Quantcast Off Site

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Default Off Site

It seems that so many people stay on the property and I was wondering how many stay off site. We will be staying with friends at a condo abou a mile from Disney and Universal. Anyone staying off site to save money? And if you do do you still enjoy the magic as much.
    Ohana means family, and family means no one gets left behind...or forgotten. --Lilo

Past Trips:
    June 2001 - Off Property
    April 2009 - POR
    Next trip:
    Dec 5- Dec 12 OFFSITE

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We've stayed off site a couple of times. We did not enjoy it as much as staying on site.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed off-site for our first trip, and although we had a good trip, we've found that we prefer the on-site experience.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Our last trip we stayed off site and we enjoyed the rental house. We were extremely close and we had a pool so the kids used it any time. It was nice being able to run 2 the Super Target down the road for food and to go off site places 2 eat.
    Me and Goofy r Goofie for each other !!!!!
    first visit 1978,1981,84,88,96,97,99,2000,02(honeymoon),04,09, looking 4 the next trip in 13! o the pain of the wait!!

Post Thanks / Like

We stay off-site for a few reasons.

1. The cost - When you have taken in to account the cost of our flights from the UK, two weeks accommodation on site is not possible on our budget.

2. We are a family of five, so accommodation choices are a little limited.

We usually stay close to the parks and it doesn't take us long at all to drive in. My family, although I am sure they would like to stay on site just once, always have a wonderful time. For us though, we also like visiting local restaurants and seeing the surrounding area.

Angie

Post Thanks / Like

We always stayed off site when I was little. Now my parents own DVC, and they usually let us stay with them or borrow points. If it weren't for the free place to stay, we would stay off site a lot more!

Kristin
    Momma to two sweet boys: Myers and Jacob
    36 trips and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoy the perks staying on-site offers:

I like using Mickey's Magical Express to take us to our resort and handle/deliver our baggage to our resort room while we're in the parks on that first day.

I love being able to access the parks during Extra Magic Hours (not so much the early ones...we like to sleep in and we don't have kids) in the evening.

My friends and I love being able to go out and get a little silly, perhaps have a few glasses of wine at dinner in EPCOT or Jellyrolls after the park closes...and the bus takes you everywhere you need to go...including home...all transportation inside WDW is included. I love that. It also adds to my enjoyment for another reason...I do not have to be responsible. Someone else is driving for us. We can use the transportation time to rest, relax, talk...like real people and not worry about how to get there or parking.

And the best reason for anyone with children...adults, as well: It is easy to slip out of the parks in the heat of the afternoon and go back to the resort for a dip in the pool, or even better, AFTERNOON NAPS! This is the best part of staying on-site. Structure and naps is very important. If the kids (or myself!) get overly tired, they will become grumpy. It won't matter that you took them to Disney World if everyone is upset at the end of a very long day. A vacation is supposed to bring a family together.

Post Thanks / Like

Reading your post it looks like you don't really have a choice and must stay off site. You'll be fine. Focus on the ADVANTAGES of staying off site (cheaper food and shopping, not standing on a crowded bus, NOT surrounded by Disney 24/7, etc.) Make sure you go to the parks that DO NOT have extra magic hours and just plan to have a grand time - because you will. An off-site trip is different than an on-site trip, and whether that difference is a positive or a negative will depend largely on your attitude toward it.

Goofy Texan

August 2010 AS-Movies • June 2008 Pop Century • June 2006 AS-Movies
    May 2002 POR • May 2000 AS-Music • May 1998 AS Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Texan View Post
    Focus on the ADVANTAGES of staying off site (...., NOT surrounded by Disney 24/7, etc.)
    To me, this would be a distinct DIS-advantage in staying off-site!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I find on site cheaper, maybe because I don't go to the right hotels. POP fits us and costs less than the nearby SUPER 8. Yes they have toast and donuts for breakfast there, but I want more.
    I know that for 5 or more I would have to go off.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll preface my response with this: we are from a very small town and are not used to massive parking lots or paying for parking.

ok, we stayed off-site once, 2 years ago. we rented a lovely 4 room house in a gated community, literally 5-7 minutes from disney world. the house was amazing, had everything, pool, very close to many chain and upscale restaurants, shops, etc.

however, we found that paying for parking, and getting a tram from the parking lot to the park was just a hassle that did nothing more than waste time, in our opinion. MK was the worst; park, tram, monorail/boat just to get to the gate was a lot for us. after a few days it seemed to take the magic away.

with that said, we are not used to this and if we had experience with large shopping malls and amusement parks perhaps this would not have bothered us as much as it did, but I would never stay off site and still go to disney everyday. maybe for a trip to orlando where disney only takes a day or 2 but I dont see that in our immediate future. I just love letting disney drive us right to the gates with out the hassle. hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

I would always choose to stay on site. I love being surrounded by Disney 24/7. However, I have stayed off site twice in the last 5 trips. Once was absolutely because of cost. We found a wonderful hotel for $50 a night. On that trip though, I did feel that I had lost some of the Disney magic when I would leave each night.

This year, we are staying off site again because my entire family is going. Mom, Dad, DB and DSIL w/3 kids, DS and her DH, my DH and me. The last time we did this, we rented a house through All Star Vacation Homes (found by the Intercot sponsor link). We LOVED it!! Each couple had their own master suite, and the kids had their own space too. Plus the added bonus of a private pool, bbq grill, in-house "movie theater", etc. It was about 5-6 minutes from Disney gates. The first time was 3 years ago, and each couple paid $700 for the week. We would have paid more at a value resort. This way, we all had more space. While we were sharing the house and didn't have to worry about meeting anywhere, we also had enough space where we didn't feel like we were on top of each other either. There was also a pool table and video game system in another room. I didn't feel like I lost a lot of the Disney magic at the end of the day because we weren't pulling into another parking lot and walking through a non-Disney lobby during which the let-down would happen. We parked in our own driveway, walked straight through the hall and living room and into the pool area.

We chose to do the same this year because we're going Thanksgiving week. We'll cook our own Thanksgiving dinner (cause it isn't the same at a restaurant), and then go somewhere in the parks or DTD for dessert.

I absolutely cannot recommend All Star Vacation Homes enough. You can get them in all sizes, up to 7 bedrooms. We stayed in the Arcadia section. If I cannot stay on site, this is my next best option.

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

We haven't stayed off site since 1998 when we stayed at a time share resort about 1/2 a mile from DTD Marketplace. It was a different experience...eating at Denny's afterwards, seeing all the traffic and commercial stores...there wasn't as much 'magic' as staying on-site. It felt more like a trip to Florida with Disney thrown in there. It wasn't a bad trip, just a different experience. Each good in its own way, we just prefer to stay on site to get away from it all.
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

For us, it was either stay off site this year, or not go at all. We are a family of six, so we need larger accomodations. We've tried connecting rooms at Deluxe resorts, and found it to be too expensive, and not comfortable. We need a living area in addition to bedrooms. I found a great deal off site for a two bedroom villa owned by a major hotel chain. It had an awesome pool, and was only a mile away from Disney. Driving wasn't bad. On more than a few occasions, we noted that driving directly to the theme parks was faster than when we stayed on property and used Disney transportation from our hotel to the theme parks.
    There is a disadvantage of having to pay for parking, but it was vastly offset by the cost difference of staying off site. I do like the total immersion of being on property, but our villa was better than any place we'd ever stayed at on property. Our view was the 18th green on a golf course. Also, it was nice having the freedom to dine outside of Disney. We ate several dinners on property, but had a few off property, which was nice and less expensive. We also stocked our villa with items from the grocery for quick breakfasts and snacks, which also saved time and money. It was nice having a grocery nearby.
    It is worth noting, that we went the first week in May, which wasn't too crowded. If we were to go at a busier time of year, I may think twice about staying off site because of traffic. Other than that, I think you'll be fine.
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed off-site for our honeymoon in 1991 - and my 25th birthday. Not knowing what to expect, I thought everything was great. I ddn't realize what I was missing.

We returned to Disney for our 9th Wedding Anniversary - for our son when he was 27 months old. Once we stayed on-site at All Star Sports, we vowed that we would never again stay off-site. We've since extended our stay and upgraded our accommodations, but our feelings haven't changed about the difference in our trips on-site versus off.

DH feels so strongly about this that if we had to stay off-site, he wouldn't even consider a trip to Disney World. It really is a significant difference in the type of vacation you take. Just our opinion as a family . . .
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Although I really can't compare because I've never stayed on-site, but right now I'd be hard-pressed to spend the money to. I work in hospitality and am blessed to get a very good discount at a good amount of nice hotels, so when money talks... And the one we always stay at is right around the corner from DTD in a nice quiet area, so we like it. Gets you away from the hectic crowds of the day.
    "Thank you for choosing Magic Carpet for all your travel needs. Don't stand till the rug has come to a complete stop. Thank you, good bye now, good bye, thank you, good bye..."

1984, 1997, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008,
    2010 x 3, 2011 x 3, 2012

Post Thanks / Like

Offsite-You can get rooms sometimes less than half of what you would pay on site. (motel 6, days inn, ect often in the $30's per night) This can be a major $$ saver, or you could just use the savings for gifts/meals. Also, if time is an issue, you save some because you can just go straight to the parks without having to go to the resorts. (one trip i did this, and went straight from MCO to MK. ) Another perk is the ability to eat at different places for much less moolah. Staying onsite you tend to eat at the resort, which limits your choices and costs more.

Those are the major perks of staying offsite, but I prefer to stay onsite, mostly because you feel like you never leave. You also get worlds better service, quality of rooms, and vibe. I've done both, and wouldnt mind either again. I just prefer onsite myself.
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

We used to stay offsite during our Disney stays, but we now prefer to stay onsite while doing Disney. We always do the meal plan and we find everything so convenient. However, when we go to Orlando, we don't just do Disney, so we also stay offsite when we do the other stuff such as shopping and the beach.
    Off-Site: 1977, 1984, 1988, 1991, 1993, and 2000
    All-Star Sports - 2002

Coronado Springs Resort - July 12-19, 2008
    Pop Century Resort - May 14-21, 2009
    Caribbean Beach Resort - August 15-20, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

We always stay on site. Usually in values, but at times we through in a mod, and in special cases a deluxe. But, if the choice was off site or no trip....................heck easy choice. Take me to WDW!!

Post Thanks / Like

Our family has been there 12 times. We only stayed on site once. Most of the time we stayed at the Sheraton Vistana Villages. We are a family of 5 and the big rooms were great! The pool is better than most Disney resorts and it is alot cheaper than most of the Disney resorts. The rooms are between 800 - 1100 sq. ft. for a two bedroom villa. We still had a great Disney experience everytime. You still will get that "Disney" feeling no matter where you stay. Have fun!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: