Quantcast Letter to Disney Execs Re: Monorail - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default and...

btw, I think the letter is great - very well written.

Regardless of the reason for what they are doing, this thread hilites that the comms surrounding the decision could have been better - at least from the view of loyal patrons (hopefully a highly valued group). ... and hopefully, Disney will see that and appreciate the insight.

Carolyn & Nikki - Two sisters whose first visit was the day before the Magic began...and have been hooked ever since!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneykidsince1970 View Post
    "

very interesting dicussion. But, with all due respect, if you book the Contemporary, I believe that you are indirectly guaranteed the monorail as a transportation option (w/o comment on the hours that it is available).
    You are not guaranteed the monorail 24/7. That's like saying since I bought tickets to MK I am guaranteed Splash Mountain. Not if a refurb is necessary. The monorail is your main mode of transportation, but not the only one. If you expect it to continue to be the main mode of transport, upkeep is required.

Like I said before, twice in a week maximum having to use a different Disney transport is not a big trade-off to keep the monorail running.

The letter was well written, just without all the facts.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

We will be in WDW this November and this change will affect us greatly. It doesn't just affect people only on EMH nights, but almost every night during non-peak periods. When I'm going to WDW the MK closes at either 7 p.m. or 8 p.m. every night except Saturday night when it closes at 10 p.m. EPCOT closes at 9 p.m. every night. So if the MK monorail closes at either 8 p.m. or 9 p.m. (one hour after close) and I'm at EPCOT and I try to get back to BLT after Illuminations, I'll get stuck at the TTC because the MK monorails (both park and resort loops) have stopped running. That instance occurs six out of seven nights of the week, so it's not a minor inconvenience that affects only people on EMH nights. It's a big concern for my family, as my Dad has had a knee replacement and back surgery, and being jerked around on a bus doesn't help, so we need the monorail as a transportation option.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by diz_girl View Post
    We will be in WDW this November and this change will affect us greatly. It doesn't just affect people only on EMH nights, but almost every night during non-peak periods. When I'm going to WDW the MK closes at either 7 p.m. or 8 p.m. every night except Saturday night when it closes at 10 p.m. EPCOT closes at 9 p.m. every night. So if the MK monorail closes at either 8 p.m. or 9 p.m. (one hour after close) and I'm at EPCOT and I try to get back to BLT after Illuminations, I'll get stuck at the TTC because the MK monorails (both park and resort loops) have stopped running. That instance occurs six out of seven nights of the week, so it's not a minor inconvenience that affects only people on EMH nights. It's a big concern for my family, as my Dad has had a knee replacement and back surgery, and being jerked around on a bus doesn't help, so we need the monorail as a transportation option.
    I'm not sure if this is correct, but I believe that the monorail closes an hour after the later park closes. If that is correct, you would have monorail to your hotel from Epcot.

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow First Response to Letter

I just received a very nice phone call from Joan at WDW Guest Services. She conveyed to me that Meg Crofton's office asked her to call me and that she did not want to send me a form letter.

She apologized for the reduction in evening monorail service citing maintenance needs as the reason. She listened very carefully to all I had to say. I asked her how this maintenance requirement has been handled for the last 35 years and she said she didn't know. She said she would definitely send my concerns to the Transportation Dept and reply to Crofton about my concerns.

She said it would only affect monorail line guests on EMH evening hours. However, I told her that it was my understanding that transportation would also be affected from resort to resort. On evenings when parks are closed early, we always have dinner at the California Grill, take the monorail to the Grand Floridian for dessert at the bar at Citrico's and shopping, and then take the monorail back to the Contemporary. I asked her how I would get back to my resort from the Grand Floridian after the monorail stops one hour after the Magic Kingdom closes. She said I would take a bus back to the Contemporary. As far as I know, there are no buses that go from one resort to another. You must take a bus from one resort to the TTC and catch another bus to your resort or call a cab. I explained to her that this could take up to one hour or more depending on how many buses are available. I don't think she had ever thought of this scenario. I suppose there are boats that run between the CR, GF, Poly and Wilderness Lodge, but that takes a long time also.

In addition, I told her that I felt like I was paying full price for a service I was not going to receive.

I was pleased with our conversation. I don't know if it makes any difference, but she was very pleasant. She will email me if she gets any feedback from Crofton or the Transportation people. I thanked her for her understanding.

If I get anymore responses to my letter, i will let you know.
    "Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time...and for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers. We now have the ability and the responsibility to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us, to create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth."

Post Thanks / Like

Post Email from Joan at Guest Services

Just received this email:

Dear Ruth,

Thank you for your letter to Meg Crofton and for speaking with me today.

I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your genuine concern and
    honest comments with us. Again, I am very sorry to learn of your
    disappointment with the decision to revise the operating hours of the
    monorail system. I certainly understand that you want to continue your
    tradition of enjoying desserts and shopping in the evening hours at
    Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa during your vacation. As we
    discussed, buses and watercraft (where applicable) will be available to
    transport our Guests back to their resorts when attending our Evening
    Extra Magic Hours. I assure you that I have shared your valuable
    feedback with our transportation leaders.

Ruth, it is my sincere hope your December visit will be filled with many
    "magical" memories.

Kindest regards,

Joan Martin
    Guest Services
    Walt Disney World Resort
    "Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time...and for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers. We now have the ability and the responsibility to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us, to create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth."

Post Thanks / Like

It scares me what is going on at WDW corporate. All these cut backs and changes in management. It sounds like these people are not qualified and never even thought that inter-resort transportation would be an issue. That is sad.
    Next WDW Vacation: 1st Disney Cruise w. Land and Sea adventure, Summer 2014

WDW 76x ON PROPERTY since March 1984
    Most Recent Trip: Thanksgiving/Christmas 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Ruth, great letter by the way and thank you for speaking up for all of us who are tired of the cut backs.
    Next WDW Vacation: 1st Disney Cruise w. Land and Sea adventure, Summer 2014

WDW 76x ON PROPERTY since March 1984
    Most Recent Trip: Thanksgiving/Christmas 2013

Post Thanks / Like

With all of the issues surrounding Disney transportation in the last few years, I'm really starting to think the system is struggling to keep up with current demand. It would seem that the constant flow of guests in a continuing (mostly) upward trend has put a strain on the whole system.
    Maybe it's time they start to look at making some major upgrades. Perhaps some newer, bigger monorails. Some newer and bigger ferry boats, and maybe even another method of transport from the parking lots to MK like maybe a direct light-rail type of shuttle.

I haven't made the trek from the parking lot to the front gates of MK in a while, but I do remember it is somewhat time consuming with transferring from your car to a tram, then to a ferry or monorail. I hate to sound like a spoiled next-gen kid, but in today's fast-paced society, this is almost an eternity. I would propose an extension to the express monorail line, with a new station in the middle of the MK parking lot. This station and the line could run at least two new or modified trains with greater capacity. The line would only run during the first 4 hours in the morning, and then the last 4 hours of operation at night. It would tie-in to the current express line with switches that would allow it on/off the express line and into the parking area. During the other hours of the day, the express line would operate as it does now on the existing beam.

Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Beginning on July 11 2011, the Epcot monorail service will stop operation 1 hour after regular park closing, and from August 1, 2011, the Magic Kingdom monorail will stop operation 1 hour after regular park closing. This means that in both cases, the monorail will not be able to return guests back to their resorts after evening Extra Magic Hours. Guests will instead be transported by bus and boats where available. Morning Extra Magic Hour service has not been affected. All indications are that this is a permanent change.
    I didn't see if this change reflected both the Resort Monorail *and* the Express, or just the Express side. It really shouldn't be an issue on the EPCOT line as there are no resorts on that line - there *are* buses and boats from EPCOT to each and every resort on property (from EPCOT).

If the change *does* affect both Resort *and* Express, you have a few options:

1) Boats to the Poly, Grand Flo, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, and Ft. Wilderness
    2) Buses to all of the other resorts
    3) Ferries back to the TTC (if you're parked in MK parking).

From my Main Street CM experience, *most* guests are out of the park well within that first hour after park closing. There are very few guests left in the park after an hour.

*However* - as far as EMH (and the Parties) goes at EPCOT and MK...again, you have the above options. And again, I can't say for sure, BUT...the Resort Monorail line *should* remain on-line during EMH - and if it doesn't....I'd do what PawleyPlatoon did and write a letter/e-mail.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Thanks for your information Main Street Jim! So far my only replies have been the phone call and email which I have already posted here.

Do you have any further details on the exact schedule of the monorails - the resort line, the express line and the EPCOT line? We are going to WDW in December and I am trying to line up our travel plans now. Specifically we have dinner at the California Grill one night and want to know if we can resort hop for shopping and dessert. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Has anyone else written to WDW or spoken with guest services regarding this reduction in monorail service? If so, what were your questions and what responses did you receive?

The more who contact the Disney company, the better results we should receive.

THANKS!!

Post Thanks / Like

Why is it everyone understands when a ride is down for refurb or repair, but not this? Twice, twice maximum in a week long vacation this would affect you.

Here's another way of looking at this. If a bus stops running, you just put another bus in service, if there are passengers, you transfer them to the new bus. If a monorail train stops running, everything stops. It is a much bigger deal. If a road becomes impassable,you reroute. If a monorail beam has a problem, the entire system stops, period. Maintenance is a necessity.

I ask again, is it worth two times max to ride something beside the monorail, to have a more dependable monorail??!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    Why is it everyone understands when a ride is down for refurb or repair, but not this? Twice, twice maximum in a week long vacation this would affect you.
    Exactly it's twice a week AND only during EMH. Since EMH is only for people staying at Disney resorts and most come by bus there isn't as much demand for the monorail to the TTC. Even before the change, coming back from Epcot and crossing the parking lot, you could easily see that. The MK lots were always quite empty even on EMH nights. Taking the ferries isn't exactly a hardship.

As far as the monorail resorts, if you stay at CR it's only a 10 minute walk, the resort launch has always been much quicker to GF, and for the Poly you can take either the resort launch or the ferry. Lots of folks did that before the monorail reduction. No real issue there.

If it means better maintenance this will be a net positive for very little inconvenience.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PawleyPlatoon View Post
    Do you have any further details on the exact schedule of the monorails - the resort line, the express line and the EPCOT line? We are going to WDW in December and I am trying to line up our travel plans now.
    Resort monorail: 7:00am until 1 hours after regular hours park closing at the Magic Kingdom and Epcot.

Express monorail: 30 minutes prior to Magic Kingdom opening until 1 hour after regular hours park closing.

EPCOT: 8:00am until 1 hour after regular hours park closing.

Not real sure how up-to-date this is.

Specifically we have dinner at the California Grill one night and want to know if we can resort hop for shopping and dessert. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
    You just want to resort-hop at the MK resorts? If you can't get the monorail, the bus usually travels in a loop from Contemporary, to the Polynesian, to the Grand Floridian, and then to their destination (water parks/Downtown Disney, other theme parks, etc.).
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    Exactly it's twice a week AND only during EMH. Since EMH is only for people staying at Disney resorts and most come by bus there isn't as much demand for the monorail to the TTC.
    Not quite accurate.
    This also applies to nights with MNSSHP and MVMCP. The throngs waiting to take the ferry after midnight were unimaginable. After shelling out an additional $250 for MNSSHP, a hard ticket event, waiting forever to get the ferry was indeed a hardship.
    SteveL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    Not quite accurate.
    This also applies to nights with MNSSHP and MVMCP. The throngs waiting to take the ferry after midnight were unimaginable. After shelling out an additional $250 for MNSSHP, a hard ticket event, waiting forever to get the ferry was indeed a hardship.
    I have to agree with you on this one. The night of MNSSHP the line for the ferry was crazy!!! It took us an hour just to get on a ferry!
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone written to Walt Disney World asking about this change in monorail service? We all want to be kept in the "loop" (sorry, I just had to say it) and want to hear any replies you get!

If you haven't written, please consider doing so. The bottom line is that those paying extra bucks for monorail resorts are not getting all the services they are paying for.

Again I ask, what did the monorail service dept. do for maintenance for the last 35 years? Why this change at this time? What is so different now that has caused this major change in service?

THANKS!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PawleyPlatoon View Post

Again I ask, what did the monorail service dept. do for maintenance for the last 35 years? Why this change at this time? What is so different now that has caused this major change in service?

THANKS!!!
    My guesses are

1. Increased Monorail use with the extended hours and increased attendance.

2. Weeeeelllll....if they weren't doing the needed maintenance before,it's probably more needed now...

One more time, twice a week max for EMH in exchange for a more reliable monorail. This is a smart trade-off!

Post Thanks / Like

The monorail can't run 24/7. It's having problems...

Twice during the week I was there at the end of August, the monorail was DOWN all together!!!!! Getting out of the Magic Kingdom at 10pm was a nightmare with no monorail. It moves more people than you think!!!!

They have to do something to keep it running efficient. Due to the monorail being down and all the extra people and buses needed, it took 2 hours to get back to the Pop.

Shutting it down at a designated time maybe a short term solution for now.
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: