Quantcast something really grinding my gears - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I live by this golden rule:

YOUR HEALTH IS YOUR WEALTH!!! Therefore, I try to be more tolerant of people with loading and unloading their ECV on the buses. It's NONE of our business the reasons they are using them. Obviously, there is a reason for each and every person.

I can also say, that while in WDW in 2009 I got a bad case of Pneumonia, and was having trouble breathing, after my fever broke, I wanted to be out enjoying stuff with my family, and my husband rented me a wheelchair for one day. I felt horrible having to be pushed around. It was a very humbling experience. It was necessary that day, as I did not have the strength to tackle Animal Kingdom.
    Yes, it can be annoying the longer waits, but think I am so blessed to be able to get around and enjoy this all on my own two feet.
    Just my two cents...
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

To the OP.... That person was just plain selfish and rude. It has nothing to do with a physical handicap.

I am an ECV user and once able bodied person. I can walk short distances and only stand for about 5 minutes without pain.

My daughter sometimes sits on my scooter while I stretch. It is also hard on my back sitting all day long. I don't look disabled.

I have had to wait longer at times for a bus. We were at Blizzard Beach during spring break. The bus came from Animal Kingdom and was too full to take my scooter. My friend took her DD and mine back to the room while I had to wait 45 minutes for another bus back to POFQ. Everyone that came before that time was too full and they would not load me.

Sorry you ran into some one that was an itch with a B in front We ALL are NOT like that woman.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I would just like to add that I believe you ran into an exception as I have never encountered anything like this before in my many many trips.

I would like to add to those that commented that you can not pass judgment on those in scooters/wheelchairs. You have no idea why they are in them. I just booked my scooter for our upcoming trip this June. If you saw me, I look like a perfectly healthy 31 year old, but by doctor's orders I have to have a scooter in the parks due to a recent diagnosis. I have what I've heard called an invisible disease. I look normal to everyone, but I am really affected by pain in muscles and joints and extreme fatigue at times.

Last year, I had to be pushed in a wheelchair for 2 days after a trip to the ER. It was very difficult depending on others to get around and not being able to just get up and go. While I won't have to depend on others to push me this year, I am still apprehensive because I know people will look at me and think I am just taking advantage of the handicap-accessibile things provided in the park.

I am able to walk for longer than 5-10 minutes at a time, unlike others that have posted, but standing in line and the walking in the parks day after day is something my body is not able to handle. I can honestly say you will probably see me walking around a little if I am having a "good day" with my invisible disesase and you could see me later in the trip on a scooter. Even in these cases, people are not trying to cheat the system. In my case I am just trying to enjoy time moving around like I am used to doing.

I guess my point is just to add that no matter what you see, you never know the circumstances or the pain a person is in.
    1993-Off-site
    1995/1996-Caribbean Beach
    1997-Dixie Landing
    1998-Caribbean Beach
    1999-Coronado Springs
    2000-Grosvenor
    2001-Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2003-Caribbean Beach
    2005-POP/Coronado Springs
    2006/2007-POP
    2008/2009-Riverside
    2010 - Beach Club
    2011 - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

I realize how disappointing it can be to witness rude behavior or something you feel is unfair on a trip to WDW. As a family, we make a point of being grateful for everything we have and can do. If someone in my family started to grumble about having to wait longer because someone with a scooter gets to board first, I wouldn't allow it. We are so fortunate to not need that assistance, and the reality is that any day that could change for any of us. Don't ever think that it couldn't happen to you at some point. So we have to wait a little longer for the bus, so what? We even have fun in line when we're in Disney World! The CMs work hard and do their best to accomodate everyone, and usually do a stellar job of it.

Same goes for someone's rude behavior. I'm just grateful that my family knows better than to behave that way! Our approach is to simply pity someone for their poor behavior and get on with having fun.

A WDW trip is too valuable to let the little things bug you!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the issue is of persons using wheelchairs or ECVs. The issue is persons, disabled or able bodied, just being rude. I feel bad for the bus driver as when was pulling in to the stop he just either missed or didn't register that he had a wc/ecv to load. I would hope that he tried to help. Next why didn't ANYONE standing in line say anything to the driver that someone needed assistance. If I had been there I would have brought the wc/ecv up to the driver's attention.
    Now the other bus. If I read the comment correctly this coach bus did not belong to disney. If the bus was built prior the the ADA act it would not have been required to be compliant with ADA. I work at a railroad museum and with our fleet of historic rail cars we cannot, without historic and strucural modifications, be ADA compliant. While we do try to be accomidating we cannot always. No business would turn away customers.

Sometimes we all need to step back, take a deep breath and say "I'm on vacation".
    1989 - Poly
    1990 - Fort Wilderness
    1991 - Port Orleans
    1996 - Dixie Landings
    2000 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2002 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2011 - Port Orleans French Quarter

C - completely
    U - useless
    B - by
    S - September

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure why Disney just doesn't run special buses for those needing assistance. From what I've seen there isn't a shortage of those needing special assistance, and it would surely alleviate many of the problems we constantly read about.

They wouldn't need a lot, and they can certainly clunp them together differently, and with the ion-demand system, I would imagine they could optimize it pretty well. And they don't need big busses either probalby, shorter versions of the coach ones, or even the van type ones senior centers use, etc.

There, no more complaints... And no charge or credit necessary for my suggestion... Disney, we come to you with problems AND solutions, what more can you ask for!

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen this kind of thing more than once... last trip we noticed a family "taking turns" using an ECV. Saw them a number of times throughout the day. When at the buses, one of them appeared to be disabled... at the park, they just shared it.
    "Hey look... its the Incredibles parade!"

Post Thanks / Like

Just to add... DizneyRox hits the nail on the head. Exactly what I was thinking is needed.
    "Hey look... its the Incredibles parade!"

Post Thanks / Like

I do feel for people who need chairs or EVCs, I do. But, I do not remember seeing the multitudes using these back when we first started going to WDW regurlary in 2001. We then rented a car since 2003 because my husband likes to drive and we didn't use Dis transportation maybe except for the monorail. In Dec 2009, we went and did not rent a car for the first time since 2003. We had very lengthy waits for transportation and I don't remember being in one line where there WASN'T at least 2-3 EVCs. EVCs mind you, not even chairs. I think I saw one child in a wheelchair on the bus the entire stay and it was a small lightweight chair. Her parents quickly loaded her on and locked her wheels in. Took a minute or less if even for them. For the EVCs though: the loading time, the space taken, the tempers flaring (not us but other waiting). People were making loud comments or compalining about the EVCs. I agree I do think it's only an issue because of Disney. I do like DisneyRox's idea of the special transportation. Not to segregate of course just to make for a smoother experience for all. That being said, we still rent a car and will contine to do so.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

I can see your frustration, but like anything else, if people can abuse it, they will. I am not saying everyone abuses it, but there are always one or two out there. Majority of the time, the people who need them aren't the ones complaining or throwing a fit.

I can see why both people would have been mad in both cases BUT where was there family or people they were traveling with to alert the Bus Driver?

Second, did the person in scenario 2 know there was a bus that was accessible behind the coach bus? Also what if the Bus driver was hurt lifting the scooter?

ECV, wheelchairs, or not the Disney Resort Bus can bring out the "best" in everyone. I cant tell you how many times I gave up my seat for a pregnant woman, woman with child/children, or elderly couple because people "pretend" they dont see them.
    Love my Pittsburgh Penguins and Penn State Nittany Lions !!!!

October 08 - Honeymoon CBR
    Wilderness Lodge- October 2010

CBR - Oct 2012
    Beach Club - Sept 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Not sure why Disney just doesn't run special buses for those needing assistance. From what I've seen there isn't a shortage of those needing special assistance, and it would surely alleviate many of the problems we constantly read about.

They wouldn't need a lot, and they can certainly clunp them together differently, and with the ion-demand system, I would imagine they could optimize it pretty well. And they don't need big busses either probalby, shorter versions of the coach ones, or even the van type ones senior centers use, etc.

There, no more complaints... And no charge or credit necessary for my suggestion... Disney, we come to you with problems AND solutions, what more can you ask for!
    I imagine that your comment to "clump them together" was not meant to be mean or discriminating.
    Why stop there, the people that have bratty children, the people that are fat, skinny, blonde could also be clumped together and made to use one bus.

I hope this subject gets closed soon, before it gets out of hand.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Daisy's Mom, I think by "clumping together" the original poster meant clumping the buses together not the people.
    Melissa

Disneyland - too many times to count
    Poly 2007
    3 day Cruise Wonder 2007
    4 day Cruise Wonder 2000-2001 (New Years Cruise) Honeymoon
    Beach Club 2000 Honeymoon
    Poly 98
    3 day Cruise Magic 98
    Tokyo Disneyland 1994

Post Thanks / Like

Last summer during our trip, we were in the area where Splash Mt lets off. Right in the little court yard near the penny press machines and the play area. I was sitting on a bench waiting for my family who were in the bathrooms. As I sat there 2 men in there 40's pulled up on elec. scooters, hoppped off, lit up a smoke and discussed how great an idea it was to rent the scooters for the week. No walking, family right to the front of the line on every ride, when someone was tired it was their turn to ride and FAKE the need for the scooter. I know this is the exception, but it is being done. I had to get up and walk away to keep from saying something to them and I'm too much of a gentlemen to post my real thoughts on here.
    Planned for 2015, SSR in June, BWV in July
    14 AKL & BCV
    13 WLV & BCV & SSR
    12 AKV, BCV, POFQ
    11 Akv, BCV, SSR
    10 AKV, BCV, WLV
    09 AKV, BCV,POFQ
    08 BWV, WL & BC
    07 OKW
    06 SSR, OKW, BC, PR & DVC
    05 AKL, CBR, WL & HARDROCK
    04 CS & DISNEYLAND
    98 CS
    77, 87, 94 OFF SITE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LovinWDW View Post
    As I sat there 2 men in there 40's pulled up on elec. scooters, hoppped off, lit up a smoke and discussed how great an idea it was to rent the scooters for the week. No walking, family right to the front of the line on every ride, when someone was tired it was their turn to ride and FAKE the need for the scooter. I know this is the exception, but it is being done. I had to get up and walk away to keep from saying something to them and I'm too much of a gentlemen to post my real thoughts on here.
    See, this seems like faulty logic. I think I would get frustrated by being on a scooter. You can't move as quickly and you must be vigilant about who is around you. That doesn't sound too fun to me.

I once saw a set of four teens on two scooters. They each had half of a butt cheek on the seat. I would think if all four of them needed one, there would be four scooters--for safety purposes. That is the only time I ever thought that someone on a scooter was suspect and that is in 15+ trips to WDW.

I have never had a problem with EVCs, it's the stroller brigade who intentionally bully you with their strollers that raise my ire.
    Jen

Next trip: Beach Club Villas; August 2011.

Post Thanks / Like

as i see this is a touchy subject and people are twisting and turning the real reason why i posted into a bashing of what i did not say.. i said the situation which occured was the problem. i believe i stated i have no problem with the handicap none at all its the people who take advantage of it. i do not mind giving seats up to little kids handicapped. its just if ur using it for the wrong reasons thats where my problem lies. i believe it should have to be medically cleared to be able to purchSe and use the scooters. just my opionion. so once agian i state i have NO problem with handicap people its the people who take advantage of the situation!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MCeee View Post
    I've seen this kind of thing more than once... last trip we noticed a family "taking turns" using an ECV. Saw them a number of times throughout the day. When at the buses, one of them appeared to be disabled... at the park, they just shared it.
    However, maybe they did need it? i'm assuming you weren't follwoing them all day right? so you saw them a few times. Maybe the mom and dad needed it just for a partial handicap and instead of using 2, just rented one...maybe they wanted to stretch their legs so a kid was riding it at some point...but 1st of all, who are you to judge if they needed it or the reason they had it? 2nd of all, why let it bother you? why let it ruin your vacation? there are so many other things to worry about in this world than that.

as for Disneyroz's idea, ideally, it sounds good, but not pratcitcal at all. how many busses/vans were you suggesting Disney use? it woulnd't be practical to have one for each resort. one bus to make one loop would take way too long. and by the way, it is a little insulting and it is seperatiing handicapped people from the "normal" people.

bottom line, is this really that big of a problem?
    If you think it is, i can tell you as a person that uses an EVC you are in a very very very small minority. very rarely has anyone been anythng but nice to me. most go out of the way to help. the kindness comes out of most people at DIsney. i've been in line waiting like "normal" people for a bus, and had strangers in line push me to the front many times.

ihaven't used an evc forever, just a few years ago, i didn't need one. not one time did i have a problem w/ people who used them. I went out of my way to help out, open doors, let them go first.

Maybe instead of letting it get to you, if you'd open the door or help out someone who handicapped, you'd get more joy out of your vacation.
    Just sayin'.
    Last edited by Melanie; 05-25-2011 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Edited for language
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, "clumping" was meant the resorts. No need to have a dedicated Wildeness Lodge ADA bus. They could probably do one bus stop for those needing special assistance, and pick people up in order and stop them off as efficiently as possible. That bus might stop at WL, then Epcot, then Boardwalk, and finally DTD.

Disney monitors the bus stops at resorts, they know when there are people waiting, and if they will need assistance. They can route the ADA busses as needed.

Post Thanks / Like

ransam reading your post i see a very biased outlook and a defensive response. people are entitled to there opinions on situation like wise your entitled. however it makes it tough for anyone to respond against the handicap becuase of your responses. its like your taking there side amd being irrational. once again the threads about this lady and what could disney do tonchange it. if anything so no mpre bickering goes on moderators could close the thread if they please.

Post Thanks / Like

Either way, this thread has run its course...
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David șoș

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: