Quantcast Would you sacrifice having park hopper to stay in a better hotel?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Would you sacrifice having park hopper to stay in a better hotel?

We are trying to decide if we should give up the park hopper options and use that money towards upgrading to a moderate hotel?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't, not for a moderate, maybe a deluxe. My family spends more time at the parks than at the hotel. So it wouldn't be worth it for us.
    șOș Coleen șOș

Up next:
    Hubby's 40th - Dec. 2014 (POP) 1st Christmas Trip
    Past Disney Trips
    Honeymoon - August 2004 (Radisson) Hurricane Charlie
    Family Vacation - July 2006 (POP)
    Anniversary Vacation - Aug 2007 (CSR)
    Family Vacation - Oct. 2011 Food & Wine Festival!! (POR) FREE DINING!!

Post Thanks / Like

Park hopping is absolutely vital to me. I virtually always go to more than one park on any given day.
    07/94 Disneyland Paris
    03/99 Offsite
    03/00 FW Campground/AS Movies
    01/01 Caribbean Beach
    03/02 WDW Dolphin
    04/15 Grand Floridian
    01/19 Sheraton Vistana Villages

Post Thanks / Like

Default nope

We have always stayed at Pop simply so that we CAN have the extra money for our park tickets and DDP.

SOMEDAY, maybe, hopefully, when we win the lottery we might stay at the GF or AKL...

note to self: buy lottery tickets...

But for now, Pop Century and Park Hoppers and DxDP is our way to go.

A hotel room at WDW is merely a place to sleep and shower and put our feet up at the end of LONG days of walking and showing our kids a great time.

When we go on other trips to different parts of the country, we pay for nicer hotels. But at WDW, it's Pop!
    MK as a toddler - early 1970s
    Epcot 1980ish
    Polynesian 1986ish
    Epcot 1989
    Off-site 2005
    Pop 2006
    Off-site 2008
    Pop 2009
    Pop 2011

War Eagle! (Auburn University Alum, class of 1993)

Post Thanks / Like

Default One caveat

My only thought is if you have young kids that may not be able to handle the park hopping and need the rest instead. That might necessitate the want for a nicer hotel without the hopping.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

I would think that to some extent it might depend on whether the kids still took naps or not. If you go back to the hotel, you may want to go to a different park in the afternoon. If you just do the marathon park visit all day...that may be different. Even as an adult, I like to take a little hotel break in the early afternoon. :-)
    07/94 Disneyland Paris
    03/99 Offsite
    03/00 FW Campground/AS Movies
    01/01 Caribbean Beach
    03/02 WDW Dolphin
    04/15 Grand Floridian
    01/19 Sheraton Vistana Villages

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I love to park hop I would always vote for that. Besides, you are really not in your hotel that much and if you are you are usually sleeping. Keep the park hopper.

The exception would be if your kids like to swim a lot and you wanted a pool with more activities, slides, etc. Its always a tough decision since we're all on fixed incomes. Some are just fixed higher than others.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

We gave up park hoppers 3 years ago and haven't missed it. We found that we weren't really hopping anyway. We tend to choose one park and stay there all day, or take a break in the middle of the day and go back to the same park. The only thing it has affected is where we eat our TS meals (we have to either eat at the park we've already been to or go to a restaurant at a resort since we can't go to a different park), but that has been easy to work around.

We're DVC members, so we go at least once a year. We tend to do a park day, then a rest/resort/pool day, then a park day, etc. We're not in the parks every day. We like to relax in between parks so we're not so exhausted. If it matters, our kids are 12, 10, 8 and 6.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Nope!

Love the park hoppers and spontaneity that comes with it.

Like some previous posters said, we aren't at the resort except pretty much to sleep . . . so nope ~ park hopping is always better for us!
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

I would think it would depend on 1) number of nights of your stay 2) how many are in your party 3) dining plans and 4) dates of travel.

$54 per person (the individual price on the Hopper option) during the Value season may be a good trade-off, but during a busier time might not. It might be better to have the opportunity to go from one crowded park to another (hopefully) less crowded one, or to allow dining in a different park than the one you want to spend your day visiting.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

We do the same as Basket Mommy. We also quit buying park hoppers years ago. Well actually never paid for them at all. When they switched over to charging extra for park hoppers we never bought them because we never used it anyway. We plan ahead what park we will go to on each day and on the days we finish a park or leave a park early we do the other things such as visit downtown disney, the board walk or go off site to the beach to eat at a nice seafood restaurant. We just simply don't have any desire to waste a major portion of our vacation waiting on buses and going through entrance lines to park hop. One of the most frustrating things about WDW for us is waiting on buses and working through the security and entrance lines. We don't want to deal with that any more than necessary. I know a lot of people do it but it just doesn't make any sense in my mind.
    Also, we can't stand the value resorts. We made the mistake of trying to take a low cost extra trip one year and stayed at the All Star Movies resort during the summer. The bus stop is in front of the building where the sun is baking the front wall. It was like standing in the oven every morning for 30 minutes while waiting on the bus. It was absolutely miserable and I dreaded having to go catch the bus every morning. We like the perks and amenities of the nicer resorts so if I were choosing between park hoppers and a nicer resort, it would be the nicer resort every time.

Post Thanks / Like

we are pretty committed hoppers I suppose in that we seldom spend an entire day at one park...and almost never at the studios or AKL...they (and this is even with the shorter hours of AKL in mind) just aren't all day affairs for us. Without the ability to hop we would end up feeling kind of stranded when we felt like we were done on the days we started at AKL.

To me, at least until they started doing queen beds in the rooms at the mods, the cost to upgrade from a value was negligible...but now I suppose the decision is a bit more complex. I would say do the hopper...but if you take some time off from the parks to nap and swim, the niceties of the mods might be worth a try.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    When they switched over to charging extra for park hoppers we never bought them because we never used it anyway.
    That's when we stopped getting hoppers, too. Maybe it's been more than 3 years?!?

We plan ahead what park we will go to on each day and on the days we finish a park or leave a park early we do the other things such as visit downtown disney, the board walk or go off site to the beach to eat at a nice seafood restaurant. We just simply don't have any desire to waste a major portion of our vacation waiting on buses and going through entrance lines to park hop.
    Exactly.

Also, we can't stand the value resorts. We made the mistake of trying to take a low cost extra trip one year and stayed at the All Star Movies resort during the summer.
    Our one and only stay in the values (Movies, too!) ended in us joining DVC. We're a family of 6, and when the youngest child outgrew the crib, we tried the values. Never again. Just not us. We found that the service, facilities, pools and accomodations@ Deluxes were far superior to what we experienced at the Values. You really get what you pay for ; )

We like the perks and amenities of the nicer resorts so if I were choosing between park hoppers and a nicer resort, it would be the nicer resort every time.
    Definitely.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

It's kind of like asking the question - "Is the Disney Dining Plan worth it?" It is to some, and to others, not, all depends on your individual situation.

The park hopper is a great tool, but if you aren't going to make use of it, why pay for it. Only you can really decide if it's worth it. We were just down there and initially didn't buy the park hoppers, then added it when we were down there for 5 of us (which included 3 dd ages 3-5-8) and in hindsight, not sure if I still would have gone thru with it. There was probably one real night that made it worth while, as a family, then a couple nights I took advantage of it myself, but really it was the dining plans that drove our park hopping. With kids that young, not sure it was really worth it.

Again, it all depends on your individual situation. If you have a lot of little tykes, not sure a park hopper is the best way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't take this the wrong way. Please. But if you have to decide whether to buy a park hopper or stay at a moderate, then it would seem the best thing to do is to skip the moderate and the park hopping and pocket the money.
    My DH is a divorce lawyer and so many times he needs a break from the awful things that he hears. We head over to WDW and stay a value. We could stay anywhere, but a value serves our purpose and Disney already gets alot of our money.
    So, I guess, it is to each his own.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

are you planning to do parks everyday? or are you planning to skip some days? We were going to go to parks every other day and then when we looked at ticket prices a 3 day parkhopper was more than a 5 day base. we decided to save the money and get the 5 day base and go to parks everyday, even if we don't stay in that days park all day we are saving money!
    TinkerBeth

Post Thanks / Like

Since we aren't PH people we would get the Resort upgrade. We have stayed at a couple values (POP and ASMovies) and not to long ago we stayed at 2 moderates (CS and POFQ) and we liked the Mods better, POFQ was our favorite. We are also people who don't Parks every single day too, we like to have a day or 2 that are lazy days where we don't have anything planned except to relax.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

the only reason we have ever added PH was for using the DDP. Many of the places we wanted to eat were at Epcot so we would do one park in the morning and then make our way to Epcot for Dinner.
    Disneyland: many, MANY times!
    WDW:POR POFQ BWV WLV ASMu POLY

Am I a huge disney fan? YOU BETCHA! I blame it all on my parents! They are the one's that walked around Disneyland all day to induce labor! Yep, I've been going to Disneyland since the day before I was born!

Post Thanks / Like

We have stopped using PH tickets. I prefer to use the $ for other things. In Dec we used it for nicer resort and DDP. This year for our Sept trip we will use savings to buy tickets to MNSSHP and for Universal Tickets to visit WWoHP for the first time. We can schedule our TS dining with our park we are visiting or we will eat TS at a Deluxe resort and return back to same park. We tend to close parks and follow evening EMH's or go to DTD during early nights when park closes.

I USED to find PH valuable when Fantasmic was shown nightly because we used to see it twice during our visit and would return to DHS on a second night. Now we just have to plan carefully because it is usually only shown once, MAYBE twice during our week visit.
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

Post Thanks / Like

good question..
    depends on how much time u will spend in parks & how much in resort
    last trip i didnt get hopper. which is something i almost always did before. just because it was gf first time there.
    id probly go w the hopper
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7