Quantcast Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

Since it was before my time, I never got to experience Mr. Toad's Wild Ride at WDW. I've read that it gained a lot of fans. I know it's at DLR, but I haven't been there yet. I recently found a website called virtual-toad. It is a 3-D online version of what it looked like at WDW. I looked through it a little, and also read online that there are still hints of Mr. Toad throughout WDW. I never read why it closed though. Can someone help me?
    2002 ASMo
    2004 Pop
    2005 Pop
    2006 Pop
    2008 Pop
    2010 Pop
    2011 Pop
    2013 Off Property

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It was killed by a bear.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    It was killed by a bear.
    Oh Pooh!!!
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know why they changed it, but with respect to the Toad fans, after seeing both, I prefer Pooh.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

If you look closely to your left as you go into Owl's house, you will see a picture of Mr. Toad handing a deed over to Owl lol. I thought that was kinda cool!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Mr. Toad = very creative, fun, inventive, unique attraction built around a character no one knew with absolutely zero merchandising potential.

Pooh = A rather dull, uninspired, poorly maintained attraction built around one of Disney's most profitable franchises and a merchandising machine.

'Nuff said.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, I see. All about the money. I wish I got to experience Mr. Toad's Wild Ride while it was still at WDW. It looks very interesting.
    2002 ASMo
    2004 Pop
    2005 Pop
    2006 Pop
    2008 Pop
    2010 Pop
    2011 Pop
    2013 Off Property

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get me wrong; I was disappointed when they replaced Toad, but the myth exceeds reality. It was a fun attraction, but as I recall, it never had the Peter Pan wait times...or even the morning Small World wait times...It was clever, a fun ride vehicle, but nobody remembered the tune. Bet you that more of us remember the tunes from Country Bears, and even CoP than the tune from Toad...I don't even remember if it had background music! As with many events of the past, hundreds went, and millions remember being there!
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDisneyDad View Post
    If you look closely to your left as you go into Owl's house, you will see a picture of Mr. Toad handing a deed over to Owl lol. I thought that was kinda cool!
    And if you look at the pet cemetary outside of the Haunted Mansion, you will see Mr. Toad's gravestone.

I think he's officially CROAKED!
    Sometimes, when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things,you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

Post Thanks / Like

We never got to see Mr. Toad's Wild Ride at WDW as it closed the day before we arrived for our first trip to WDW
    Soarin' to Tower

Next Trips: 2017 The other half has allowed me back!
    Offsite 1998, 2004, 2015 (Universal)
    AKL 2001, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2013
    Beach Club 2008
    Yacht Club 2010, 2011, 2012
    DLR California 2004, 2014
    DLR Paris 2006, 2008, 2010
    DLR HK 2013

Post Thanks / Like

"So.. we're merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily on our way to NOWHERE IN PARTICULAR!"

I recall the tune, but I might be in the minority.
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2013 YC, WL, CR (good year!)
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR
    2016 YC, Universal Portofino, GF, Waldorf

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Bukowski

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDINK View Post
    "So.. we're merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily on our way to NOWHERE IN PARTICULAR!"

Not only do I recall it, I love it!!! Oh to go crashing through struff again!
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDINK View Post

I recall it, as well. In fact, it was one of my favorite park songs back in the day. It was almost reminiscent of Funiculi, Funicula a little bit ... at least the tune was.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I remember the tune, too! I loved Mr. Toad as a child. As an adult, too, but as a child, it was so exciting. It was kind if a thrill ride for a little kid too small for Space Mountain - it was exciting and fun and you laughed the whole way through.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I enjoyed about this ride, besides the fun song while waiting (which I have among many other songs/sounds and so forth in my WDW collection), was that my mom or dad would let me "drive" the car through the ride and my bro would "drive" the other one. For such a quick ride, it basically took you through the entire movie (if you rode both sides to get the full story) save for the ending of course which was not in it. Simple effects, simple animatronics, nothing over elaborate but yet it was all effective in transporting you into the story and you felt like you were a part of it as though you were seeing it all from Mr. Toad's point of view. I was lucky enough to go on it one last time the same year they were going to close and I even got to see a few of the Save Mr. Toad people. I took as many pics as I could so that way I have something to look back to when I want.
    28 times to WDW and still going since 1984!! Most recent visit: November/December 2011...Far too long since my last visit! :'(

Personally, I believe it didn't start with a mouse. It started with a man that had one of the greatest imaginations in this world.

Post Thanks / Like

If you ever get out to Disneyland, you'll find Mr. Toad still riding wild there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Pooh = A rather dull, uninspired, poorly maintained attraction
    So true, but such a shame when there is such an awesome version in Japan that puts even most all of WDW E tickets to shame. It's even a bit infuriating knowing what can be done.

At least the queue was somewhat updated and a bit more interesting now.

I love Mr. Toad and enjoy riding it when at Disneyland. Who doesn't love a trip to that hot place down under. At the same time though, I like that it's something that again makes Disneyland unique and can't be found elsewhere. Disneyland (because of Mr. Walt Disney) is where these classic attractions should remain, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I respectfully disagree with the criticisms of the Pooh ride. I've never been a fan of the books, cartoons, or characters of the Hundred Acre Woods. but I think this is a nice, if simple, dark ride. I like the simple effects of the rain hitting the floodwater as the honeypot bobs along, the sticky honey effect, (even though it's clearly a poorly disguised bungee cord,) and even the bouncing along with Tigger. The soundtrack is kind of endearing as well.

Meanwhile, I sympathize with the fans of Mr. Toad. It's a far better story, a book I LOVED when I was a kid, and the characters are endearing. I thought the ride fell a bit short though, but I understand it was a childhood classic. Perhaps not seeing it until I was age 27 was a factor in my attitude towards it?

Meanwhile, I agree with the merchandising issue. The overexposure of the characters, the blatant store dump, and the generalizing of the products is disconcerting.

Still, for characters I've never really cared for, they won me over a bit when I met them at Crystal Palace for the first time, and I admit, I enjoy their simple, but whimsical Fantasyland attraction.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Back in 1998 my brother and I couldn't wait to go on Toad's Wildride! We remembered how awesome it was when we rode it in the 80's. While in line we told our younger brothers how awesome the ride was and got them all excited about it. Well lets just say by the end of the ride my brother and I looked at eachother and said really, that was it? LOL Of course we were college age kids and looking for thrill rides and Toad was not a thrill ride. It was a good ride though and I wish my kids could have experienced it.
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: