Quantcast Has anyone ever asked this question?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Has anyone ever asked this question?

Getting ready to board a ride, say PoTC, and you really don't want the ride experience marred by the idiots and their flashes from the cameras...so....

Has anyone ever been standing, waiting to board your boat, and asked the others waiting for the same boat "Hey, is anyone going to be taking flash photos? If so, I'll just wait for the next boat. Please let me know. Thank you."

It's nice, it's to the point, and you are willing to take the next boat and not make them wait.

Has anyone done this? I'm tempted, just want to know how it went over.

Thanks!
    Karen

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
    "So it is."
    "And freezing."
    "Is it?"
    "Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

We have never asked that question but would
    like to ask it many times on different rides and
    shows. The cast members ask that you don't
    take pictures on some rides and shows but the
    people still do it. I don't understand why they
    do after being told not to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darbylew View Post
    The cast members ask that you don't take pictures on some rides and shows but the people still do it. I don't understand why they do after being told not to.
    Because some people insist they are going to do what they want to do, rules & common courtesy be darned.

I do have to say, as many times as I've been on POTC, I've experienced flash photography once. Years ago (pre-refurb), the boat had just taken off & a couple decided to whip out their cameras & start flashing away. To my surprise, the boat came to a stop & a CM came over the speaker & announced that flash photography is not allowed and instructed everyone to refrain from taking flash photos. The couple quickly put their camera away.
    Michael Bluth: I need access to these files that are apparently for British eyes only.
    Rita: Well, lucky for you, my whole face is British.

Post Thanks / Like

There has been the odd flash for sure, but far worse than the flash photography, IMO, is the Cell-phone lights parents use with their children on dark rides .... ESPECIALLY the Haunted Mansion. I can't remember the last ride through the HM that wasn't marred by some kind of lighting device. Sorry ... a bit of a peeve of mine.

I have never asked the question, and would not be bothered if you asked it of me.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Funny you should post this...
    We just got home from WDW. While at the Haunted Mansion, the couple in the next doom buggy was shooting w/flash through the entire ride. For some people, it's all about "ME".

Post Thanks / Like

No, but I would like to!

I've been known to call out in rides "there is no flash photography, and that means you" a couple of times, especially on Peter Pan. Somehow, flying over London with flashes all around just looses something.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I never have, but what I'd really like to do is when an errant flash goes off on a dark ride I'd like to take the camera from that person, calmly remove the batteries, place them in my pocket, and return the camera to them.

The funny thing about people insisting on taking flash photos or having on their external video camera lighting is that these implements typically make the photo or video WORSE in really dark situations like a dark ride. A flash is only going to illuminate what is immediately in front of it unless you have a professional external flash. People are better off taking their chances w/ a shot using no external lighting. At least then you might see something rather than just seeing a big white blur or the edge of the ride vehicle all lit up!
    Recent Disney Trips
    -May 2007 (Pop Century)
    -Oct. 2007 (Saratoga Springs)
    -Dec. 2007 (DL - Paradise Pier Hotel)
    -Oct. 2008 (Caribbean Beach)
    -Feb. 2010 (Pop Century)
    -Feb. 2011 (AKL)
    -Feb. 2012 (DL - Paradise Pier Hotel)
    -Dec. 2012 (Coronado Springs)
    -Oct. 2014 (Coronado Springs)

Post Thanks / Like

THE WORST was when they first put in Jack Sparrow. It looked like the paparazzi was in the boat with us snaping away
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

If someone is going to do anyway, despite the warning from the CM, I seriously doubt they'll give you advanced notice, no matter how nicely you phrase your question.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, it does get on my nerves as well. But I too have been guilty of this, and not meant to. I try to set my camera to take with no flash, but if I wait too long, it sometimes returns to auto and will flash accidently. I do stop taking pictures at that point or try to correct it again before taking any more pictures.
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure it would really matter if you are in the same boat or not. We were there just last week and had the boats in front of us and behind us all taking flash photography. Ruined the whole atmosphere of the ride. Since they usually end up getting bunch all together I don't see what difference it would make.
    Sometimes, when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things,you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

Post Thanks / Like

Camera flashes are annoying, but it's something that is nearly impossibe to stop... Another pet hate? External video lighting! Had a guy sat behind me on dinosaur lighting up the whole world a few years back. Dinosaurs just don't look so convincing when you see everything... Wanted to feed his camera to the dinosaurs....

As a joke I think they should modify one of there dark rides so that they can send cars on rides like dinosaur down a different route and stop them in pitch blacknees and scare the living daylights out of people with camera flashes! Would be interesting :p

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I guess I must be a bit more laid back or something, because honestly I don't get all the fuss about the flashes.

Doesn't really bother me that much at all. In fact, I'm far more annoyed if someone is texting or using a Blackberry/iPhone in front of me than I am by flashes. It's that constant, distracting glow in my eyes that annoys me.

I think flashes, to me, are just kind of part of being in Disney World. People want pictures.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Got to agree with Ian, the constant glow of cell phones bother me more than flashes. It's especially bad at night or dark lines. There are so many people looking at cell phones that there is a glow everywhere. Folks, put the cell phone away. You are on vacation and can skip twitter and facebook for a few minutes and let all of us enjoy the attraction and not your phone.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    Got to agree with Ian, the constant glow of cell phones bother me more than flashes. It's especially bad at night or dark lines. There are so many people looking at cell phones that there is a glow everywhere. Folks, put the cell phone away. You are on vacation and can skip twitter and facebook for a few minutes and let all of us enjoy the attraction and not your phone.
    well said!!

Post Thanks / Like

While the question might be practical, it would bother me to have to ask, since the rules are that flash photography is banned. Besides, who is going to actually admit in front of the CM's that they plan on taking flash photography?
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer1981 View Post
    THE WORST was when they first put in Jack Sparrow. It looked like the paparazzi was in the boat with us snaping away
    This is when I noticed it. There were tons of flashes on POTC when Jack appeared. I can't say it bothered me a whole lot other than the one ride where there were about 8 girls snapping flash photos.

I'll be first to admit that I've done it several times by accident on POTC, Peter Pan, and Haunted Mansion. But after feeling stupid, I turn the flash off and hope for the best.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I guess I must be a bit more laid back or something, because honestly I don't get all the fuss about the flashes.

Doesn't really bother me that much at all. In fact, I'm far more annoyed if someone is texting or using a Blackberry/iPhone in front of me than I am by flashes. It's that constant, distracting glow in my eyes that annoys me.

I think flashes, to me, are just kind of part of being in Disney World. People want pictures.
    It's not a matter of being uptight or intolerant for some of us, Ian. I get migraines. Flashing lights in the dark trigger them for me. If the people directly in front of you are taking flash photos, it can actually impair your eyesight with a temporary light blindness-- especially since people who are careless enough to take flash photos on dark rides are rarely kind enough to make sure they're not flashing right in your eyes. But the cell phone and steady camera lights bother me, too. That's just more of an annoyance that I am laid back enough to let go.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

On my last trip, I pretty much missed POC because I couldn't get my flash to turn off on my camera and I was bound and determined to get it turned off! I did...but it was about the time we were going by the last scene... I meant to ride it again later to enjoy it, but we never did. Maybe I'll ride it twice this time just to make up for it!
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

We rode Pirates of the Carr two weeks ago, and the cameras and cell phones didn't bother me as much as a family behind me. They were narrating the ENTIRE ride to their 4 year old - LOUDLY, and in a 4 year old's language.

"Look Sam, the pirates are sleeping with the piggie. Oh, and look, Sam at the fire - it isn't real fire because if it was, we would have to call the fireman. What do we do if we catch on fire, Sam? Yes, very good, stop, drop and roll. Look at the doggie, Sam. It looks like Aunt Marcia's doggie Buddy, doesn't it?" and on, and on..... I was so mad! But I kept it zipped.... barely!
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: