Quantcast how do you divide up the costs

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default how do you divide up the costs

Hello everyone!
    I am new here, I've been a lurker for a long time and finally decided to join you all.
    I have a question about planning a trip.
    I am single and traveling with a single friend and her daughter and the daughters friend.
    We are sharing a room and the kids, aged 15 will be sleeping on sleeping bags in the room.
    My question is should I pay for half of the room or should I say we could split the room 4 ways as there will be 4 of us in the room?
    Neither one of us has money to spare but I think that because she is bringing 2 other people we should split 4 ways?
    This is our 2nd time to disney and last time we shared the cost 50/50. Any suggestions?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Total cost / number of people

Then the head of each household adds up the number of people they are responsible for and multiply that by the amount above.

At 15, they are real people and will take up the room of a real full sized person. There will be lines for the bathroom, they will have clutter, etc. 50/50 doesn't quite cut it with teenagers.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say you should definitely only pay your share of the food and tickets and transportation. But you aren't giving up any part of your bed. And the room probably costs the same whether it's two or four people. If they were adults, or if it was a surprise she sprang on you, I'd say they should pay their own way. But this is apparently something that has been planned.

Post Thanks / Like

What if the room was divided 3 ways and the friend that is coming is responsible for her share? Just a thought.
    Live Life Joyfully!
    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="2"]'73 - DL;
    '78, '89 - DW -off property;
    '94, 00, '07 - Dixie Landing; '96 - CBR; '98 - CSR;
    '99 - Disney Cruise;
    '01 - WL Christmas Celebration; '03, '06, '12, '13
    '10 POFQ; '11 POP (2x)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerald72 View Post
    I would say you should definitely only pay your share of the food and tickets and transportation. But you aren't giving up any part of your bed. And the room probably costs the same whether it's two or four people. If they were adults, or if it was a surprise she sprang on you, I'd say they should pay their own way. But this is apparently something that has been planned.
    I agree.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, this is a bit of a tricky one.

It sounds to me, since it was 50/50 on the last trip, that everyone assumes that it is going to be 50/50 again this trip.

For the room, although I can see the points all ways, it is probably just easiest to do the 50/50 thing, especially since you're getting a bed, and the kids are just taking up floor space.

However, when it comes to meals, tickets, etc you should only pay your share! Either buy your own, or pay 1/4 of those, since otherwise you'd be paying for one of the kids, and that isn't your responsibilty.

BTW, to INTERCOT! I'm glad you stopped lurking and joined us
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

As Heather suggests, I would be gracious and go with 50/50 among the adults for the room, but just paying your share of tickets/dining/extras.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I most definitely agree with Heather. You would be getting a bed, just the same if the girls weren't going to be there. Paying 50% of the room is only right. You would pay for your own food, tickets, and transportation. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

When I travel with adults (other than my hubby) and we have kids traveling with us we always split the room based on the number of adults.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I also agree. Pay for only your food, ticket, transportation, and incidental costs. However, the room costs the same for 2 adults without children as it does for 2 adults with 2 children ages 17 and under. It's not until they reach the age of 18 that an extra charge applies. I would split the room costs 50/50.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

I can tell you that the bathroom line part would not be a big issue, we are all girls who just shampoo and go, no makeup, just shower, lather up the lotion, pony tails and out the door we go. Too hot to do a makeup session and it just sweats right off your face anyway.
    we have all pre purchased our park tickets so that part also would not be an issue.
    Food is always divided up with pay for what you eat.
    the only real debate for me was splitting the cost of the actual room itself.
    From most of the responses I have read here, I should just split the room 50/50 with the other adult.
    I was just thinking that maybe it should be a 4 way split because the girls are as big as we are. but that might cause me to lose my bed from what some of you are replying.
    Is this the general consensus?

Post Thanks / Like

Since its already been decided the girls are sleeping on the floor I'd say the room should be 50/50
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

In the past when I have shared a room with my sister and my kids we split the room 50/50. My sister and I slept in the beds and the kids on the floor.
    A couple of years ago I shared a room with myself, my 2 boys and a friend of theirs, all teens. Because the other boy's mother paid 1/4 of the room the 3 boys took turns sleeping in the bed and the other 2 slept on air beds, (much more comfy than sleeping bags!)
    I feel that if you are paying for the room itself you are entitled to sleep in the bed for at least part of the time.
    Why would you pay the same price to sleep on the floor as someone who is in the bed the whole trip???
    Everything else is every man for themselves as far as food, drink park tickets etc.
    PS, It must be great to have a room full of girls who are not hair/makeup crazy!
    Good luck in your decision
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Except how do you split this when there are park tix involved AND the "free" dining as part of the package? Then I don't feel that I would be responsible for 50% since I'd be paying for someone else's park ticket and the dining plan. Even though it's "free" it's really not, it's built into the cost of the room.

And depending on the cost of the package, it might almost be easier to get a second room for yourself. If I did that on our next trip, it would only cost me about $400 more. It would be a stretch but may be easier depending on your circumstances.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you discuss this out in the open BEFORE the next trip gets off the ground. Expectations (spoken and un-spoken) are something we bring into any situations. It's best to make sure all are on the same page so feelings don't get hurt down the road.

Best of luck navigating a situations that you clearly feeling conflicted about...otherwise, you wouldn't have posed the question here on the board.

Post Thanks / Like

If your question is for the room price only then you should pay 50% because kids are free in the room. For tickets and everything else it should be per person.
    Upcoming Trip - 9/2012
    9/18/10-9/25/10 POP (kids stay & play free)
    9/17/08-9/24/08 POP (free dining)
    9/2000 CBR
    9/1998 Offsite
    9/1996 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by captigger View Post
    I can tell you that the bathroom line part would not be a big issue, we are all girls who just shampoo and go, no makeup, just shower, lather up the lotion, pony tails and out the door we go. Too hot to do a makeup session and it just sweats right off your face anyway.
    we have all pre purchased our park tickets so that part also would not be an issue.
    Food is always divided up with pay for what you eat.
    the only real debate for me was splitting the cost of the actual room itself.
    From most of the responses I have read here, I should just split the room 50/50 with the other adult.
    I was just thinking that maybe it should be a 4 way split because the girls are as big as we are. but that might cause me to lose my bed from what some of you are replying.
    Is this the general consensus?
    Since it doesn't sound like cost for room was originally discussed, I would plan on 50/50. Not only could you loose your bed but you could also perhaps have your friend get a little upset. Sometimes these issues can hurt friendships.

However, if my daughter were the 3rd wheel, as a parent I would feel like I should offer some cash for the room. So maybe the parent of the girl might make and offer to help with the bill (right!) But I would still just plan on 50/50.

Since my DD and I are always out about in hotels with the swim team, we often share hotel rooms. Sometimes it is one kid sleeping on our floor for the night. Sometimes it is a mother daughter. I share the bed with my daughter. Usually when the kid is crashing on the floor, they don't pay for the room but they might give me some gas $ if I drove them. Usually if is it the mother/daughter splitting the room with us even if there is an extra kid on the floor we still split 50/50.
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

Post Thanks / Like

If you are comfortable mentioning a different split on the room, I don't think it's wrong to bring it up. Granted the cost of the room is the same with girls but you are sacrificing some comfort and privacy by having them there. Maybe suggest splitting the cost into thirds - you pay 1/3 and she pays 2/3 to make up for getting your own bed.

I know if I were the friend I would offer to pay more since her travel party is larger and regardless of who pays how much, I would never put an adult on the floor over kids.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are friends,right?Just pay 50/50 on the room and be glad that her daughter has a friend with her so that you and your friend can spend some adult time while they do their thing.Plus having a bed to sleep in alone everynight is worth it's weight in gold.Have a great trip!
    Poly10/75
    FWCabins3/93Poly11/01
    CBR4/05PORand BC2/06Pop11/06
    MarriottGrandeVista5/07
    CBR9/07
    Pop1/08
    POFQ5/08
    CS 9/08
    POFQ 5/09
    CBR9/09
    HRH11/09
    POFQ/POLY5/10
    WL12/10
    Allstar Music1/11
    POFQ 5/11
    OKW 3/31/12
    SSR 9/13
    CBR 9/14
    POR9/16
    CB Univ

Avatar in remembrance of my Dear Old Dad "Big Al"

Post Thanks / Like

Children under 18 are free in the rooms so that should be split 50/50 - as far as everything else goes - whatever the bill divide by 4 - you pay one share your friend pays the rest, that makes it easy at dinner not asking for separate checks, etc. Also, add the tip in before you divide

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: