Quantcast POR or Pop? Which to pick?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default POR or Pop? Which to pick?

We have stayed at Pop Century our last few trips and love it. Trying to decide where to stay on our upcoming trip. Get 2 rooms at Pop Century or 1 room at Port Orleans Riverside Alligator Bayou? What are the pros and cons of Alligator Bayou? We will be there for 10 days and don't want to be disappointed with our choice.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We've always stayed at AB..been 5 times and there is 5 of us...we really like it there...seems more secluded..but I would suggest you get a room near the main building...closer to food and bus stop...some rooms can be quite far away...never been to one of the values so I can't really compare but I would think it would have more of a hotel feel with the crowds and I'm assuming noise...like I said I think you feel more removed at AB. But hey... you're at Disney either way!

Post Thanks / Like

We have been to both, I'd have to say POR. We enjoy the quiet after the parks and to big pool is great but also many smaller pools. The bus service is much better, food court, lay out and the boat ride to Downtown Disney can't be beat

Post Thanks / Like

We've also stayed at both and there is no comparison.POR is so much nicer.With that being said,we stayed at ASMu in Jan. for 4 nights and decided that no more Values for us.We just as soon save our money up and do a Mod or a Deluxe.
    Poly10/75
    FWCabins3/93Poly11/01
    CBR4/05PORand BC2/06Pop11/06
    MarriottGrandeVista5/07
    CBR9/07
    Pop1/08
    POFQ5/08
    CS 9/08
    POFQ 5/09
    CBR9/09
    HRH11/09
    POFQ/POLY5/10
    WL12/10
    Allstar Music1/11
    POFQ 5/11
    OKW 3/31/12
    SSR 9/13
    CBR 9/14
    POR9/16
    CB Univ

Avatar in remembrance of my Dear Old Dad "Big Al"

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I am not of the norm...I have stayed at all categories of Disney resorts and we just love Pop. All of the Pop fans out there know that there is something about that place. My husband and I also love Poly...we will no longer stay in between as we feel it is not worth the money. So for is if we can't stay Poly we stay Pop.

I think it is good to think about what you like out of a Disney resort. Do you like the liveliness of Pop and or would you rather opt for a tranquil vacation? We found that when we stayed at Coronado, while it is truly a beautiful resort...it felt too much like a honeymoon resort and less like Disney for us(and know that some people will appreciate that out of Coronado and that is okay). Just know what you want and that should help guide you.
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

Post Thanks / Like

POR feels like a resort rather than a hotel - the paths are winding, and the landscaping is tall enough that it can feel quite private. You also have the boat to POFQ and DTD, Food Court and TS restaurant, Bob the Piano Man, access to two themed pools, and a fishing hole! We love POR-AB.
    Kate

First visit: 1974 (off property)
    In between: 6 visits (off property), then:
    POR 2002
    CS - 2003
    AKL - 2005
    POR March 2006
    POR August 2006
    Upcoming: August 2010

Post Thanks / Like

I assume there are 5 in your party is why a choice is POR, however, you didn't say ages in your party. I've never stayed at Pop and I'm know the rooms are smaller, but you are going from two rooms and two bathrooms to one. We only had 4 in a room at POR and for a shorter time, but it felt crowded with all the luggage since Disney rooms are smaller than most chain hotel rooms. Just so something to consider size-wise.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

Default POR for sure

We're off to POR Friday! Can't wait!

We stayed at POP a few years ago - didn't impress us. On the other hand, we've stayed at POR tons of times and love it each and every time! Prefer AB too. Love the pool, dining, rooms, boat rentals, fishing and shopping. Highly recommend.
    Proud Disney Passholder, after all, it's all about the Mouse!

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at POR last year and at pop the year before. Our experience was so much better at POR. Even the beds were more comfortable. We loved the quiteness of it after coming back from a day at the parks. The pool has a slide, pop doesnt, they also have a hot tub. We loved the beautiful river and landscaping. Also the bus stops are better (covered and benches). It doesnt compare to us. The thing is that we were origionally booked to try CBR and I was so excited about that, then we had another family to go with us who had 5 and we HAD to switch to POR. I wasnt thrilled about it and didnt think I would like it. Now when we go back im considering going there again instead of trying cbr because we loved it so much.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another vote for Riverside! We've stayed several times and are going again this June. We absolutely love it! Some of the things we enjoy the most are the boat ride to DTD, Piano Man Bob (definitely should spend an evening with him) scenary, pools, and the overall peaceful feeling of the resort
    1993-Off-site
    1995/1996-Caribbean Beach
    1997-Dixie Landing
    1998-Caribbean Beach
    1999-Coronado Springs
    2000-Grosvenor
    2001-Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2003-Caribbean Beach
    2005-POP/Coronado Springs
    2006/2007-POP
    2008/2009-Riverside
    2010 - Beach Club
    2011 - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belster View Post
    I guess I am not of the norm...I have stayed at all categories of Disney resorts and we just love Pop. All of the Pop fans out there know that there is something about that place. My husband and I also love Poly...we will no longer stay in between as we feel it is not worth the money. So for is if we can't stay Poly we stay Pop.
    Hi - have we met? Because I think we are definitely related!! I feel the EXACT same way! I love the Poly, but I prefer multiple trips per year staying at Pop vs one stay at the Poly's rates! There is just something about Pop that we love - it wouldn't be a trip without staying there

ETA: Check the rates & determine what is best for you - when we were going to take my mom (making us a party of five) it was only $10 MORE to have TWO rooms at Pop - meaning she could have her own room & swap out kids with her. That made it much more appealing to us than POR.
    Last edited by AXOAlum; 04-04-2011 at 07:54 PM. Reason: I'm a doofus :)
    1st WDW trip - 1973 at 5 weeks old!

Disney addict since 1973!

Post Thanks / Like

I love POR, but have only stayed with 4 in a room. How big are your people? If you have small children you may find the room a little less crowded (or more, if they have tons of stuff! LOL) YES the rooms are fairly small and you sacrifice the extra bathroom, but I spend lots of time at me RESORT and not a whole ton in my ROOM so the nice pools, food court, gift shop, lounge, boat ride to DTD etc. make POR an easy choice for me.

Post Thanks / Like

AB is lovely and there are lots of perks to the resort.

However, with that long of a stay I'd be tempted to stay where there was more space (and bathroom space.)
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: