Quantcast Hyperion Wharf -- New "Pleasure Island" - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Having never been, I need to ask, was Adventures Club profitable or popular?

One matters, the other doesn't...

Something tells me it wasn't for the important question, and as I said, that's all that matters.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post

Something tells me it wasn't for the important question, and as I said, that's all that matters.
    Let's just say it didn't harvest every last penny per square foot, per hour out of the attending guests as wall street wanted. The Pleasure Island concept was, from the beginning, never intended to be a 18 hour a day attraction. IMO, When companies and corporations start worrying more about what wall street wants than what the customers and employees have come to expect, then the company culture is dead. Once that culture is lost it seldon if ever comes back.
    Bill
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.

AKL, Jambo, September 18 to October 2, 2012

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AHOTE View Post
    Let's just say it didn't harvest every last penny per square foot, per hour out of the attending guests as wall street wanted
    I think that could be an understatement. I noticed quite a few, myself included, hanging around trying to figure out what it was all about without ever dropping a dime.
    SteveL

Post Thanks / Like

Concept looks good. I'll reserve judgement until I see the final product.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm excited that they're doing something with this area! It was just depressing, mostly abandoned as it was. At this point any development there will be an improvement. I look forward to checking it out!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BeachClubBum View Post
    Disney management listened to the complaints, wishes and desires of thousands of Adventurer's Club devotees and completely ignored them. They broke a lot of hearts and scrapped one of their most unique and memorable attractions.

I for one try to avoid Downtown Disney at all costs now. I don't go on vacation to go shopping and anything they have downtown, you can pretty much find in the parks. As for the mediocre restaurants downtown, I can do without those as well.
    I'm surprised more people didn't come in here just to tear Disney apart for ignoring this. This was their opportunity to rekindle a loved attraction and they blew it. DtD is dead to us. We take a boat ride there now and turn around and go right back to our resort. Nothing for us mid-20 year olds to do at DtD anymore.
    -Eric

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I knew the economics behind AC, but I was there during an off season about 6 months before it closed and it was packed on a Thursday evening from 8pm through to the final hoopla. It's a memory I'll seriously never forget as me and two others in our party were pulled on stage throughout the night.

KUNGALOOSH! You will be missed AC.
    -Eric

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info!
    JEANY SANCHEZ
    January 2022 Polynesian Village Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AmBo View Post
    it was packed on a Thursday evening from 8pm through to the final hoopla.

KUNGALOOSH! You will be missed AC.
    Thursday nights were traditionally CM night in the club, making it a higher crowd night than most week nights.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveLegos View Post
    Cool! A new & bigger Lego Center (with Disney sculptures) where I can journey into my imagination in a grander way is comming!
    Congratulations and have fun as a Disney Mom
    Disney nut and obsessive Disney vacation planner
    DVC owner at Old Key West and Polynesian Village Resort
    Proud Disney dad who isn't ashamed to be the Goofy to my kids and the Beast to my Belle
    Have stayed at: Ft W; CBR; POFQ;PORS;DLH; DL Paradise Pier; and Vero Beach

Post Thanks / Like

We really used to enjoy hitting the Marketplace (west side has never appealed to us), but now with all the generic merchandise we hardly visit.

There is no diversity of merchandise......they don't have the merchandise that warrants that spending. More stores with the same junk will do nothing to lure me.
    My feeling exactly. I'm so disappointed with the lack of any kind of variety. There is nothing that says "I'm special because I'm from WDW"....

I collected one-of-a-kind mugs, t-shirts, and keychains. Not any more. It's all so generic that I don't spend the dollars I used to. Too bad.
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

The problem as I see it is that there is nothing to actually DO here. I get bored very quickly with the shopping areas. PI was the one place that I would go back to again and again at night. Now? Probably an earlier bedtime and save some money that I used to happily hand over.
    07/94 Disneyland Paris
    03/99 Offsite
    03/00 FW Campground/AS Movies
    01/01 Caribbean Beach
    03/02 WDW Dolphin
    04/15 Grand Floridian
    01/19 Sheraton Vistana Villages

Post Thanks / Like

I completely understand and agree with the lament over the loss of the Adventurer's Club. I'm certainly hopeful that Disney management will someday explore something new like it. That said, it's been a lot of years, and it's probably time for us to move on, donchathink?

As for the new concept, I'm optimistic. Like it or not, the reality of DTD is that it's courting a local crowd more so than out-of-towners, and putting in more shopping and dining is likely to work for that. DTD is never going to be the "fifth gate," and that's not why it's there. As a local, I'm excited about having more dining options. I'm "meh" on shopping -- it'll depend on what they actually put in.

I think it's interesting that everyone is so down on DTD in Orlando for being a shopping and restaurant district, when that's exactly what it is, and all it's ever been, at DLR. There's a lot more "generic" shopping and dining in DLR's DTD, and nobody seems to mind that. Or maybe I'm just not on the threads where people gripe about it.

As loyal, raving, slightly sick Disney fans, don't we owe it to Disney to let them build it BEFORE we start complaining?
    FL Resident Annual Passholder since 2005
    Charter Member, D23
    DVC May 2014 - Villas at Grand Floridian
    Castaway Club Gold (7 cruises, #8 April, 2023)

"There is nothing we do here that is not creative.
    There is nothing creative that we do not do here."
    --WDI

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TracyL View Post
    I think it's interesting that everyone is so down on DTD in Orlando for being a shopping and restaurant district, when that's exactly what it is, and all it's ever been, at DLR. There's a lot more "generic" shopping and dining in DLR's DTD, and nobody seems to mind that. Or maybe I'm just not on the threads where people gripe about it.

When I go to to Disneyland, I don't even step foot in DTD for this very reason.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

I may be alone in this, but I think DTD is actually not bad. I also think this Hyperion Wharf thing will be pretty cool. I enjoy walking around DTD at night, looking at all the lights, checking out the shops, looking at the ESPN Shop, and just relaxing and shopping. I mean, lets admit it, part of the fun of Disney, for most people, is shopping. Lots of us on this board get to go to WDW several times, but to those that only get to go once in their lifetime, a shopping area is kinda important. Having an area to concentrate the majority of your shopping needs gives first time guests the ability to put off shopping until a visit to DTD so they can enjoy the parks a little more without needing to stop in every shop. At least, that's how I see it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tad_tad View Post
    The problem as I see it is that there is nothing to actually DO here. I get bored very quickly with the shopping areas. PI was the one place that I would go back to again and again at night. Now? Probably an earlier bedtime and save some money that I used to happily hand over.
    I agree!! There's NOT anything to do at DtD anymore.... how SAD. Oh well. I'm sure they'll do another overhaul in a handful of years or so. Bummer. It used to be an "adult playground" of sorts....the comedy club, cabaret (Adv. Club), dance clubs etc. No need to go to Dtd just for dining or shopping when you can get great shopping at Epcot! (and save a bus ride!)
    PinKy
    Upcoming trips: July 2021 Big Family trip to Disney!
    Most Recent Trip: October 2020 MNSSHP Family Weekend away!
    DVC Members since 2009

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: