Quantcast Merrie May Travels - Part 10

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Merrie May Travels - Part 10

Who: Gene & Me

Plan for the Day:
    Magic Kingdom
    Main Street Bakers for breakfast
    Jiko for dinner

After soaking in the tub for a bit last evening, it was off to bed. I’m not a big bath person but since the jetted tub is there and I’m on vacation, it’s fun to indulge once in a while.

Once in bed, I read for a bit but shut the Nook down around 11 even though the Dean Koontz novel I was reading had entered its final, most exciting stage.

I did not hold out much hope for the wake-up call to actually work but at 6:30 the phone rang. Because I was expecting a recording, I didn’t say anything but only put the phone on speaker. Then I heard a man say “hello” so I responded and he said “This is your wake-up call”. I thanked him and disconnected. I told Gene I was expecting to hear Stitch and Mickey so was a little taken aback when it was a real person. Two minutes later, the phone rang again. This time I picked up the receiver and said “hello” only to hear the recording I had originally expected. I guess after our complaints they wanted to be doubly sure we actually got a wake-up call. We were half expecting there to be a third call to make up for the other missed wake-up call!

Breakfast consisted of the goodies we had purchased last evening at the Patisserie in France. We could have left earlier but I was in the last 20 pages or so of my book and really wanted to see if the family would survive the spirits that had invaded their house in “What the Night Knows”. I didn’t quite make it to the end of the book but read enough to satisfy my curiosity about what happened next.

We did not wait long for a Magic Kingdom bus. I was able to get a seat but Gene was somewhere in the back of the bus and I’m sure he stood for the duration of the trip. Security and park entry were a breeze. I’m hoping many folks opt not to visit this park today as it will be closing at 7 tonight for another grad night – the very last one ever, I believe.

After a couple of photopass stops, we make our way to Peter Pan. It’s a five minute standby so we ride. When we exit, it’s a 10 minute standby so we ride a second time. We grab fast passes for Winnie the Pooh (The fast pass distribution center is no where near the Winnie ride – it’s over where the Philharmagic fast passes used to be distributed). It’s a Small World is having technical difficulties and is closed. We pass by and head to the Haunted Mansion. This is the first time we’ve seen the new additions to the queue. Pretty cool!

There aren’t many folks there so we are able to wander through at our leisure and take as many pictures as we’d like. I’m glad they preserved the classic gravestones and Leota is still in her spot by the door. We enter the ride and I can’t wait to see the new hitchhiking ghost enhancements. We are not disappointed. Our ghost takes our heads and switches them – putting Gene’s head on my body and mine on Gene’s. Pretty cool stuff!

We head to Splash Mountain with the intention of grabbing a fast pass but it’s literally a walk on so we ride. We fortunately are only damp upon exit (I’m not a big fan of wet rides but do need to do this one from time to time as the rest of it is so good!). Big Thunder Mountain has a non-existent line as well so we ride that one too. When we get to the top of the first big hill, we grind to a halt. That’s never happened before! We only sit for a few minutes and we’re off again! This time, there are no more unexpected stops before we finish the ride.

Before heading off to Winnie, we go to the Hall of Presidents which is as stirring as always. I had expected that the Liberty Square Riverboat would now be down for refurb but it appears to be operating as usual.

After our Winnie the Pooh ride, we walk over to Space Mountain and pick up fast passes there. It’s lunch time so it’s off to Cosmic Ray’s for us. I have chicken and Gene heads off to the burger station to get a cheeseburger. Sonny Eclipse is performing when we arrive but he quickly goes to sleep and does not resume before we leave.

In quick succession, we enter Mickey’s PhilharMagic, Snow White’s Scary Adventures (This, surprisingly, has a 15 minute wait time), and the Carrousel (I still can’t think of it as belonging to Prince Charming) though this has a 2 cycle wait time with the line heading off to the left and then turning back to the usual loading area. Gene selects a horse behind mine. A man places a little girl on the horse besides mine and then begins to take pictures of her. He backs up a bit and then a bit more. I’m watching him and thinking he will surely turn around to see how much more space he has before he falls off the edge of the platform. He does not and steps back yet again. I shout “Watch Out” (but I don’t think he understood me.) Fortunately, he catches himself as he goes over edge and does not take what could have been a terrible tumble (There’s not much space between the rotating platform and the rock wall and I could certainly see someone falling back and striking that hard surface). When I told Gene about this later, he was totally unaware of what I was witnessing and, because he was behind me did not hear my shout!

While on the Carousel, I see that Small World is now open. We head there next and get on the line that is out on the plaza. Oops! They’ve closed it down again. It’s a bit puzzling as it does not appear they are ejecting all the folks who are already on line inside. In any case, I do not wish to get stuck inside somewhere. My son-in-law is always telling me the story of his older sister who got stuck for quite some time on this ride and, as a result, can no longer endure the song! From the way he tells the story, it’s a wonder she did not sue Disney for emotional distress!

The Speedway shows a 20 minute wait. Okay, we’ll do it. I know it’s a fairly dumb ride but there’s something that’s still charming and enjoyable about it. I don’t know why I go on this but, for some reason, still do like it (and I’m not even an avid car person)!

Off to the People Mover! Now, it’s time for our Space Mountain fast pass but, first, we grab fast passes to Buzz Lightyear. The stand by line is quite long but the fast pass makes our wait no more than 5-10 minutes. I find this ride quite rough so I have no idea why I continue to do this one either. There are several spots where it feels like we bottom out without any cushioning whatsoever! Oomph!! Oomph!! Oomph!! The California version is so smooth compared to this!

We head to Carousel of Progress. During the first scene, a man in our section gets up and walks out the door in the back. To whomever that was, I would like to say I am not at all happy with you! Due to your rather rude actions all the rest of us in the theater got to sit through the same diorama a second time! If you didn’t want to ride it, don’t get on and if you do get on and are told to remain seated, do so and suffer through it even if you don’t’ care for it! Thankfully, everyone else remained seated and we made it through the remaining scenes without interruption.

Off to Buzz Lightyear. When I was here in February (sans Gene), I had some excellent scores – over 100,000. Of course, with Gene present, that did not happen today! Where was that excellent spot I hit more than once on that trip?! Oh well! (When I looked at the photo they snapped, I can see the frustration on my face at not having repeated my earlier success! Too bad I didn’t get the picture as it was pretty funny!)

Gene suggested we do Stitch. Well, okay. Not a favorite but I don’t hate it either. Guess I’m just indifferent to it. Our last attraction of this day is Monsters Inc. Cute, as always though it’s starting to feel like it could use a few new elements.

As we head out of the park, we stop for a couple more photopass opportunities. We wander through the shops. At the Bakery, we select a couple of items to take home with us for tomorrow morning’s breakfast. When I run into the rest room, Gene heads into City Hall and selects “Happily Ever After” buttons for us. How sweet.

We only wait at the bus stop for a few minutes when our bus arrives. Back home, we pick up items we had shipped back to the resort over the last few days and then stop into Victoria Falls for a drink.

When our drink is finished, we return to our room where we change for dinner and I take some time to write these notes. Gene turns on the Kentucky Derby. One of horses is named “Animal Kingdom”. I think to myself that I’d bet on that horse “just because”. Surprisingly, Animal Kingdom won!

It’s now 7 p.m. and it’s almost time to head off to dinner which is at Jiko tonight so we only need to head downstairs. More to come……
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Linda, I'm totally with you. Space Mtn. in Cali is soooo smooth. Like flying!!! I love it there, but never ride it in WDW anymore, its way to rough and jerky for us. I feel like my teeth are getting rattled in WDW.
    And..I didn't know that about Carousel...if someone walks out, the scene replays??? I don't get it? Why is that?
    Hope you enjoyed Jiko. we sure did, but actually enjoy Sanaa better.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you had much better crowds today. And you finally got your wake-up call from Mickey - yay! You are really taking advantage of Photopass - I bet you had a blast looking at all those pictures when you got home!
    May '06 - offsite
    Dec. '07 - Poly
    Feb. '09 - WL
    Oct. '09 - CBR
    May '10 - POFQ/AKL
    Oct. '10 - BWI
    Jan./Feb. '11 - All Star Music
    March '12 - Poly
    Dec. '12 - Pop Century
    April '13 - Disneyland!
    Nov '13 - 1st Disney Cruise!
    June '14 - All Star Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good day with not a lot of waits for rides!!
    TRACEY
    ºOº

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

It seems like it was a great day in the Magic Kingdom, especially regarding the crowds. Thanks for taking us along!
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

Another great report- I too like the speedway cars here and anywhere else that might have them. Not sure why I like them either- probably from childhood memories.

Post Thanks / Like

Linda,

I thought it was just me feeling that way about Space Mountain...glad you mentioned that element in your report. My husband Fred won't even go on at 6'5", he is crammed in there anyway, and it's just too much for him all that shaking and banging around.

A great Magic Kingdom Day!!! You guys did a lot of attractions!

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mouseketeer mom View Post
    Linda, I'm totally with you. Space Mtn. in Cali is soooo smooth. Like flying!!! I love it there, but never ride it in WDW anymore, its way to rough and jerky for us. I feel like my teeth are getting rattled in WDW.
    And..I didn't know that about Carousel...if someone walks out, the scene replays??? I don't get it? Why is that?
    Hope you enjoyed Jiko. we sure did, but actually enjoy Sanaa better.
    ohhhhhh mama! haha so true. Sanaa's more exotic. and DL SM is less painful
    Poly GVC 11/04
    BC 09/05
    WL/Disney Wonder 5/06
    Poly LVC 09/06
    AKL club/WLvillas Jan/Feb 07
    CR/&Poly LVC 11/07
    Poly/LVC 08/08
    Poly LVC 03/ 09
    HHI 7/09
    Poly LVC Aug 09
    Poly Club 4/10
    Poly 8/10
    DL Hotel 8/10
    Poly 9/10
    CR/Poly Easter '11
    Vero/Poly 7/11
    DL 8/11
    10/11 MNSSHP
    FUTURE CP

Post Thanks / Like

what a great day you had at the MK..
    and woohoo for the wake up call working..
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

Now this is more like it - a park you can walk around freely in and enjoy yourselves!

During the first scene, a man in our section gets up and walks out the door in the back.
    I hear you on this one - I don't know how hard it is to understand that you can't just up & leave this attraction once it starts! We get at least one every trip.

WHAT? You blew your chance to impress Gene on Buzz? I'm bummed - I thought you were going to show him up this trip!

So far, it's been a really nice day. You were able to hit many attractions, and didn't feel like a sardine while doing it. I hope that dinner is as enjoyable as this day has been!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

Wow...it sounds like MK had light crowds with you being able to do all that in one day....thanks for the report

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the Report!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Linda, the planets were aligned for you and Gene today for sure! Awesome wait times, good busses and even a Wake up call!!! Fabulous!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you had a really nice day.

Post Thanks / Like

awesome day
    Brian

December 9 -December 18, 2015 POR
    Sept 24 - Oct 4, 2009, POFQ
    September, 2008 - CBR
    April, 1988-offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not that big of a fan of space mountain either. Ever since my kids were tall enough to ride it I've yet to have a pleasant ride on it. Its so jerky that I spend the entire ride worried they'll get jerked out of their seats.

I wouldn't have been happy about the guy leaving COP either. My entire family loves this attraction, but I wouldn't want to sit through any of the scenes twice.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Loved following along on your MK day. Always fun. Interesting to see the wait times were so short. Maybe a lot of people avoided the park because of grad night?

We had breakfast at the MK bakery once -- apple pie, I believe.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darthmacho View Post
    Loved following along on your MK day. Always fun. Interesting to see the wait times were so short. Maybe a lot of people avoided the park because of grad night?
    That was our thought too.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for reporting.
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: