Quantcast Do restaurants make menu exceptions?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    The DISNEY restaurants will be pretty accommodating, but the restaurants on Disney property that are not owned by Disney (like at the Swan/Dolphin/Downtown Disney) may have more strict rules.

We ate at Bluezoo a few months ago, and ordered the filet. It came with Brussels sprouts, which neither I or DH cared for. We asked the waiter if we could sub something else, and he pretty much convinced us to leave the dish as is, as the chef chose that vegetable to complement the sauce, and the dish's composition would be "compromised" if we took them away, blah, blah, blah. So, we just said "fine, we'll take it as is." Well, wouldn't you know they were right! I actually LOVED the way the Brussels sprouts were prepared. They were amazing, and really did complete the dish.

Ill health effects aside, if a restaurant has a chef that takes a lot of pride in his/her dishes, I can appreciate that they might feel a bit miffed about people changing around what they took a lot of time to "perfect."
    I can respect that but at the same time, if it's a food I won't eat, it's not really complimenting anything and just going to waste.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seasonscraps View Post
    I can respect that but at the same time, if it's a food I won't eat, it's not really complimenting anything and just going to waste.
    That's why upscale restaurants like that offer a la carte side dishes. I think it's reasonable to expect to be told "no substitutions" in certain types of restaurants, especially if the substitution would end up being more costly for the plate.

But, I think dietary restrictions due to allergy/food intolerance should ALWAYS be allowed and graciously done by the kitchen staff.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    That's why upscale restaurants like that offer a la carte side dishes. I think it's reasonable to expect to be told "no substitutions" in certain types of restaurants, especially if the substitution would end up being more costly for the plate.

But, I think dietary restrictions due to allergy/food intolerance should ALWAYS be allowed and graciously done by the kitchen staff.

ITA!!! But I wouldn't use an allergy as an excuse for a subtitution for something I don't like. That would put undue pressure on the chef and kitchen staff.

I have never been told no substitions - I have paid an upcharge for a new selection but I can't recall being told no. Great point about the a la carte items on expensive places, I never thought of it that way. Thinking of steakhouses, I thought it was due to the fact that they are sized for sharing since the entrees are generally larger then standard portions.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seasonscraps View Post
    That's what the poster above you thought about Brussels sprouts. If you have an allergy or a health concern, I understand requesting a substitution, and I would expect the restaurant to accommodate your needs. But if you simply dislike a certain food, I would try the dish as constituted. You may surprise yourself.

Personally, I never make substitutions beyond "dressing on the side" or "not too much mayo, please." If there is an ingredient I dislike, I pick another dish. No question about it.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Disney restaurants are some of the the most accommodating restaurants ive ever been to. My GF has a wheat intolerance and it can be a challenge to find something on the menu without flour without having to order from the Gluten Free Menu. At every restaurant and counter service place the chef/manager comes out and makes sure she gets something good to eat that she'll enjoy.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: