Quantcast Vast price differences in character breakfasts?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vast price differences in character breakfasts?

What is the reason behind the huge price differences for character breakfasts?

Chef Mickey's adult breakfast is currently $35.14, 1900 Park Fare is $26.62, 'Ohanas is $20.99 and Tusker House is $28.75. That is a $15 swing between Chef Mickey's and 'Ohanas. (these prices are from another site)

All of the meals are so darn similar, that I just can't figure out the huge price differences. Maybe I could justify 'Ohanas being lower because they don't have the buffet.

Any ideas? (No real reason that I want this info, I'm just super curious)
    Karen

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
    "So it is."
    "And freezing."
    "Is it?"
    "Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think those prices may not be correct. We almost always eat at Ohana's and I don't remember the price being that low.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    I think those prices may not be correct. We almost always eat at Ohana's and I don't remember the price being that low.
    I just ate at Tusker House for the character lunch last week and lunch was around $26 an adult. I think breakfast is around $25.

We ate at Chef Mickey's and Park Fare in October. Chef Mickey was around the $35 Allears posted. I almost fell off my chair when I got the bill.

I hadn't eaten there in awhile and I had done Ohana's in May and was expecting it to be around $25. Park Fare was in the $25-26 range.

My theory is that Chef Mickey's is a huge draw and the only place you can see Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Pluto, and Minnie and Disney knows people will pay for it so they raised the price.

For me I was very happy with Mickey, Donald, Daisy & Goofy at Tusker House for lunch for almost $10 less than Chef Mickey breakfast.
    Last edited by Hammer; 12-16-2011 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Remove reference to other site
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

I just checked over at "that other site" and the prices they have listed for Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare and Tusker House are dated August 2011 and the Ohana one was from January 2011. If my senior citizen minds remembers correctly there was much discussion in August, here at Intercot, about all character meals going up in price. The percentage of the increases were alarming to say the least. I'm guessing that the $20.99 for Ohana is not correct.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Default From WDW site....

1900 Park Faire:
    Breakfast
    Experience: Character Dining
    Service: Buffet
    Price Level: $$ ($15 to 35.99)

Chef Mickey's:

Breakfast
    Price Level: $$ ($15 to $35.99)

Lunch

'Ohana:
    Breakfast
    Service: Family-style

Tusker House:

Breakfast

Lunch

Looks like they are all the same price range to me....But, I guess that can change by venue...
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

According to the 2011 Birnbaum's guide these are the prices for the character breakfasts:

1900 Park Faire: $19/$11

Chef Mickey's: $25/$14

'Ohana: $21/$12

Tusker House: $21/$12

This book came out about 1 year ago, so I don't know if there has been increase since then or not.
    Everybody has a Laughing Place, a Laughing Place to go oh oh. Take that frown and turn it upside down, and you'll find yours we know oh oh.

Post Thanks / Like

This is giving me pause for thought - characters or no, $36 seems like an AWFUL lot of scrambled eggs and pancakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Part of the reason I chose to do dinner at Chef Mickey's was the price. It's hard enough stomaching paying 120+ for a family of four for a buffet at dinner, but to pay that much for breakfast for me was plan crazy for OOP. Now if we were going with DDP it would be a completely different story.
    Oct 97 All Star Music
    Dec 2008 CBR - First Family Trip
    February 2012 POP/BC

"I could get used to a view like this. Yep, I'm used to it. Guys I want a castle."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IamaDisneyFan View Post
    According to the 2011 Birnbaum's guide these are the prices for the character breakfasts:

1900 Park Faire: $19/$11

Chef Mickey's: $25/$14

'Ohana: $21/$12

Tusker House: $21/$12

This book came out about 1 year ago, so I don't know if there has been increase since then or not.
    In July of 2010 without tax or gratuity the breakfast price at Chef Mickey's was $86.97 for the three of us, or $28.99 a piece. In July of 2011, that price was boosted to $98.97 without tax or gratuity - or $32.99 each.

Now, we hadn't been back to dinner at CMs and were more shocked about THAT price in 2011. Without tax or gratuity or adult beverage, the cost was $119.97 or $39.99 each. WOW! In comparison, Ohana was $110.97 or $36.99 each.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom2morgan View Post
    This is giving me pause for thought - characters or no, $36 seems like an AWFUL lot of scrambled eggs and pancakes.
    That's how I felt after we went to Chef Mickey's last time. My son requested it for his birthday so I did it, but other than a special occasion I would not pay that much for breakfast again.
    Cindy aka AgentC

Post Thanks / Like

This is why i loved the Dining Plan... we didnt have to worry about prices... but I did take pics of the receipts to see what the cost would have been if we paid out of pocket... Below is strictly what was charged to dining plan... Not including Tip and any extras we bought

Chef Mickey's Dinner: $35.99 + Tax per adult
    Chef Mickey's Breakfast: $28.99 + Tax per adult

Ohana Breakfast: $20.99 + Tax per adult
    Akershus Breakfast: $39.99 + Tax per adult
    Cape May Cafe Breakfast: $28.99 + Tax per adult
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brivers222 View Post
    This is why i loved the Dining Plan... we didnt have to worry about prices.
    I've thought about doing dining plan so I don't have to worry. But because we are local, pass holders and my children almost never eat a complete meal, Tables in Wonderland tends to work best for us.

I went back and looked at my receipt for Chef Mickey's in October. The total was $122.76 for 3 adults and 2 children. This includes a 20% TIW discount. 18% tip and tax.

As a comparison our Tusker House Character Lunch in Dec was $111.14 for the same party using TIW. Of course at Tusker House I bought the Donald picture which added another $30 or so on.

Even with that, I don't think we will stop going to character meals anytime soon.
    Cindy aka AgentC

Post Thanks / Like

heck no... My wife and I (no kids) love the character meals! Thats the best way to meet the characters without standing in line in the sun!
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I was MIA from this discussion! I'm back. Thanks for the input. Being that we are on the free dining plan, it doesn't matter all that much to us, but I would certainly find it hard to justify paying OOP for some of those meals. I know it's a great way to meet the characters, and that frankly they are just a lot of fun and high energy, but the dining plan is about the only way they'd get me to places with costs like these. Not that we don't pay a lot for some really great meals outside of the World, but we're usually getting a steak that would melt in your mouth, and 6 personal wait staff!
    Karen

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
    "So it is."
    "And freezing."
    "Is it?"
    "Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: