Quantcast Rare Character Plan

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rare Character Plan

hey guys,
    as most of you know I have been a pretty dedicated character angler for a long while now. I dont profess to be on the level of some (Joanna) but I am passionate about the characters.
    I am also pretty driven. So I came up with this zany plan I wanted to get your input on.

We all know Disney is not going to ever allow some of their forgotten characters to ever come out again. However, we also know money talks.

What if about 60 or so of us character anglers got together and paid for Disney to bring out some unbelievable rare characters? I mean like Basil, Rattigan, The Rescuers, Ludwing Von Drake, Dumbo, Owl, Kanga, Donald's Nephews?????? Would you be interested?

Just a thought, curious to see what you character fans would say?
    Loads of trips since 1974...

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm definitely interested!
    POR 10/13, DL Hotel 9/13, Poly 1/13
    CB 10/12
    Poly 1/12
    POR 10/11
    POFQ 5/11
    Poly 1/11
    GF 11/10
    POFQ 5/10
    Poly 1/10
    WL 10/09
    WL 6/09
    AKL1/09
    CB 7/08
    CS 5/08
    Pop 4/08
    CB 10/07 &12/07
    Yacht Club 07
    POFQ 06
    POFQ 05
    POR 04
    ASM 03
    ASM 00
    AS Movies 99
    OffSite 97
    AS Sports 96

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't even know they had Basil and Rattigan...or Bernard and Ms. B. (for that matter)....that would be GREAT!
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Greenlawler, I do think that is an awesome plan and I'm extremely tempted to join you with it, but there's also a part of me that almost feels like it would be cheating. You know, like the whole thrill of this hobby for me is the chase, and if we pay for characters to come out then the chase is taken out of it.

Anyways, it's still a great plan to meet rare characters and the best of luck to you!

Post Thanks / Like

I think you're very dedicated
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy0101 View Post
    Greenlawler, I do think that is an awesome plan and I'm extremely tempted to join you with it, but there's also a part of me that almost feels like it would be cheating. You know, like the whole thrill of this hobby for me is the chase, and if we pay for characters to come out then the chase is taken out of it.

Anyways, it's still a great plan to meet rare characters and the best of luck to you!
    I agree but I just would like to see some of these characters I have a sinking feeling will never be out again.

Post Thanks / Like

Definately be on board for this one.....altho, I recently did a survey for WDW and they may be introducing a plan where you can pay for extra character interactions with the purchase of your park ticket.....that would be interesting to see who would show up to that one!

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you were to do some of those, Kida, Milo, VInnie, Molinere, Jim Hawkins, BEN...the ones who will never be out again, definitely not cheating. With the state of character meet and greets as it exists today in the US parks, its the only way.

The Adventurers Club enthusiasts will be holding the second annual Congaloosh in two weeks where with Disneys help will bring back the characters for the second year in a row.

Now...the cost...Ive heard characters cost anywhere from $500-1500 per half hour to attend a wedding, so even if you get them on the low end there would be substantial cost. This type of thing would be run through banquets which would involve a food and beverage component as well plus space at a resort, tax, gratuity, etc. Cheapest option might be some sort of dessert reception.

Also a consideration, who knows the state of the costumes and whether training would be needed on Disneys part. Im sure that would be a consideration as well.

In addition, Disney has some tight rules about charging admission to an on property event. Obviously it could be worked out, but someone would have to front the entire cost and hope to recover it through admissions. You'd probably be in the $200 a person range, and I dont know how many people would be willing to pay that much.

With that said, I have 2 here who would be interested

Post Thanks / Like

I would definately be interested!

I love characters
    Avid character hunter and Disney character blogger!

Post Thanks / Like

It would be great, but I doubt most of the general populace would even know who we were. Still, it would be fun.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

So I heard an urban Disney legend that this actually has happened in the past. Anyone have more definitive info on who the organizer was/is?

Its a shame that there is now a black market for rare character meet and greets...

Post Thanks / Like

Gee, I was just happy to have been able to see Price John, Robin Hood, and the Queen of Hearts! LOL I would love to see more!
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

Post Thanks / Like

I will. But, I never even knew Dumbo had a meet and greet
    June 2002 - AS Movies
    June 2006 - Pop Century
    June 2008 - AS Music
    June 2009 - Wilderness Lodge
    May - June 2010 - POR
    July 2011 - Pop Century
    July 2012 - POFQ
    June 2013 - POFQ
    March 2014 - AS Sports
    July 2014 - AKL
    Everything is better with a little magic!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asianway View Post
    I think if you were to do some of those, Kida, Milo, VInnie, Molinere, Jim Hawkins, BEN...the ones who will never be out again, definitely not cheating. With the state of character meet and greets as it exists today in the US parks, its the only way.

The Adventurers Club enthusiasts will be holding the second annual Congaloosh in two weeks where with Disneys help will bring back the characters for the second year in a row.

Now...the cost...Ive heard characters cost anywhere from $500-1500 per half hour to attend a wedding, so even if you get them on the low end there would be substantial cost. This type of thing would be run through banquets which would involve a food and beverage component as well plus space at a resort, tax, gratuity, etc. Cheapest option might be some sort of dessert reception.

Also a consideration, who knows the state of the costumes and whether training would be needed on Disneys part. Im sure that would be a consideration as well.

In addition, Disney has some tight rules about charging admission to an on property event. Obviously it could be worked out, but someone would have to front the entire cost and hope to recover it through admissions. You'd probably be in the $200 a person range, and I dont know how many people would be willing to pay that much.

With that said, I have 2 here who would be interested
    Funny how this thread seems to keep poping up.

I just read your response asianway.

I have checked in on everything you talked about. I have talked to several people in conventions and special events, as I have booked some other trips for some large groups. Everything you said is spot on. However the cm I talked to said that there was a decrease in price for every additional character.

I was lead to believe that in order to get 8 characters, we could pay around $3,000. At this rate we would also be afforded a space.

Now if we had lets say 75 people paying $40 this could happen.

The major roadblock however would be two fold.

1. Time: Getting 75 people through a meet n greet line will take time. We would have to do the Meet N Greets in two shifts. Every person would be on a strict time limit. I think they only allow characters 20 minutes shifts so there would have to be some negotiation here.

2. People: Sure there are thousands of people world wide who love the characters. But finding 75 character fans willing to make their way down the same weekend, and spend $40 a piece? Not sure. I am sure these people exsist, heck I know about five. But somehow locking them in...committing them, that's a tall order.

Post Thanks / Like

Indoor and below a certain heat threshhold is 30 minute sets, the 20 minutes kick in when it gets hot out - not sure exact temp, its like 80s. $40 would be a bargain.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: