Quantcast I need some pre-engagement advice

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default I need some pre-engagement advice

In about 3 weeks time, I will be taking a trip up to North Carolina with my girlfriend and while up there I plan on proposing to her... I want to be a gentleman and ask her parents for their blessing on the proposal before we leave, but not quite sure how to approach it? We both live in Alabama, but somewhat far apart (I live in Tuscaloosa and she is in Montgomery, about a 2 hour drive), and I don't want to talk to them about it over the phone, I'd rather do it in person. I'm very excited and nervous about talking to them and want to approach it in an adult matter.

So, any advice on how to talk to my girlfriends parents about asking their only daughter for her hand in marriage?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I would think that the proper thing to do would be to make the drive down to see them in person.

Thanks
    Scott C
    Aug 73 - Jun 74 Off Site
    Jun 75 - Jul 84 Dutch Inn
    Oct 78 - Nov 88 Poly - Honeymoon(88)
    May 97 - May 99 - Jul 00 - Jun 05 - Sep 11
    Sep 16 - Sep18
    Dixie Landings
    Feb 02 CBR
    Feb 03 WL
    Jun 07 POP by MJ
    July 09 POFQ through Magical Journeys
    Sep 10 OKW MNSSHP by MJ
    Sep 13 Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyWhirled222 View Post
    So, any advice on how to talk to my girlfriends parents about asking their only daughter for her hand in marriage?
    You are truly a gentleman!!! Good luck! When you decide what to do can you please call my daughter's boyfriend and tell him what to do? After 4 1/2 years I think it's time.
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

If you can't drive down, maybe ask to meet them halfway (or at least 1.5 hours away???) at a restaurant to ask. You can choose the restaruant and just happen to be a little closer your way?

But, maybe if you can't get down there and the future in-laws are computer savvy, how about webcamming it? I can totally see this happening more and more. A friend of my in NYC had this happen. But, her parents are in Turkey!
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm too modern. I think the sentiment to ask her parents is sweet and will probably make a good impression, but it is really outdated. Does she need her parents permission? Do you? You want their blessing, I am sure. So why not ask her first and then talk to her parents and yours together? If she's really old-fashioned, speak to her parents first. But if she's not, she might wish you had asked her first. I know I would. It's not about them. Just something to think about.

You know her well enough to know what she would prefer. If this is something she would wish for, then absolutely find a way to make the trip before the proposal. And best wishes!
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

My husband drove from Austin to Dallas and back to talk to my parents on a Wednesday night, before he asked me to marry him. It may be somewhat of a hardship, but what a wonderful way to honor them and your future bride. Your efforts will not go un-noticed.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Default that's wonderful!

I think asking for permission is a wonderful time honored tradition that should be continued.
    Does the girl know you are going to propose?
    If she does not, you could ask the parents to meet you half way at a restaurant, tell them you do not want their daughter to know.
    My husband proposed to me on my birthday, after we were dating for 7 years! After he gave me the ring we still drove to my parents house (only about 5 minutes away). My father had already gone to bed but my husband went into the bedroom and asked my father permission.
    I'll never forget my husband coming out of the room and saying "your dad said, yes, he also said that I should remember that even though he's old and sick he still knows how to shoot a gun if I ever hurt you!"
    We have been married for almost 23 years, dad died almost 21 years ago but I still have that wonderful memory!
    I say ask for her hand in marriage, it may be old fashioned but so is marriage itself!
    Some traditions need to be kept alive.
    Congratulations
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with keeping the tradition of asking the parents first! I am first generation in the United States and "back home" it would constitute torture if I was seeing someone that DIDN'T respect my family enough to ask my parents first.

My husband and I talk about this all the time that when the time comes for our DD's, we would expect that "the guy" would ask for our permission. We will raise our girls with the rule that "we date to mate". Not "collect, collect - then select". But, we are pretty conservative in our parenting anyways....

I say do what feels right. I don't think you would propose to someone not knowing (at least 98%) that she will welcome the proposal with nothing but love and a big ol' YES!!!!! (I say this because I'm ... well a woman... and never had to worry about proposing to someone)

Here's some proposal pixie dust
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

I agree...it's the right thing to do, and I think your future inlaws will respect you more for it.

I like the idea of meeting them half way and meeting them at a restaurant.

This is such an exciting time. Congratulations!

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

You're not really asking for permission, it's more the courtesy of letting your prospective in-laws know ahead of time - after all, there will be fall-out of one kind or another for them to deal with . . . And, like it or not, you marry the lady, but you acquire her whole family.

You sound like like exactly the sort of man I would like my daughters to marry. Blessings.
    Kate

First visit: 1974 (off property)
    In between: 6 visits (off property), then:
    POR 2002
    CS - 2003
    AKL - 2005
    POR March 2006
    POR August 2006
    Upcoming: August 2010

Post Thanks / Like

I think you've received great advice.

My husband spoke with my parents before he officially asked me. Even though we all knew the proposal was coming (because we had been talking marriage), it was still an honorable and respectable way to include my family.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

My husband drove a 3 hour round trip just to ask my father for my hand. It was so sweet. He then proposed 2 days later. We will be married 10 years in Nov. and have 3 wonderful children. I really think you should do it. Good luck. Here's to love and Happiness!!
    Off-Site 1989
    Carribean Beach 2001
    Port Orleans 2004
    POP Nov 2007
    House Rental for 7 nights/Port Orleans for 5 nights Aug 2010

Post Thanks / Like

I think whatever you decide to do will be great! Good Luck
    Jun '00 Jul '03 - All-Star Music
    Aug '05 - POP
    May '07 - All-Star Sports
    Aug '08 - Poly (Honeymoon)
    Mar '09 - POP
    Sept '10 - POP (Our DD 1st Trip!!)
    Oct ' 11-Nov '11 - POP
    Nov '13 -Off Property Bonnet Creek
    Jun '14 -POP (Our DS 1st Trip!!)
    Jun '15 -POP
    Aug '15 -Disneyland (1st Trip)

Post Thanks / Like

Seeing them was not practical in my situation, so I wrote a letter (hand written on special stationary). It went over very well, and they saved the note and made a big-deal of it at the wedding and the engagement parties.

Besides, writing a letter is the REALLY old-fashioned way of doing it. Back before planes and cars, a suitor's absence for two weeks while he was speaking with a woman's parent (in the next county over) would have been noticed.
    80s: Poly X 2, LBR X 3;
    CBR 3/00
    YC 10/02, 9/06
    Dolphin 10/04
    DL - Grand Californian 3/06
    Disneyland Paris 9/07
    Swan 9/08, 6/10
    BLT @ the CR, 9/09, 12/10 - Daddy-Daughter Trip

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, and 3/11

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: