First off, Happy Thanksgiving!!

As a 5 time veteran of CBR, I can give you this info.
I would absolutly pay for and stay in a "preffered location". With a group it can be a chore to get to the foodcourt or main pool. I always pay the extra$$nand we are always glad we did,

CBR is really spread out but it works to the resorts advantage. I think it is one of the largest Hotels in the country. Being spread out keeps the resort from being overcrowded (it never does)

The rooms are the largest of any moderate. If you have ever stayed at Wilderness Lodge they are similar to that. Nothing super fancy, but more than adequate and functional.

The Food Court is pretty good! It gives plenty of choices. Everyone should be able to find something that will satisfy them. CBR also offers a full service restaraunt. Shutters , while not a premium sit down rest. offers a nice option for a quiet resort day.

The "Main Pool" is great, great theming and the Cabana Bar is poolside for an adult beverage to end a busy day as the kids swim!! The quiet pools are great as well, as you often have them to yourself!

The Pirate rooms are an option if theming is important to you. Just be aware they are at at the farthest point of the resort. Disney was smart in this capacity as they took the most undesirable location in the resort and figured out how to charge extra for it. I personally would not stay there at a discount rate.

The grounds themselves are beautiful and really give off an Island or Tropical vibe, no worries there.

Overall the place is great. I am sure there are folks that think otherwise, but that is usually because they where unhappy with their location. (Hence the prefeered tip). I have never had an issue.

Good luck and enjoy your stay if you choose to go there!!