Quantcast Johnny Depp is Tonto and The Lone Ranger is...CANCELLED! (Update)

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Johnny Depp is Tonto and The Lone Ranger is...CANCELLED! (Update)

I read today on Ain't It Cool.com, Disney is in talks with George Clooney to play The Lone Ranger.

Right now, I would take this with a grain of salt but I would be VERY excited to see Depp playing Tonto and Clooney playing The Lone Ranger.

To be honest, anything has to be better than the just plain awful movie from the early 80s.

I grew up with reruns of The Lone Ranger on TV and listening to the old radio shows. I would love to be able to introduce my son to The Lone Ranger and I hope they do this movie that will do the character justice and make him an American icon again. I really do think this country needs an icon like him.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RBrooksC View Post
    I read today on Ain't It Cool.com, Disney is in talks with George Clooney to play The Lone Ranger.

Right now, I would take this with a grain of salt but I would be VERY excited to see Depp playing Tonto and Clooney playing The Lone Ranger.

To be honest, anything has to be better than the just plain awful movie from the early 80s.

I grew up with reruns of The Lone Ranger on TV and listening to the old radio shows. I would love to be able to introduce my son to The Lone Ranger and I hope they do this movie that will do the character justice and make him an American icon again. I really do think this country needs an icon like him again.
    Couldn't agree with you more. Clayton Moore was an icon up until he died.

Remember when they tried to ban him from wearing his mask in public - probably around the time of the horrible 80's movie. He started wearing some famous brand of sunglasses (probably raybans).

And for those who may have forgotten (or never knew).......

"A fiery horse with the speed of light, a cloud of dust, and a hearty hi-ho, Silver! The Lone Ranger with his faithful Indian companion, Tonto, the daring and resourceful masked rider of the plains led the fight for law and order in the early West. Return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear . . The Lone Ranger rides again!"
    "Believe me, it's the most exciting and challenging assignment we have ever tackled at Walt Disney Productions."
    Walt Disney speaking on the future Disney World

Post Thanks / Like

That is true. Clayton Moore was forbidden from wearing the mask because the movie studio believed people would confuse the two Lone Rangers.

So, what happened was, the movie bombed and the studio quietly allowed Moore to wear the mask again.

If I remember correctly, that controversy allowed a resurgence in Moore's popularity. He wore the sunglasses and I believe he got a sponsorship for a car company. I can almost remember the ad. The only thing I remember is Moore wearing the glasses sitting behind the wheel of a car.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm suffering from fallout from George Clooney's Batman & Robin, but I cannot see him doing a serious Lone Ranger. He seems to be at his best with a kind of cheesey role - aka 'O Brother, Where Art Thou', 'The Peacemaker', 'ER',... I could go on, but I really haven't seen him in anything that he just wasn't silly to some degree in.
    I'm not down on George Clooney, in fact, I really like his roles when they fit him - some people just are not action stars.
    Johnny Depp...well, he goes both ways with his roles and he really isn't native america, so I would have to say that this could be a re-birth of the 80's film with the same results -or- it's going to be a comedy (Yes, Pirates was a comedy, albeit the first one was a great action-adventure-comedy that worked for him). Phew, that was a long sentance!
    It is my dream to one day pilot the monorails around the Seven Seas Lagoon....where's my star!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, first off, I doubt you could do The Lone Ranger as he was done back in the 40s and 50s. Times are different that that "aw *****" type of attitude wouldn't play today.

However, George Clooney is an actor and, from what I have read, gave interest in this part before the talks began so I think he would take it seriously.

My guess in the movie would be like Pirates where it is action and comedy but The Lone Ranger would be played as a genuine hero. I doubt they would be any grey area like with many heros today.

Johnny Depp is part Cherokee or something like that so that is why he would be choosen for the part.

Also, if they make a good movie and have those two leads in it, it could possibly be a huge blockbuster.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember fondly watching the reruns of Clayton Moore as the Lone Ranger and hope this film pays homage to it, unlike that drek of a film they released in the 80's . Depp as Tonto is an intriquing pick, he has the acting ability to make this work, a lot will depend on the script.

As for George Clooney, I haven't been enamored with a lot of his films other than O Brother, if the Coen brothers are directing OK, but if not leave Clooney out. I envisioned a younger actor playing the lead maybe Ed Burns, Christian Bale or Robert Downey Jr? If they are looking at an older lead than there are better picks than Clooney. How about Kevin Spacey, Russel Crowe, even Tom Hanks, Heck Hanks already has experience playing a cowboy as Woody .

I'm Looking forward for the Lone Ranger's return but if Clooney is the lead I may skip it on the big screen and catch it when it hits the shelves at Blockbuster.
    Feb '19 Aulani
    Aug '18 Pop Century
    Feb '18 Disneyland
    Dec '16 Yacht & Beach Club
    Oct '13 Carribbean Beach
    Dec '10 AK Kidani Village
    Dec '09 Port Orleans FQ
    Dec '08 Polynesian
    Dec '05 Pop Century

Dec '02 AS Sports
    '73- '92 numerous off site

'71 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I just want to know what the word "schucks" was edited...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diznee4Me View Post
    Couldn't agree with you more. Clayton Moore was an icon up until he died.

Remember when they tried to ban him from wearing his mask in public - probably around the time of the horrible 80's movie. He started wearing some famous brand of sunglasses (probably raybans).

And for those who may have forgotten (or never knew).......

"A fiery horse with the speed of light, a cloud of dust, and a hearty hi-ho, Silver! The Lone Ranger with his faithful Indian companion, Tonto, the daring and resourceful masked rider of the plains led the fight for law and order in the early West. Return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear . . The Lone Ranger rides again!"
    I remember the sunglasses.
    and i read the comics a few yrs ago.
    hope it turns out good
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that I remember reading that one of his gransfathers was Cherokee & that's why he got his indian tattoo! I think that JD is an amazing actor that put so much of himself into developing his character for every movie he's in! I think he's only in 2 maybe 3 movies that I've not seen. He's believeable as Capt. Jack as much as he is George Jung! I can't wait to see what he has in store for us now!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

I think Johnny was cast perfectly as Tonto and we can't wait!!!
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure about the idea for a Lone Ranger movie, but the thought of ANY movie with Johnny Depp AND George Clooney in it....

I'd be first in line at the movie theater.

Kathy
    Many trips from childhood to 2008, WDW/DLP
    8/09: Ultimate Adventurer Trip, WL Concierge/AKL
    6/10: POFQ
    12/10: Mousefan Reunion (Pop)
    8/11, 7/12: AKL Concierge
    10/12: ICOT 15th solo trip (Pop)
    4/13: Pop
    7/13: Hilton Bonnet Creek
    7/14: 3 nights at BLT
    12/14: US, IOA, and WDW

Post Thanks / Like

I really liked Clooney in the Oceans movies. We don't watch a lot of movies, but based on that character, I think he would be fine as Lone Ranger.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, this is confirmed, JD has signed on to this project... in case there was any doubt, still no word about Clooney though.

D
    It's gonna be the future soon
    I won't always be this way
    When the things that make me weak and strange get engineered away
    -Emil Bleehall - Adventurer of the Year!

Next Stop... MNSSHP Oct. 2011! Oh boy here we go!

Post Thanks / Like

Resurrecting this older thread to include the latest news that production has been halted.

Disney stops production on Johnny Depp's "Lone Ranger"

LOS ANGELES (TheWrap.com) - One of the biggest films on Walt Disney Studios' slate -- starring perhaps its most important actor -- has come to a screeching halt, TheWrap has confirmed.

Disney has stopped pre-production on "The Lone Ranger," which was -- or is -- to star "Pirates of the Caribbean" topliner Johnny Depp as Tonto.

An individual close to the project told TheWrap Friday night that everyone involved with the movie is "talking about next steps."

Another speculated that the decision could be a ploy on the studio's part to reduce the budget.

That's not entirely unlikely, as studio head Rich Ross entered the job with a mandate to cut costs.

There are all kinds of reasons Disney would tread gently with this: In addition to the Depp heft, there's Jerry Bruckheimer's producer heft and Gore Verbinski's director heft.

The studio does not want to anger Depp, who stars in its most successful franchise -- and whose "Alice in Wonderland" grossed more than $1 billion worldwide for the studio. Disney would like Depp to make a fifth "Pirates."

Verbinski, who is attached to direct "The Lone Ranger," directed Depp in "Rango" and in three "Pirates" films. Bruckheimer produced the "Pirates" movies.

Additionally, there's the up-and-coming heft of Armie Hammer, the compelling actor who played twins Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss in "The Social Network" and plays Prince Andrew Alcott in Relativity's upcoming "Snow White" project.

The movie was set to begin production this October in New Mexico.

"The Lone Ranger" had been given a December 21, 2012, release date. But that date has suddenly grown more competitive. This week, Paramount announced that "World War Z," its giant zombie picture starring Brad Pitt, will be released that day.

Deadline first reported the news.

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

The decision to halt production on the Lone Ranger is also likely a reactionary move to Cowboys & Aliens not meeting expectations at the box office (so it has any studio nervous about committing to doing a big-budget Western)

I also think a December release date isn't exactly ideal.

As far as cost-cutting being a factor- going into D23, it is interesting that they are leading with Parks & Resorts on Friday and saving the Studios presentation for Saturday (and also since there wasn't as large of a presence at Comic-Con as previous years- at least no major announcements there I think which adds to the curiosity)

Post Thanks / Like

George Clooney and Johnny Depp together! I want to buy my ticket NOW!
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrowncatP View Post
    George Clooney and Johnny Depp together! I want to buy my ticket NOW!
    It wasn't going to be George Clooney. It was the guy from The Social Network who played the twins.

But, not to be anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

$250 million budget for Lone Ranger was way too much... They had to shelve this in order to get the budget down.. This movie should never cost $250 million to produce... Not when True Grit cost only $30 million to make...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Did I hear the rumor correctly that this movie was over budget due to WEREWOLVES?

Really? Come on now Bruckheimer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    $250 million budget for Lone Ranger was way too much... They had to shelve this in order to get the budget down.. This movie should never cost $250 million to produce... Not when True Grit cost only $30 million to make...
    I agree,a quarter billion for The Lone Ranger??? Thats even harder to swallow than the last POTC costing the same,I love 'On Stranger Tides', but why did a scaled down,back to basics addition to the franchise cost a quarter billion?Who is getting all this money that we the ones who buy the tickets have to repay???
    1981(FW) 1982(FW) 1983(FW) 1984(FW) 1985(FW)
    1986(FW) 1987(FW) 1989-2x(FW) 2004(ASMO)2008(CSR)

You can't just let it go...not even on your birthday.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: