Quantcast Fast Pass of the Future - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post

This could be useful, especially if you can hold more than one at a time. Will eliminate a lot of the nonsensical "running around" to get to FP machines in the parks first thing when you arrive.
    I think this is a REALLY good point. As it is now, people have their own tactics to maneuver the park more quickly - if it works like this, then rather than having one person run to, oh, I donno, Pooh and the rest of the part meet at Splash, the whole FAMILY could go everywhere together. I think Disney knows that if they truly turn the access to rides into some obscene hierarchy without considering all guests in some way, they will lose business...

I think we need to be patient and see how it is executed before we go up in arms about it...
    Lauryn

7/14 - OKW
    8/13 - BC
    7/12 - WL
    8/11 - BLT
    5/10 - BC
    8/09 - off site
    12/31/08 at Epcot day trip
    3/08 - Pop Century
    8/04 - off site
    5/01 - Boardwalk Year 2000
    5/97 - off site 25h Anniversary of WDW

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll take you through my reactions to this at first:

- "Great, now all the halfway decent rides with long-ish lines are going to be the attraction equivalent of Le Cellier. Want to go on Soarin' next time you're on vacation? Better book it right before or after your seating at Restaurant Akershus 180 days in advance. And now the Tomorrowland Speedway will be more like renting a car than actually renting a car. Gee, how magical."

- "But wait... they can't be so short-sighted as to divvy up advance Fast Passes or show seating without getting the gate admission first—and forcing guests to go to a park for a certain time on a certain date sounds just a tad too jack-booted for the Happiest Place on Earth. Okay, so either this is more akin to making a reservation to make a reservation (like buying stock futures), or maybe it's a service that hotel guests get once they key into the park itself. Still not too crazy about this one, though."

- "Hmm... so if we get enough Disney regulars that are fed up with this system, if it's anything like the above, a vocal and mobile community could bring about its undoing pretty quickly. Have guests in on the sorta-protest request as much as humanly possible prior to their arrival, actually go through with the gate admission, and then just sit on the Fast Passes/reserved seats. This way, Disney sees a lot of their 'preferred guest' services going underutilized, which translates into money down the drain. They won't stand for that very long, will they? And then Disney will be for everybody once again!"

I say bring it on, Disney. If it works and is fair, more power to you. If it's as bad as some of us are fearing... we have ways of making you rethink this policy.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try to take the wait and see approach too but I don't like the sound of this so far for 2 reasons. 1. Our lives are becoming totally controlled by technology and it creeps me out to a certain extent, even though I do like technology
    2. I've had the most fun on trips that were not tied to a limiting schedule.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure it's a good thing to let people reserve attraction times before their trip. There's something about the fairness of it all. The current Fast Pass system seems pretty fair. You have to be in the park and you have to make choices. If you wait to get a Fast Pass or choose one ride over another, that's the chance you take. I'd hate to see that system impacted by a reserve in advance system. Maybe they have it worked out to be fair, so I think we'll have to learn more before rushing to final judgments on this. I am wary, though.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like the sounds of this at all and I hope disney re think the decision. It is taking the magic out of the parks. Remote fast pass? I don't think I like it!
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Eek... not liking this at all.
    I can just see it... my kids having a temper tantrum because they want to go on Buzz Lightyear but Mom & Dad having to say "No, we can't go on that until 4:00. Right now you MUST go on BTR since that's what we are reserved for."
    Doesn't sound helpful to me.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

DON'T LIKE THIS 1 BIT!!!!!!! Don't like having to pre-plan sooooo much and I am a very organized, busy-body, control freak type. And I too worry there will be a cost to reserve and if you don't do it, you will be SOL at the parks. No thank you! And Disney spent that much to come up with this system? Are you freakin' kiddin' me!!! Costs have gone up and we are getting less and less for our money....all so they could spend $$$ to create this system. And I absolutley DO NOT like all the tracking big brother stuff. NO WAY!!! Why are they doing it...who will get our info? Big mistake Disney!!!! You're gonna lose so many patrons.

DVC members since 2006....OKW, HH and BWV

Post Thanks / Like

The ultimate goal, he added, is "to welcome more and more people, while making their experience more satisfying, more personal and more immersive."

Well add more parks not gimicks to herd people through. Imagin if all the parks around the world was at WDW. It would be huge. Instead of diluting the product keep it together. IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME. Its like they are scared to add to it. The best thing that ever happened to Disney was the addition of the new parks. To chicken to finish the Monorail, PoP and many other little projects they mention.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like it. The current Fastpass system is what brings me back to Disney, and one of the things that sets Disney apart from other parks.
    Preplanning a vacation this much like this new way makes you could make me not return at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MongoMil View Post
    The best thing that ever happened to Disney was the addition of the new parks.
    Funny how different perspectives can be ... I think adding the last two new parks was the worst thing that ever happened to WDW.

It lead to infrastructure and HR costs to great to bear and thus all the cutbacks, reductions, and price increases you've seen in recent years.

And really ... neither DHS or AK are that great as to make it worth the sacrifice. I'd go back in time to the just MK/EPCOT Center days in a heartbeat. The World was a much better place back then.
    Ian şOş
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ş0ş

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Just my opinion... I think it's a terrible idea!!

I know it doesn't matter what I think...but seriously, how much planning can I put into a trip, down to the times we are riding Splash..

I don't mind planning the meals because we enjoy eating at the various spots around the world, but I can't micromanage every minute of the vacation.

Also, I always thought Disney was extremely fair in regards to fastpass, that it is available to everyone!! Not just those staying at the top shelf resorts. I don't go for that pay more and you get to the front of the line mentality, as I am just a regular ordinary middle class kind of girl.

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Reservations for showtimes, yes, perhaps.... but not for rides. There are too many variables to consider with ride reservations. What happens when a ride goes down? That throws the whole reservation schedule out the window.
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how fair this system will be to those who don't have access to computers/smart phones? Not everyone can use the internet. At least the current system you have to physically be there and everyone has the same chance at passes if they're willing to get up in the morning. Just my humble 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MongoMil View Post
    The ultimate goal, he added, is "to welcome more and more people, while making their experience more satisfying, more personal and more immersive."

Well add more parks not gimicks to herd people through. Imagin if all the parks around the world was at WDW. It would be huge. Instead of diluting the product keep it together. IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME. Its like they are scared to add to it. The best thing that ever happened to Disney was the addition of the new parks. To chicken to finish the Monorail, PoP and many other little projects they mention.
    So funny...my DH and I were talking about Disney's plan and DS-14 heard and his exact response was..."why don't they just build another park?".
    Who's running Disney? I'll have to google it, but whoever he/she is gets a thumbs down from me.
    DVC since 2006 at OKW, HHI, AKV and BWV
    Upcoming: Aug 1-8, 2015 at BWV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    The one thing that I am worried about is the troubling surveys that have been going around lately regarding removal of onsite resort perks for people using a discount to book the room. I did one of these surveys, and honestly, it really worries me what they are "thinking" of doing...
    yeah...that would be the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back" for us with Disney. if you get less service then its not really a discount anyway...you are simply paying a cheaper price for an inferior product. We have done three surveys over the last two years and never had that particular question pop up...wish it would have so I could have voiced my thoughts.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicman View Post
    True enough, but the sneetches with no stars on their bellies didn't think much at first when other sneetches appeared with stars on thars.

Please see Dr. Seuss for further clarification.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

There're a couple things about this that puzzle me, especially since it's been a very long time since I was last at Vegas.

How would the room check-in work regarding the room key? They wouldn't actually send you a room key, do they?!? If they did, how is it activated?

I really like the idea of picking your room from the list of available rooms. That's kinda cool. As is a possibility of an upgrade for X dollars.

I'm wondering, tho, if this advance choosing and checking in means that if you arrive at your resort at 2 pm in late January, or mid-September - times you might be able to get into your room, early - are you now not getting into your room until the normal check-in time, because it's all automatic?

Also,I'm okay with fewer fast passes for Value Resorts compared to Deluxe Resorts. Value Resorts have fewer restaurant options and generally fewer transportation options. The argument might be made that is a resort thing and the fast passes are park things, but it's all Walt Disney World Resort - parks and lodging.

We like to avoid early EMH so I always know which park I'm going into on any particular morning of our stay. No big deal. If we could have fast passes in hand before we entered the park, that'd be great. Let's face it, the first 3 things we always do at DHS are TSM, ToT and RnRC.

And I'm kinda wondering how that works too. Will guests get the equivalent of KTTW card that has fast passes entered in to it?

So if Disney is doing all this big brother kind of stuff, does this mean we might be able to skip the ever popular bag (aka security) check at the turnstiles? After all, they already know everything about us.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't be cool to be sitting down for lunch, pull out your web-based phone and reserve FP's for your next ride? Maybe Disney could rent out palm pads with the "Verizon type" app, and look at wait times and grab a FP instantly. Just an idea.
    I won the "Name the crocodile" contest.
    Anyone want a slightly used Pygmy war canoe?

1984 WDW-first trip
    1998 DLR
    July 2003 CBR
    Nov 2004 POP Century
    2005 DLR- Paradise Pier
    2009/2010 DLR- Halloween Party
    April 2011 - BW Park Place
    October 25, 2011 Halloween Party
    Sept 17-27 POR-RGR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Janmac View Post
    Also,I'm okay with fewer fast passes for Value Resorts compared to Deluxe Resorts. Value Resorts have fewer restaurant options and generally fewer transportation options. The argument might be made that is a resort thing and the fast passes are park things, but it's all Walt Disney World Resort - parks and lodging.
    If it was all one thing, as you state, there would be one price for each level of resort - including room and park tickets. Instead, there are separate prices for rooms and park tickets, and park ticket prices do not change just because of the resort you book.

Paying less for the room, I expect fewer amenities that there would be in more pricey resorts; paying the same price for park tickets, I would expect, and demand, the same options, bonuses, etc. upon use.

Why don't they remove the FastPass machines altogether and just hand everyone entering that park one of the "Dream FastPass" lanyards that they had for "The Year of a Million Dreams?" THEN, everyone would be treated alike and fairly.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Everything is a revenue stream to Disney.

Picking your room (for a charge) is a nice easy way to get people to impulse into spending more. By highlighting available rooms that might have a better view, or closer to the bus stop is a neat way of influencing that. If you see a big old YOU ARE HERE on the screen 7 buildings away from the bus stop, but a nice little yellow marker with the Fairy Godmother showing you rooms available for only $100 more that are right next to the bus stop, I would bet that people will pay it.

The resorts ARE tiered. While behind the scenes, many will argue they are exactly the same. As a guest, I don't get the same feeling waiting for a bus for the Grand as I do waiting for a bus back to Pop. Worth paying for? Yep, for me it is, although I don't like the Grand. Given the choice, I would pick deluxe over mods over values every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

While I 100% that it would make most people mad (me included) I do think the reality is that people WILL continue to go, and even if just a small percentage of people take advantage of it, it's money they wouldn't have had otherwise. The trick for Disney is going to be pricing it right to maximize the profits, and I think they have a handle on that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    Paying less for the room, I expect fewer amenities that there would be in more pricey resorts; paying the same price for park tickets, I would expect, and demand, the same options, bonuses, etc. upon use.
    Simply tie the FastPasses to your room key and this argument goes out the window. Your park tickets would probably continue to work as is, but your room card works like those volunteering fast passes they gave out. That was probably a test case for the tiered fastpass system quite frankly. Disney just adjusts down the general public fast pass distribution rate to account for these anytime fast passes and nobody is any the wiser.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: