Quantcast Disney Updating Rides but Actually Making Them Worse - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Seeing how this movie was SO popular , I don't understand why they stuck with this name change. Why didn't they go back after the movie flopped so hard? Why continue to associate a ride with a failed movie?
    Why? Likely because the return to the original name would have required someone in management to do two things overseers and bean counters are often reluctant to do:

1. Admit a mistake was made in the first place.

2. Expend resources that could negatively impact a department's short term financial reports
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    Why? Likely because the return to the original name would have required someone in management to do two things overseers and bean counters are often reluctant to do:

Heh heh, yeah. Disney LOVES doing this. It took them 10 years to admit it with regards to DCA...

Well then, they should have waited to change the name of the ride until AFTER they had a box office smash hit on their hands.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

You left out a couple of biggies from my list, the most notable of which would be the (lack of) Imagination pavilion which went from one of the absolute best attractions Disney has ever done to possibly the worst.
    I couldn't agree more. I had a long gap between my last visit as a teen and my next visit on my honeymoon, which was my husband's first time. i couldn't wait to take him on the wonderful ride & explore the fun pavilion, the "rainbow tunnel" & meet Dreamfinder. Imagine my surprise when I discovered what they did to one of my favorites. I never saw the 2nd (reportedly awful) version, and I'm glad - this one was disappointing enough.

That said, we still go because my kids still love it.

Post Thanks / Like

It just so happens that Pixar's next movie in creation is a dinosaur story. Perhaps Pixar will get a bit more presence in AK soon?
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McLiberal8 View Post
    It just so happens that Pixar's next movie in creation is a dinosaur story. Perhaps Pixar will get a bit more presence in AK soon?
    Uh, isn't Brave the next Pixar movie?

The Dinosaur movie is going to be a direct to dvd release, no?
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Uh, isn't Brave the next Pixar movie?

The Dinosaur movie is going to be a direct to dvd release, no?
    According to everything I read, it is a theatrical release, Nov 2013. This is the film set to come out after Brave and Monsters University. After 'Untitled Pixar Dinosaur Movie' is 'Untitled Pixar Journey Into The Human Mind Movie'.
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say that I COMPLETELY DISAGREE with you.

1. The old/new version of the Tiki Room is boring. Kids hate it - adults yawn through it. The UNM version was much better in that it was actually entertaining and funny, if annoying (which lent to its humor).

2. The old Mexico boat ride was boring, uninformative, and musically annoying. The new version is clever, funny, my kids think it's the best ride at Epcot, and it pays tribute to Vintage Disney.

3. The old clams weren't in use, so they added beloved characters to an attraction I skipped in it's old, dull, and propogandist format.

4. Adding Captain Sparrow added to the attraction without taking anything away.

5. This one tops them all. You think UOE got better with Ellen? I guess there had to be one out there. I'd rather listen to Henry Kissinger dryly toil through a bad script then here Ellen's annoying voice trying (and failing) to be funny. I keep hoping the Dinosaurs eat her at the end.

What we have is a fundamental difference in philosophy.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

What an interesting thread to read! I must admit, I feel rather embarrassed now. While there are a few rides I don't car for, I must say that I've never [ in my 10+ years going], thought that deeply about each attraction. I'm just there escaping reality for a bit and soaking in the fun and happiness!
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

The other day, on one of those Internet Disney music sites, I heard the original, master copy of Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean ride-through. And it got me thinking: as amazing as the Jack Sparrow and Capt. Barbosa audioanimatronics are, I miss the original. I hope one day they restore it to its original glory.

I'm not saying the new version is any worse or any better (because it is well done). I just prefer the original.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    5. This one tops them all. You think UOE got better with Ellen? I guess there had to be one out there. I'd rather listen to Henry Kissinger dryly toil through a bad script then here Ellen's annoying voice trying (and failing) to be funny. I keep hoping the Dinosaurs eat her at the end.
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

GoofyDriverIsBack Guest

Default Imho

I like Ellen, never saw the previous versions. Pirates well I've only seen DL's version, I give the upgrade 2 thumbs up.

Don't like nemo (do like the movie) never saw the ride before but this cheep upgrade. They really should have done better. All I have to do is think about rides like Snow White and Peter Pan. They are well liked even in this day and age of CGI. Talk about bean counting that upgrade didn't even require talent let alone thought.

I like WDW's version of Haunted Mansion better then DL's don't know if this was an upgrade just like it better.

Dinosaur is OK, like the Indy version better. For one thing you can actually see what you are supposed to be afraid of.

Never cared for the great movie ride. I think I was spoiled. I grew up near the movieland wax museum. I think a real walk through museum would have been better.

I have seen both the old and new versions of Space Ship Earth. I like the new version better. I really like the questions and cartoon at the end. whats more you can email it to yourself and enjoy it later (also family and friends).

So I guess there is something for everyone to like/dislike and we all keep going back for more. That is what makes a vacation at WDW fun.

Post Thanks / Like

UOE, I did like the original moving screen. Kind of like a big rubix cube.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoofyDriverIsBack View Post
    So I guess there is something for everyone to like/dislike and we all keep going back for more. That is what makes a vacation at WDW fun.
    So real comment other than to say

to Intercot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terra View Post
    What an interesting thread to read! I must admit, I feel rather embarrassed now. While there are a few rides I don't car for, I must say that I've never [ in my 10+ years going], thought that deeply about each attraction. I'm just there escaping reality for a bit and soaking in the fun and happiness!
    Now THERE'S the best quote i've read today!

At the end of the day I think we all feel that way. People can just have strong feelings when it comes to rides they love changing.

Still...what I wouldn't give to ride the old SSE or Mexico ride one more time.
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

Seeing how this movie was SO popular , I don't understand why they stuck with this name change. Why didn't they go back after the movie flopped so hard? Why continue to associate a ride with a failed movie?
    Personally i dont think that box office receipts of a film should be the factor on creating an attraction.Just because a movie did poorly doesnt mean that the concept might be better utilized in a theme park ride.Splash Mountain is wildly popular but partly due to racially sensetive issues,the film has been non-existant for decades
    1981(FW) 1982(FW) 1983(FW) 1984(FW) 1985(FW)
    1986(FW) 1987(FW) 1989-2x(FW) 2004(ASMO)2008(CSR)

You can't just let it go...not even on your birthday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SandmanGStefani24 View Post
    Now THERE'S the best quote i've read today!

At the end of the day I think we all feel that way. People can just have strong feelings when it comes to rides they love changing.

Still...what I wouldn't give to ride the old SSE or Mexico ride one more time.
    I admit, I do love Spaceship Earth with Jeremy Irons. That strong voice! LOVED it!!
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: