommend going then. In early Feb crowds will be about the same, but the refurbs are not as numerous.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

The International Hombuilders Show will be back in Orlando next January as well.

Most are there only for the Show, but some do bring their families and head for the parks. But since WDW is so quiet in January, it won't cause much of a spike in attendance. Just an FYI.
    Poly - 1995
    Poly - Easter 2008
    ASMu - Dec. 2008
    FW Cabins - June 2009
    POP - Nov. 2009

Post Thanks / Like

We went Jan 14-23, 2010. We selected this time because one person in our party works at a university and this was still part of winter break.

Jan 14 was a Thursday after the marathon, before MLK day. So there were spike times all around our stay.

The weather 2 weeks before had some lows in the 20s and highs lucky to be 50s, I think it was more like 30s & 40s. Our weather was in the 70s and 80s with lows in the upper 40s. It was amazing. I don't think another week this past winter had weather in the 70s in Florida. Total luck.

Crowds - The Brazilian tour groups were out in force and there was no way to avoid them. Overall, crowds were MUCH larger than I expected. Goes to show that Disney is a global economy. The tour groups get there at opening, send one person with 100s of tickets to the fastpass kiosks and just consume lots of space. It took me 25 minutes to get a fastpass at Soarin at the opening. No kidding. At shows such as Nemo, they line up early so you need to as well if you want a seat.

Many posters have said that Disney no longer has a slow time. I would agree. You really need to pick a week and hope for the best. Weather - well, we all know we can't predict that! Good luck!
    Feb 1990 - FW
    Oct 2000 - YC
    Sept 2001 - MK
    May 2002 - DL
    Sept 2004 - BW
    Dec 2004 - WL
    Feb 2005 - POFQ
    Oct 2007 - FW CABIN
    Dec 2008 - ASMov
    Oct 2009 - DVC Member!
    Jan 2010 - SSR
    Aug 2011 - BLT, Universal, BCV
    April 2012 - WL Villas
    Feb 2013 - Disneyland!

Post Thanks / Like

We were in WDW Jan. 6-14 and it was cold, cold, cold. We had to scrape ice off the car window a couple of mornings and we never even got a chance to wear our shorts or go swimming and those were both firsts. All they kept talking about on the weather report was the "arctic blast." People were bundled up like eskimos. It was still nicer than Massachusetts, but not by a whole lot. From what I've read, the temperatures really fluctuate from year to year. I will tell you that with all the marathon runners in town, it was impossible to find a parking space at Downtown Disney and all of the off-site restaurants were absolutely packed. It ended up being only a so-so trip for us. The low crowds at the park were a highlight, though.
    If we go again in January, it will be later in the month.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: