Quantcast Florida Tolls.... from MCO to WDW - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brivers222 View Post
    if I get a sunpass I would have to bring it on my flight... that brings up some questions for me

Will the FAA have a problem with me bringing it on my carry on?

will the xray machines cause it to fail?

and

Can I use it on my rental car or does the sunpass need to be registered (and used) on a vehicle that I own?

Actually the more i look at the routes... Which Pass would I get for the 417 from MCO to WDW? Its not listed on the Sunpass website
    Just get a sunpass, it's good for all toll roads in Florida.
    My family has friends that live in florida and they have a Sunpass and they gave it to us and let us use it in our car. I don't know if that's technically allowed but we had no issues.

I will say that when you sign up for an EZPass (I assume Sunpass is the same way) you are supposed to tell them the make/model/license plate number of your car and any other car that you may use it on (like your husbands or an adult childs) and it is to be used with those cars ONLY. If you intend to use, say your sisters car for a trip, I know you could register it for use on her car, but with a rental car you don't know the license plate until you get it. I guess if you have a smart phone you could update it.
    I will however say (but not encourage trying this) I don't know how they could tell if you are using it on an unregistered vehicle. The toll plazas are monitored by cameras, but someone would have to be watching the cameras and visually verifying the license plates constantly, with dozens of cars passing through those lanes every minute, seems a little hard.

And thanks willy, I will be sure to have 12 quarters each way with me. I'm kind of spoiled with my EZpass, I'm not used to having to stop and pay tolls
    Last edited by frozman; 08-22-2011 at 05:29 PM. Reason: To thank willy
    1988- Off site
    1989- Off site
    1990- WDW Hilton & Swan
    1997- Dixie Landings (now Port Orleans Riverside)
    2005- Shades of Green
    June 2006- Pop Century
    Jan 2007- Disneyland- Disneyland Hotel
    Jan 2010- Disneyland- Double Tree Orange
    Oct 2010- Disneyland- Off site
    Sept 2011- All Star Sports

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think i am just going to bring rolls of quarters as well... it will be another 2 years before we are down in florida again.
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

I put mine in my carryon and have never had any problems getting thru security.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool SR 417 and SunPass

I just ordered my SunPass yesterday on line at sunpass.com for our trip South to Disney end of September.
    It's kinda free. $4.99 but you get a $4.99 credit towards tolls. I added an additional $15.00 to be used on SR 417 in both directions from Sanford to Allstar Music and back again. If I have a balance, I can request a refund to be mailed back to me. Now, I can stay in the far left lane and not even slow down, well maybe a little.
    Everyone Stay Safe this week if your driving down and greet "IRENE". Looks like we're going to take this hit on this one here in NC, but I-95 is going to be packed. I would think Southbound Traffic would move better than Northbound in this case? Right now forecast to reach us Saturday Night into Sunday. Friday/Saturday Evacuation Traffic will probably be the worst! Stay Safe!
    1972- FW 1st WDW trip/Dad
    73-79 WDW Cast(Water Craft)
    1980 - 2005 - FW,ASM, PO,Poly
    Sept 28-Oct 6, 2007 - DW 50th
    Sept 6-19, 2009 ASM Calypso 25th Annv.
    Sept 23-Oct 1, 2011. Calypso w/Dash, his 1st Disney Trip
    Dec 9-19, 2012Christmas
    Oct 2-14, 2013 ASM
    Sep13-24. 30th Anniv. Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by brivers222 View Post
    if I get a sunpass I would have to bring it on my flight... that brings up some questions for me

Will the FAA have a problem with me bringing it on my carry on?

will the xray machines cause it to fail?

and

Can I use it on my rental car or does the sunpass need to be registered (and used) on a vehicle that I own?

Actually the more i look at the routes... Which Pass would I get for the 417 from MCO to WDW? Its not listed on the Sunpass website
    Transponders are not affected by x-rays and are perfectly okay in either carry-on or checked baggage.

They can be used in rental cars without having to register that particular vehicle. See my next reply for more info.

SunPass and E-Pass are essentially interchangeable; either one can be used on the same toll roads.

Quote Originally Posted by frozman View Post
    If you intend to use, say your sisters car for a trip, I know you could register it for use on her car, but with a rental car you don't know the license plate until you get it. I guess if you have a smart phone you could update it.

I will however say (but not encourage trying this) I don't know how they could tell if you are using it on an unregistered vehicle. The toll plazas are monitored by cameras, but someone would have to be watching the cameras and visually verifying the license plates constantly, with dozens of cars passing through those lanes every minute, seems a little hard.
    The cameras are not monitored, per se. They take a still picture of the license plate of cars that fail to pay the toll. If the car belongs to a rental company, the rental company will track you down for payment of the toll plus an administrative fee.

As long as the transponder electronically pays the toll, SunPass/E-Pass don't really care what vehicle it's on.

Quote Originally Posted by steamboat willy View Post
    It's kinda free. $4.99 but you get a $4.99 credit towards tolls. I added an additional $15.00 to be used on SR 417 in both directions from Sanford to Allstar Music and back again. If I have a balance, I can request a refund to be mailed back to me. Now, I can stay in the far left lane and not even slow down, well maybe a little.
    Remember that the $4.99 model is basically an RFID sticker that must be adhered to your windshield; it will not work just laying on the dashboard. Thus, it is not portable and can only be used on the registered car. Removing it from the windshield basically makes it worthless.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Remember that the $4.99 model is basically an RFID sticker that must be adhered to your windshield; it will not work just laying on the dashboard. Thus, it is not portable and can only be used on the registered car. Removing it from the windshield basically makes it worthless.
    Yep.....that's why I got this model. I plan on using it for our trip south this year, removing it and getting my balance credited back to me.
    Next trip ? ? ? Get another.

Thanks Ed, Keep Pushing "Irene" EAST. Be Nice To Our Beach!
    1972- FW 1st WDW trip/Dad
    73-79 WDW Cast(Water Craft)
    1980 - 2005 - FW,ASM, PO,Poly
    Sept 28-Oct 6, 2007 - DW 50th
    Sept 6-19, 2009 ASM Calypso 25th Annv.
    Sept 23-Oct 1, 2011. Calypso w/Dash, his 1st Disney Trip
    Dec 9-19, 2012Christmas
    Oct 2-14, 2013 ASM
    Sep13-24. 30th Anniv. Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frozman View Post
    I don't plan on using the plate pass on my rental car and it's $2.50 per rental day "convenience fee".
    I always run the tolls in my rentals.

Jk, Avis offers free tolls when in Fl.
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)