Quantcast Smokers at Disney Resorts

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Smokers at Disney Resorts

Can anyone tell me why grown adults cannot follow the simple rule of only smoking in designated areas when staying at a Disney resort???

Everytime we have stayed at a Disney resort we have always ran into people smoking while walking around or while leaning over the railing outside their room.

My wife has COPD and cannot be around smokers.

I do not feel that I should be the smoker police, but I do call them out when I see them doing this. Not to toot my own horn, but hey...I'm 6'3" 250 pounds, I don't usually get any backtalk.

Why can't people just do what they are suppose to do??? And why doesn't Disney enforce their own rules??? I have yet to see a castmember say something to a smoke violator. In the parks as well.

Up to now we have only stayed at moderates resorts. During our December trip we will be staying at the Beach Club. At least we won't have to walk outside to get to the food court/restaurants. Maybe this will cut down on smoker encounters.

Now if someone is smoking out on their balcony I think I will flip out.

Comments???

By the way...I still LOVE Disney!!
    Randy

It all started with a mouse. WD

*85 thru 98 - Offsite
    *Oct 99 - CBR
    *Aug 02 - CBR
    *May 03 - Offsite
    *May 05 - POFQ
    *Sept 05 - POFQ
    *June 07 - Offsite
    *July 07 - Offsite
    *Oct 07 - POFQ
    *Dec 07 - Offsite
    *May 08 - Offsite
    *Sept 08 - CBR
    *May 09 - POFQ
    *Lost count!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

On one trip to the Poly a few years ago, our neighbors were smoking on the balcony and I think in their bathroom, because our bathroom reeked of it. I called and complained. My son and I have asthma and it was really bothering me. I was told that it would be taken care of, and the offending party was gone the next day. Maybe they checked out, maybe they were moved, I don't know.

I think a lot of smokers have a sense of entitlement, why shouldn't they smoke anywhere? And I suspect they think the same of nonsmokers, that we feel we're entitled to pen them up. They're losing the freedom to smoke where they want, and it probably pains them a bit. I agree that it must be a real nuisance for them, too, but at the same time, I have to breathe in their smoke and it does affect me. Possibly a lot of the wandering smokers are from areas where smoking is not confined to an area but allowed everywhere. Remember those days? Wow. It would be hard to have to get used to being in a smoke-filled room now that it's a thing of the past in most of the US. I try not to bug smokers unless it really gets to me, and I do appreciate the smokers who are considerate of others.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I report 'em whenever I see 'em. That usually means calling the front desk and giving them the room number that the smoker is hanging out the balcony of. I hope they get charge a huge "cleanup fee".

Post Thanks / Like

I got that a lot when I stay at ASMovies. When one dude was on the balcony smoking outside his room, I asked him to stop. The next day he was doing it again, and I grabbed the cigarette and threw it down. Boy was he mad, but I didn't see him smoking there anymore. I hate to do things like that, but my wife and DD have asthma, and the "protector" mode kicks in from time to time.

At AKL-Kidani, I didn't see any of that anywhere. Maybe the cigarettes cost so much that they can only afford the Value resorts.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Moderator Alert!!

Welcome to yet another hot topic on INTERCOT! This thread will not be allowed to become a "smoker bashing" thread, as all that does is lead to a lot of animosity and an unproductive thread.

If you discover someone smoking outside a designated area (as marked on the resort map), the proper course of action is to call the Front Desk or find a Cast Member.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

To the OP, the designated smoking areas as of last October (when I stayed at the Beach Club Villas) were:

1. Alcove by the Villas quiet pool
    2. Area on the walkway between the Villas and Beach Club Marketplace
    3. Out near the entrance to the Villas
    4. 2 by Stormalong Bay
    5. Alcove by the Beach Club quiet pool
    6. One that looks to be just outside a door by Cape May Cafe
    7. Near the Beach Club bus stop

Please note that these locations (at any of the resorts) are subject to change, so check the resort map when you check in for the most up to date information.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

One of the key points the OP makes is that it's never Disney cast members taking the initiative. They always wait for it to be reported. That's wrong. I suggested a long time ago that ALL cast members should carry around little business card size cards that say "No smoking here" in many languages. Heck, Nicotine gum would probably sponsor it and put a coupon on the other side.

If the cast members get very aggressive and keep bothering the smokers, then it might actually reduce the hazard.
    Steve "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey"
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

This is not a smokers bashing post. This is a post informing "Sneaking a smoke" people who think "hey I am outside who can this hurt." Your smoke can linger. A person like my DW can walk into that smoke and cause her to suffer a severe asthma attack. Nothing scares me more to see my Wife trying to breathe and recover from that exposure.

I understand smoking is legal and yes you have every right to smoke just please think how it can effect others and use the designated areas. Disney has provided may spots with benches and I know at All Star Movies even a cover for one spot I saw. I do not spend any time at a smoking area but it seems you get to meet and talk to new people. (Trying to put a nice spin on the smoke spots)

LOL... Now if they had a "way to much perfume" spot.... but that's for a whole different thread.
    1977 FW, 1990 CBBR, 2000 POR,
    2006 ASM, 2007 ASM, 2008 GF
    2009 POP, 2010 ASM, 2010 POP
    2012 POP

POP AGAIN! 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I know that as a smoker that I do abide by the rules and only smoke in designated areas...
    Cast members are on the lookout believe me...
    The first year that we were there I was breaking the rules and walking in AK and smoking and I got caught by a CM and he told me very politely to put it out and find a designated smoking area...That did it for me...I have never since then smoked outside of a designated area...The embarrassment was enough to change my mind and this is my bad habit and I don't need to make anyone else uncomfortable...I would not do it in the room at my resort either...I could find something much better to spend my money on than a fine for breaking the rules...
    Amy
    80 Camping șoș
    89 Offsite șoș
    05 ASM șoș
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Oh boy! Hot topic is right! I wish Disney would be a little more pro-active about letting smokers know where they can smoke. I've run into smokers who prop their doors open and stick their heads out for a quick one. I wouldn't dare say anything to them, or attempt to take the cig out of their hands. Smokers tend to be pretty volatile these days. It's important to remember we are talking about an addiction, not just a bad habit. Addicts NEED to smoke because their bodies crave the nicotine. I feel sorry for them, but I also wish they would just follow the rules and smoke only where it's permitted.
    Just Jill.......

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

A funny story re smokers and the rules. My Mother was a smoker, but she always followed the rules. One day when we were in the MK, she asked if we could go to the nearest designated spot, which happened to be just off of Main Street. Since we were the only ones there, I sat with her (I'm not a smoker), but when others came along, I started to cough from the smoke. And Mom being Mom, looked at me sweetly and said "Remember, this IS the smoking area, so you can't complain." Every time I walk past a designated spot, no matter where it is, I think of that moment and laugh.

Just another crazy, happy memory of Mom!!
    Sylvia șOș

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

ex smoker here...

Smokers who do not follow the rules bug me because I always went out of my way to make sure I didn't bother anyone when I did. After I quit I noticed the smoke more, and although it doesn't bother me I can see how it can irk others who don't or have never smoked.

However, all smokers might not know the rules about smoking at resorts. Even I broke one rule when I used to smoke. (when I grabbed a smoke while walking to my car from the room while in the parking lot. ) I wasn't purposely breaking the rule, I just didnt think it was something that might bother people. I'll play the 's advocate and say some people just don't realize it's an issue. The balcony thing though is unforgivable, and that is never ok.

With the rules and taxes against smokers these days I don't see it being much of an issue for much longer. Maybe with more people quitting like I did they will realize how far the smoke can travel and spread the word about being more considerate.
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

DW and I are both smokers.
    We do obey the rules.
    WDW recently moved some designated areas and we were smoking there until we were told the designation was changed.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to say it, but we saw plenty of people smoking outside of the designated areas when we were at Beach Club last week. I think it happens everywhere and many smokers assume that if they are outside it is okay.

I agree about the need for more proactive CM's. I usually don't say anything, but it does bother me and I wish Disney did more to enforce the rules.

I did however see a CM at EPCOT addressing a smoker who was not in the smoking area so I guess they do confront smokers sometimes.

DH used to be a smoker so I understand both sides, but DH always went out of his way to smoke away from others. Keeping up with the location of the designated smoking areas is easy. If the trash cans have ash trays on top you are in a smoking area. If not, then you are in a non-smoking area.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    The next day he was doing it again, and I grabbed the cigarette and threw it down. Boy was he mad.......
    At AKL-Kidani, I didn't see any of that anywhere. Maybe the cigarettes cost so much that they can only afford the Value resorts.
    You are crackin' me up son!!!!
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    To the OP, the designated smoking areas as of last October (when I stayed at the Beach Club Villas) were:

1. Alcove by the Villas quiet pool
    2. Area on the walkway between the Villas and Beach Club Marketplace
    3. Out near the entrance to the Villas
    4. 2 by Stormalong Bay
    5. Alcove by the Beach Club quiet pool
    6. One that looks to be just outside a door by Cape May Cafe
    7. Near the Beach Club bus stop

Please note that these locations (at any of the resorts) are subject to change, so check the resort map when you check in for the most up to date information.
    I was just about to ask if they have a notice in the resorts where smoking is acceptable. I have noticed when I go to Disney there are A LOT of foreigners. Most foreign countries have a big smoking population so I guess they tend to fail to notice where they are and aren't allowed to smoke. I've mentioned it to some and they are very accommodating when it is brought to their attention.
    dm2K
    1993 - BC/Cruise; 1996 - BC; 1998 - BC; 2000 - YC; 2002 - FQ; 2004 - Campground/BC; 2005 - POR; 2007 - BWI; 2008 - AKL; Christmas 2010 - BC; 2011 - All Star Sports; 2012 - AKL & WL; 2013 - DL and CSR

Post Thanks / Like

I'm married to a very conscientious smoker. He only smokes in the areas he's supposed to. I make a laminated list for him of all areas in all parks before we leave home.

I have 2 complaints. If you are walking near a designated smoking area, please don't give dirty looks to the smokers. They are following the rules.
    The 2nd is that, at our last stay at CBR, I, as a runner, found it incredibly annoying that the designated smoking areas were all along the running path. Why would WDW put all the benches in the one area that people are trying to do something healthy?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that Disney should not put smoking areas along walking or jogging paths. I have asthma so I don't like to have to go through a pile of smoke to get somewhere. When you walk outside of the BCV walking towards the Marketplace you can turn left to go behind the BC for an easier way to get to EPCOT. As you take the left right on the walkway there is a designated smoking area. Not the smokers fault because they are following the rules but Disney needs to rethink where they put the designated areas.

Post Thanks / Like

Another strange place to put a smoking area is the one between the front door and the bus stop at Animal Kingdom Lodge?? Where is the sense in that? Whenever possible, we would cut through the store to avoid this area; however, this is not always a possibility when you are leaving or arriving before or after store hours. (I often wondered if Disney situated the smoking area in this spot in order to drive the non-smokers into the store??!)
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    (I often wondered if Disney situated the smoking area in this spot in order to drive the non-smokers into the store??!)
    I think you have hit the nail on the head there!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: