Quantcast Do you tip your mousekeeper? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

We make up tip envelopes ahead of time. They are decorated with stickers and I write "thanks" on the front. We usually tip $3-5/day (there are 3 of us). I leave the envelope in an obvious location before we leave each day.
    Like others have already said--we do not do it for better service, just as a thanks for taking care of our room. If there is ever a problem we take it up with our Mousekeeper directly. If it is still not resolved we'll talk with their manager. Fortunately, we have never have had to do that.
    June 29-July 5th-Shades of Green
    Sep 2013-Port Orleans FQ
    Dec 2010 Coronado Springs
    Dec 2009 Pop Century
    Sep 2008 POFQ
    Sep 2006 POFQ
    SOG Dec 2006
    April 2002 All Star
    May 1998 SOG
    June 1993 POFQ
    Disneyland-numerous times since 1966 (Last time-Jul 2012)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to note that I was "raised" to tip as well. DH and I are generous tippers. However, I firmly believe that a tip is something that should be earned not just given because of a low paying job.

We've not had good housekeeping in WDW in years. I've taken it up with both the housekeeper as well as management and not much seems to be done. I know that if I were doing a sloppy job at anything I'd never expect my guests to leave me a tip when they are having to do part of my job for me.

If DH did his job halfway, he'd never expect a raise, he'd expect to be fired! To me its the same thing.

If we have great service, heck even just decent service, then by all means we do tip. However, during our most recent trips nothing about our housekeepers has made me feel compelled to tip them. And I don't expect towel animals or anything extra, just a clean room.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Silly question:
    If you leave a dollar for the housekeeper every day, how do they know it's for them to take? Like, what if it was just a dollar sitting on the dresser... not meant to be a tip? How do they know it's actually for them?
    I know about people making up Mousekeeping envelopes (which I think is awesome!), but let's say you forgot to do that. I've always wondered: is there a standard place you're supposed to put the tip so they know it's for them?
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

I was never raised that tipping at hotels is normal. In fact, I'd never heard of it until a few years ago when I read about it here on Intercot. I'll tip waitresses, bell services, taxis, and hair stylists - but I had never heard of hotel tipping.

Since then, I've began tipping, though not nearly as much as a lot of poster do. One trip, I'd leave $2/day. Another trip, I'd leave a 5 every 2 or 3 days. I guess I just don't understand the "why" of it all. I figured what I pay Disney or the hotel covers someone coming in to replace towells and vacuum every other day.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Silly question:
    If you leave a dollar for the housekeeper every day, how do they know it's for them to take? Like, what if it was just a dollar sitting on the dresser... not meant to be a tip? How do they know it's actually for them?
    I know about people making up Mousekeeping envelopes (which I think is awesome!), but let's say you forgot to do that. I've always wondered: is there a standard place you're supposed to put the tip so they know it's for them?
    I always leave the tip on the sink and put the little "welcome card" (the one that usually has the mousekeeper's name on it) on top of the money.
    Sylvia ºOº

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

In the hotel industry, it is a standard understanding that money left on the PILLOW on the bed is for the housekeeper. No note will be necessary if you leave the money here.

My thing with NOT tipping is, how do you know that your service is not going to be "above and beyond" when you leave for the day? How do you know you will have the same housekeeper every day (because you won't)? If you leave in the morning and don't come back until AFTER the room has been serviced, and you didn't leave a tip, and the housekeeper did a STELLER job, wouldn't you feel badly?
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    My thing with NOT tipping is, how do you know that your service is not going to be "above and beyond" when you leave for the day? How do you know you will have the same housekeeper every day (because you won't)? If you leave in the morning and don't come back until AFTER the room has been serviced, and you didn't leave a tip, and the housekeeper did a STELLER job, wouldn't you feel badly?
    Yes I would, which is why we continued to tip for many trips even though we had rotten service. We've had many issues, that would take much too long to get into here, but we've also had just plain old lazy housekeepers. I started to feel worse for "wasting" my money than I did for not leaving a tip INCASE our housekeeper decided to do her job. When I'm doing all the cleaning, or we can't even get clean glasses, or fresh towels, or the trash is left untouched for more than a day or two, or when the floor never gets vacuumed even though it really, really needs it, bathroom floors never touched on a more than week long vacation, or when our beds are left stripped with a stack of fresh sheets on each bed for us to make ourselves when getting back from a late night in the parks with two tired kids, I just can't find it in myself to feel bad for not tipping. There have been many times that our beds weren't even made. The only sign that a housekeeper had even entered the room was the fresh towels, or that the trash was actually taken out.

At first we'd tip for the first few days and then stop tipping half way through the week because of lack of good service. After a few trips we just didn't bother to tip at all. Sorry if that offends some of you, but when we don't feel a tip is being earned then we don't leave one. I've even come to think that maybe on our last trip or two we got bad service because we weren't tipping, but that should never be the case. A room should never be left mostly uncleaned just because the guests didn't tip. However, like I said, our service was bad on our last several trips whether or not we were tipping. Just like you think what if I don't leave a tip and they do an oustanding job, I started to feel like what if I leave more money for someone who won't even do her job right, let along do a great job.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Default To tip

On our last trip we stayed at Pop and this was our 1st time tipping mousekeeping. We budgeted $2 per person per day. We put an envelpoe on the pillow labled and many times we returned "home" to find towel animals and the stuffed animal Stitch had gotten into trouble while we were out! It was very cute and we thought our housekeeper did a great job. The only reason we never did before was b/c we hadn't been a part of intercot and learned that little bit of info!
    -Marcy-
    Mom to: Katina Ann "TiTi" & Adrianna Jacey "AJ"

DLR/ Summer of 1988

7/26 - 8/2 2003- Off Site
    7/2 - 7/9 2006- CBR Jamacia
    11/21 - 12/1 2007- CBR Martinique
    11/18 - 11/28 2009- Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

I leave $5 for everyday I use mousekeeping. I usually have them come every other day. I have never had a problem with Mousekeepers. I leave the money under the welcome card on the table.
    DEC 2005 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Old Key West
    Dec 2007 All Star Sports
    Sept 2008 Pop Century

February 2012 off property!

Post Thanks / Like

We only use Mousekeeping every second day, and we tip $5. Last time it really seemed to make a difference in service - they started doing turn down with chocolates! But I don't expect that - I tip for clean and professional :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Most certainly! And daily. It definitely comes back to you in service.
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

If you leave in the morning and don't come back until AFTER the room has been serviced, and you didn't leave a tip, and the housekeeper did a STELLER job, wouldn't you feel badly?
    Nope...I would not feel badly at all..we tip based solely on performance, not potential.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Usually its just DW and myself.
    When I was about 100 years younger, I was a weekend bartender, for $20 per night.Tips would triple or better my salary. So I know the value of a tip at either end. That being said, yes we do tip a dollar per person per night, each night, because in most large hotels you rarely get the same person two days straight.
    I just cannot see stiffing Wednesdays mousekeeper because Tuesdays did a sub-standard job.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I bring a couple notecards with matching envelopes. I write a nice note on the first day saying thanking them for caring for us in the coming week, and that I like to leave half the tip today and half at the end. I have done this 4 times now with WONDERFUL results. Towel animals, perfect cleanliness, full replenishment of towels and shampoos.

Based on what I saw a few times during these weeks, the same team of women worked our hallway.

Hope you have a great trip.
    1975 & 1977 - Summer - Disneyland
    1991 April - WDW
    1993 April - WDW
    2006 June - Saratoga Springs
    2007 July – Saratoga Springs
    2010 February - Caribbean Beach Resort
    2010 October – AKL Jambo
    2011 July - Old Key West
    2013 October - OKW
    2015 September - AKL Jambo
    2016 September - AKL Jambo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    Nope...I would not feel badly at all..we tip based solely on performance, not potential.
    if done more often this way it would negative inflated salaries paid to many!
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

..which came first : the tip, or the stellar service provided? I know when I was working at a coffee shop, and I received a tip before I made the drink, I would appreciate the generosity of that customer, and more than likely, do all I can to go above and beyond to show my appreciation. It's a mutual understanding and courtesy.
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McLiberal8 View Post
    ..which came first : the tip, or the stellar service provided? I know when I was working at a coffee shop, and I received a tip before I made the drink, I would appreciate the generosity of that customer, and more than likely, do all I can to go above and beyond to show my appreciation. It's a mutual understanding and courtesy.
    That's what I'm saying! If a housekeeper walks into the room, and sees the tip right off the bat, MORE THAN LIKELY that housekeeper will provide better service than if there was no tip. Now, in a perfect world, that's now how it would be, but we are all humans. We appreciate when others appreciate US. A tip shows the housekeeper that you appreciate the job they do, and offer your thanks for taking care of the room. It's a service position. Anyone doing a service FOR YOU (that you could, technically, do yourself) should be tipped. It's a courtesy thing...

Maybe I've gotten lucky, but I've always had outstanding housekeeping at Disney resorts. And, I always leave tips. The ONE time we had poor housekeeping was over 10 years ago when we stayed at CR (with my mom). We were put into a filthy room (like it hadn't been occupied for MONTHS..it had spider webs and everything). One call down to the housekeeping manager fixed it within 2 hours and a top to bottom cleaning of the room. Our service from then on was impeccable.

Interestingly enough, we've also noticed over the years that if we address our housekeeper in SPANISH when we see him/her (after we determine that they speak the language), we are treated like ROYALTY! A simple "hola, como estas?" on the way out works WONDERS! Just a little hint for you all...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Interestingly enough, we've also noticed over the years that if we address our housekeeper in SPANISH when we see him/her (after we determine that they speak the language), we are treated like ROYALTY! A simple "hola, como estas?" on the way out works WONDERS! Just a little hint for you all...
    You know, I've never really noticed it before, but I always try to speak Spanish to anyone I meet who speaks it (I'm not fluent but trying.) I've always had good service at WDW until my last trip at Boardwalk. I had very subpar service especially for a delux. Now thinking about it, my Mousekeeper was from a non-Spanish speaking country. Hmmm...
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

In a past life in a galaxy far, far away I was a member of the housekeeping staff on a Michigan resort island. I know how much I appreciated those tips, and I've always tried to pay it forward. Even though we keep our room neat, we ask for extra shampoos, lotions & towels daily - as well as extra pillows, hangers and such. We tip $3 daily ($1 for each of us) unless we've had measurably bad service and our requests are not met.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was against Disney policy for their employees to accept tips? Is this just solely for CM's in the parks? When we stay at SOG we do tip for services we utilize. We've tried to tip in the parks, but the only ones who can accept them are servers at the sit down restaurants. Do the mousekeepers and restaurant servers belong to the same category of employees?
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST