Quantcast Captain EO returns - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubbyofadisneyholic View Post
    you won't find us in line for it. I'll just leave it at that...
    ditto
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, not the reaction I thought I would see in the discussion for this topic. He's certainly a strange one but he's still one of the best entertainers of all time.

I loved this attraction as a kid. I hope like crazy it's still open the 2nd week of November.
    "Hey! That's some destination!"

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Here's the Press Release:

'Captain EO' Returns to Walt Disney World Resort

Walt Disney World Press Release
    April 28, 2010

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – “Captain EO,” the classic musical spectacular that thrilled Epcot guests from 1986-1994, is returning to Epcot July 2, 2010, Walt Disney World Resort announced today. The attraction’s return provides new audiences the opportunity to experience the original 3-D production for the very first time, as well as a nostalgic look back for longtime fans wanting to see Jackson in a rare performance created for the big screen.

Twenty-four years ago, Michael Jackson joined forces with Disney, producer George Lucas and director Francis Ford Coppola to create a groundbreaking 17-minute 3-D film experience starring Jackson as Captain EO performing two original songs, and featuring Academy Award®-winning actress Anjelica Huston, and a cast of merry, mythical space characters with dual personalities who undergo magical transformations to become Jackson's electronic band in conquering the forces of darkness.

The colorful Disney-created characters include: Hooter, the little green elephant-like creature who sneezes wild musical notes through his flute-like trunk; Fuzzball, the orange-haired space monkey with butterfly wings; the Geex, a golden-haired, two-faced personality with two left feet, one right foot and two shaggy heads named Idy and Ody; Major Domo, whose mirrored silver costume becomes a complete set of drums; and Minor Domo with his sparkling purple torso that turns into an electronic synthesizer played by Hooter.

For all its technology, “Captain EO” is first and foremost a musical spectacular and a thrilling space-fantasy adventure. The realism of the 3-D process will once again make it seem that Jackson dances right out of the screen into the theater. While it’s not possible to replicate some of the special effects elements originally in the theater, it will boast a new 70mm print of the film and sound better than ever thanks to acoustical enhancements made to the theater since the film last played there. The total effect is one of motion, color and high energy filled with Jackson’s musical brilliance and various illusions to create an exciting and realistic journey in space for the audience.

During the journey, Captain EO and his merry crew discover a colorless planet where they are confronted by the Supreme Leader (Huston) and her forces of darkness. Using the power of music, dance and light to fill the planet and the theater with all the shades of the rainbow, the EO crew turns the black and white land into a magical world of color and happiness.

The production of “Captain EO” called on Hollywood’s finest choreographers, set designers, costume creators and special effects artists – all of them excited by the challenge of shooting this kind of imaginative film in three dimensions.

“Captain EO” will be presented multiple times daily at the Imagination pavilion at Epcot. It will replace “Honey, I Shrunk the Audience” which is planned to return at an undetermined date
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

This is classic, we have two things that people love to hate:

Change at Disney World

Michael Jackson

I look forward to seeing it. Honey I Shrunk the Audience is one of those attractions that ran it's course for my family. It was fun the first couple of times, now it doesn't even make our "nice place to cool down" list.

There is no doubt, in my mind, that this is a money move, which is good.
    Last edited by John; 04-28-2010 at 11:17 PM.
    JR
    '86 Ramada Inn somewhere in Orlando :P
    '95 All Star Sports
    '00 All Star Music
    '03 Fort Wilderness
    '06 Fort Wilderness
    '07 Animal Kingdom Lodge

'09 Fort Wilderness
    '12 All Star Movies
    '13 Pop Century
    '14 Fort Wilderness
    '15 Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

Not a fan and don't think this is a good fit for Disney anymore. I'll leave it at that.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Not a fan and don't think this is a good fit for Disney anymore. I'll leave it at that.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default 3d

I would hope they update the effects. I remember the 3D being very poor and, taking off my glasses because it gave me a headache. It was no PHILHARMAGiC !!

Post Thanks / Like

Another ridiculous decision. Why don't they ever bring back good attractions?
    1995 - Grand Floridian (Honeymoon)
    1997 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1998 - All-Star Music
    2005 - All-Star Music & Movies
    2006 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    What he said.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip View Post
    Another ridiculous decision. Why don't they ever bring back good attractions?
    Because this costs them zero. They pull out a film reel and presto= new/nostalgic attraction.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    Athough not a fan of the choices Michael Jackson made in life, I did enjoy this presentation and will likely see it again!
    I know he became very controversial, but I was a huge fan of MJ in the 1980's and would like to see this. They had just changed over the first time we went to WDW. I like Honey I Shrunk, but tired of it several trips ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh!! Hated it then would hate it even more now! As much as HISTA needed to be changed, I would rather suffer through that 1000 times than see EO again once!
    10/85 Off Site
    2/88 Disney Vil
    10/90 Disney Vil
    10/93 CB & GF
    5/94 WL
    12/95 Cont
    10/98 WL & CS
    12/00 DixLand & Poly
    12/04 Cabins & YC
    10/05 POFQ
    5/07 Cont & BCV
    10/07 Pop
    12/08 POR!
    5/09 Poly!
    5/10 WL
    10/10 POFQ
    5/11 CS
    10/11 PORS & BW
    5/12 Pop
    6/12 gave in & just moved

Post Thanks / Like

I'm disappointed that they're replacing Honey, I Shrunk the Audience with Captain EO. I really like Honey, I Shrunk the Audience. I was never a big fan of Michael Jackson and I'm tired of all the attention his name has been getting since he died. I don't know that I'll see Captain EO when we go, if it's playing. Maybe if the rest of the family wants to, but I'd much rather see Honey, I Shrunk the Audience.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully, this will pave the way for whatever is going to replace HISTA. As many have said before, HISTA is not BAD, just very dated.

Although I am not really psyched to see Captain Eo, I will definitely go see it during our September trip (if it is still playing) just because I have never seen it before.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I saw this posted on The Hub the other day. I don't recall seeing this, as there was a time in the 1980's where I wasn't going to WDW. I'll try to catch it sometime this summer; if not when i go to DLP for halloween.

For all the strangeness that occurred in MJ's personal life, he really was a great entertainer, especially in the '70s & '80s.
    1974-1983 WDW day trips*92 WDW *94 Contemporary*97 WDW*97 Poly*98 DL PAC*99 DL DLH*2000 POFQ & CR*01 WDW*02 DLR DLH*02 WDW*03 POR*03 WDW 06 DVC Member*06 DLR*07 VBR*07 OKW*07 VWL*08 GCH*09 BLT*09 AKV*10 OKW*10 DLP-DH*11 BLT*11 AKL*12 BWV*14 Aulani*15 VGC*17 VGC*SDL TSH*17 TDR DAH*18 BC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Jetson View Post
    My 6yr old son is beside himself that he might get to see this! To him Micheal is the greatest entertainer in the world. Does anyone know how long this will last? We will be there mid-Oct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn J Mc View Post
    My 9 YO niece is a big MJ fan. She will definitely have us waiting in line for it. I never saw it the first time around so I have no idea what to expect.
    I think that a lot of people don't know that Michael Jackson has a whole new generation of fans -- little kids. I know many people with young children who are HUGE Michael Jackson fans, and most were fans before he died. I don't know how this happened, but it's definitely a phenomenon.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't get to EPCOT for the first time until much after the Captain EO production was long gone. However, thanks to advertising, school promos and T.V. as a child of the 80's Captain E.O was pretty much equated with EPCOT in my mind. I have seen a very blurry version of EO on you tube about 2 years ago. I think it fits with the genre of movies back then. My guess is that in the days when it was new it felt like other Disney-esque flicks that I was wild about at the time like "Flight of the Navigator" or "Max and Me" with a little "The Wiz" or "Tron" thrown in to boot. A movie directed by Francis Ford Coppola (God Father right?!? - not that I was allowed to see this film as a kid of course) & produced by George Lucas (Star Wars was real big then remember, LOL).

Anywho, Michael Jackson was a pretty big deal then too in the opinion of the "Pepsi Generation" and there was no pre-knowledge of the choices he would eventually make in life.

Given all this back history, I'd sit through a viewing of Captain EO if just for the fact that it is in a Disney Park and it reminds me of my 80's childhood (even though I never experienced it personally as a child).

BTW - I've never been a MJ fan, but I have quite a few friends who were fans of him back when that was "cool" and they are excited to have the chance to view the film as it was originally intended or to see something that they saw years ago as a child. Besides I betcha Imagineering is working on something "better" when this phase has had it's run.
    Journey into your...Lego® Imagination Center
    If you can dream it...you can build it!

Still journeying & dreaming for over 30 years now to new vacation destinations & WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveLegos View Post
    Besides I betcha Imagineering is working on something "better" when this phase has had it's run.
    I'll take that bet!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, lots of different angles to this one. And everyone is making very valid points, pro and con.

I saw Captain EO back in the 80's. I don't remember much of the film, but i do remember being thrilled. The only thing i enjoyed more that trip was Spaceship Earth. So with "Honey.." becoming the "Sounds Dangerous" of Epcot, coupled with MJ's untimely death, bringing EO back does make some sense.

However, the legacy MJ left behind cannot be overstated or ignored. Once The King of Pop, he devolved into God knows what. Describing him as wierd or strange just doesn't do justice to the unreal person he became. Why Disney would want to renew their association with him is a real concern. Sure they have this great old 3-D film, but with all the controversy MJ caused later in life, wouldn't it be better just left in mothballs?

So all in all, fans will rejoice, and detractors will grumble. And hopefully Imagineering will come up with a new 3-D experience everyone will love.......and soon.

Post Thanks / Like

haha, am I the only one here who actually kinda likes Honey I Shrunk the Audience?? I think it's cute, and since I only get to Disney once every few years, I haven't gotten tired of it yet. (Though I definitely agree with you all who said that it is dated!)

I am not at all into the Captian EO film and will definitely not be watching it if it's still running when I'm there in Dec.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: