Quantcast Fastpass Changes In March - Page 11

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pocahontas View Post
    I know it's been said, but I love the new rules of the FP time enforcement. The last few years I've went to WDW, the FP lines have been feeling more and more like stand by lines. At first I thought Disney was giving out too many FPs for each time slot until I figured out people could just come back any time they wanted.
    There are a fixed number of Fastpasses given out in a day for any one attraction, so there's no way the Fastpass lines would feel longer just because a few people chose to use their Fastpasses after the window.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    There are a fixed number of Fastpasses given out in a day for any one attraction, so there's no way the Fastpass lines would feel longer just because a few people chose to use their Fastpasses after the window.
    I hear what you're saying, but the last few years our family and others we spoke to all said the FP lines have been much longer than they remember them being in the past. This may only be true if your FP was for later in the day and if many others didn't go at their 'appointed time', than that could absolutely make the FP time longer.
    Next up - January '14 - WL

March '13 - POR; May '12 - AKL; Oct. '12 - GF; Feb '11 - SSR; Oct '10 - BC; Feb '09 - Poly; Feb '08 - WL; Feb '06 - POR; April '04 - ASM; Nov '02 - POR; Jan '00 - CSR; Feb '98 - POR; Oct '96 - CBR; Sept '94 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Pocahontas View Post
    I hear what you're saying, but the last few years our family and others we spoke to all said the FP lines have been much longer than they remember them being in the past. This may only be true if your FP was for later in the day and if many others didn't go at their 'appointed time', than that could absolutely make the FP time longer.
    It would be incredibly unlikely that enough people would come back after their window that you'd notice the line longer. Also, don't forget those people weren't in line earlier, which means the line was shorter then.

The real reason(s) I think the Fastpass lines are longer (and I agree they are) is two fold ... one, I think it's very popular and Disney has started giving out more of them per hour than they really should and two, because I think a large number of people counterfeit them.

Yes, I realize that's incredibly sad, but I also think it's accurate.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what has spurred Disney to start enforcing the return times, but I'm glad to see it. Disney, and other guests, should not have to accommodate anyone who just didn't want to return back in their time window. They do accommodate for ride failures already. And a 5 min. pre window, and 15 min post window policy seems reasonable to me. We have traveled by our selves and with our young children, and if we couldn't make a return time we gave our tickets away. As far as personal emergencies, I'm sure there will be accommodations made. And I'm also sure, people will try to abuse it. I realize these vacations are very expensive, and I do think there is a trend of increasing prices and lowering services, which is aggravating, but nobody is forcing me to go to Disney either, I can and will vacation elsewhere when services are no longer acceptable. This includes selling our DVC. I hope for the cast members sake, that anyone who doesn't like this policy change, takes it up with management and not vent on the cast members. After all it was managements choice to be lax on this policy, and they are now the ones reversing it. As far as few quests showing up late, that may not be noticed in the fast pass line, but what about a whole tour group? If they get their fast pass first thing in the morning, then it would essentially be good all day, so someone getting a fast pass only valid towards the end of the day, could potentially have a significantly longer wait.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Fastpass lines feel longer simply because Disney has gone overboard on offering FP on rides where, because of the way the ride loads, FP cannot be "fast". A perfect example of this is Toy Story Midway Mania. They can only dispatch so many vehicles every minute. They can't just hold the standby line to let all the FP people board first, so this line seems longer, as do many other attraction FP lines.

Disney would be wise to eliminate FP on certain attractions, and offer more single rider lines. Disneyland has figured this out, why is WDW so far behind on this concept?
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

..... and two, because I think a large number of people counterfeit them.
    Going off topic here, but it's funny you should mention that, Ian. I don't believe there is a lot of counterfeiting going on. But a couple of years ago some bogus fastpasses were showing up. The front side was pretty good, but there was an obvious error on the back. Also, the card stock wasn't right.

Another time someone was trying to use an "Executive FastPass", supposedly issued only to Disney executive staff and valid at any time on any attraction. That one didn't fool anyone ... a lot of work for no gain.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

I never have seen a FP line really backed up sans TSMM, which is just horrible with capacity anyway... The only times I have seen any kind of back log with FP is after a parade, usually Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain, and even then it is kind of manageable...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Truth is: however the new rules are enforced I'll be fine with. If they adhere to the stricter policy, I'll make it fit into our planning. And I won't complain --UNLESS they start charging a fee. Then no system will make me happy and I will complain. I just hope someone is listening.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chaos!

Can you imagine what would happen if EVERYONE who had a Fastpass to an attraction decided to return to the attraction and enter the Fastpass Return Line at the exact same moment?

People will say to themselves, "Whoa! I should have came back earlier." There would be total chaos! Before you know it Nemo would be friends with Shamu and Shrek and Goofy would be going to Busch Gardens together!The end of world as we know it!

Wow!

Post Thanks / Like

If they are going to give an extra 5 min before and 15 min after the window why not just print the window as an hour and 20 minutes on the FP? Seems like that would be easier on the CM and guests to see the exact times instead of doing the math for the 5 and 15 min extra time. The math shouldn't be that hard but mistakes can happen.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

It would be incredibly unlikely that enough people would come back after their window that you'd notice the line longer. Also, don't forget those people weren't in line earlier, which means the line was shorter then.

The real reason(s) I think the Fastpass lines are longer (and I agree they are) is two fold ... one, I think it's very popular and Disney has started giving out more of them per hour than they really should and two, because I think a large number of people counterfeit them.

Just recently, we got in behind a tour group of at least 100 or so people at Toy Story Mania FP. It made the line a "slow pass" line. A cast member told us that it was going to easily be a one hour wait for fast pass.

So we left (as we had an ADR in Epcot within 2 hours), and I went to guest relations to see if we could get a fast pass for the next day. We had gotten these fast passes the minute we walked in the park (9ish) & the return time was something like 4:30!

Well - she politely told me no - it was "tough luck" and that they couldn't give out any extra fast passes for Toy Story Mania, as it was "off the grid."

Toy Story Mania is one of the worst rides to get fast passes for - how is it reasonable to tell folks to come back 7 hours later - and even then - the wait is 1 hour?

I wrote to guest services when we got home. I got a followup phone call plus 5 free 4 day park hoppers for my troubles. My sister-in-law received 10 fast passes to any attraction in the future, including Toy Story Mania. We used them there - making sure no tour groups were in the vicintiy.

My point being that your point is probably right on - with the exception of Toy Story Mania!!!

We are folks that consistently use our fast passes after the return window (that day we didn't). Why - because we were allowed to. Now since we won't be - we'll adjust accordingly. Not thrilled with it - but - if they are now going to enforce it - we'll deal.

Need to add - no way am I scheduling attraction times from home. Well - wait - I take it back - maybe I will for TOY STORY MANIA!!!!
    SSR & BC DVC Member
    Coming up - BWV July '18
    BWI '98, BWV '05, '08-16
    BLT - '15, '17
    Beach Club '96, BCV - '04, '06, 09
    Swan '07
    Contemporary - '91, '94, '02, '04
    Wilderness Lodge '00, VWL, 08
    Off Site - '80's

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Yeah, well TSM is a special case ... honestly, I think they just hand out way too many Fastpasses for that attraction. Not to mention that the Fastpass really isn't all that fast. You end up waiting in essentially the second half of the line anyway.

Truth is ... as cute as that attraction is, I'm really starting to hate it because of the insane obsession people seem to have with it. It's cute, but it ain't all that!
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

TSMM also has terrible capacity and they only made it worse with the air gates...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

The number of FP's *available* during the day for any one attraction is 80% of the ride's hourly capacity. You'll see this mostly during "busy days" where FastPasses run out early in the day (Toy Story Mania is a good example). Disney hasn't "given out more than they really should" over the years; it's always been that 80%.

When we're at the "Merge" point (where FP and standby merge together), it's 80 FP guests (if there's that many in line), for every 20 Stand-by guests, of course, not trying to split up parties if they were at the end of the 80 or 20. If there's no one in the FP queue, the stand-by line will move quickly.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post

When we're at the "Merge" point (where FP and standby merge together), it's 80 FP guests (if there's that many in line), for every 20 Stand-by guests, of course, not trying to split up parties if they were at the end of the 80 or 20. If there's no one in the FP queue, the stand-by line will move quickly.
    Yep. I'm confirming what Jim said. It's 80 FP guests for every 20 Standbys. And the "merge" position is usually the least enjoyable place to be for Attractions CMs. It's often hard for Standby guests to watch as you let 80 other guests go ahead - especially if they don't understand how FastPass works. So say something nice as you pass by!
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    The number of FP's *available* during the day for any one attraction is 80% of the ride's hourly capacity.
    So clarify this for me ... They give out 80% of the ride's hourly capacity in Fastpasses per day or per hour?

In other words, say a ride can handle 10,000 guests an hour (totally made up number ... no clue what reality would be for this). Do they give out a total of 8,000 Fastpasses in the entire day or 8,000 per hour for a total of 80,000 (assuming the park is open 10 hours a day)?
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kakn7294 View Post
    I'm not worried about the 5 min early because we've never been admitted early but I'm not liking the 15 min after part. We often show up late for our FP return time.
    I agree with you. who is it really hurting letting you show up late. I have done stand by and watched people enter the fast pass and never got upset about it. Isn't it enought that you have to plan your time around dinning without now having to maybe get out of a line your in order to make your fast pass time. If it's not one thing it another that someone is alway complaining about. It's the World your suppose to have a good time and not worry so much about the little stuff.
    Next trip Oct. 2013 Yatch Club Resort club level

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, well TSM is a special case ... honestly, I think they just hand out way too many Fastpasses for that attraction. Not to mention that the Fastpass really isn't all that fast. You end up waiting in essentially the second half of the line anyway.

Truth is ... as cute as that attraction is, I'm really starting to hate it because of the insane obsession people seem to have with it. It's cute, but it ain't all that!
    Agree totally. We try to at least visit TSM twice in our typical stay - and each time we try to minimize the wait time by getting the fast passes first thing in the morning.

In addition to all the "issues" people have stated about TSM - you can add another - one of the only "rides" the littler kids can do at DHS. The rest are mostly for the older kids. So you've got almost the entire park attendence trying to get on it.

DHS needs more ride-like attractions - but that is a differnt topic for another thread
    SSR & BC DVC Member
    Coming up - BWV July '18
    BWI '98, BWV '05, '08-16
    BLT - '15, '17
    Beach Club '96, BCV - '04, '06, 09
    Swan '07
    Contemporary - '91, '94, '02, '04
    Wilderness Lodge '00, VWL, 08
    Off Site - '80's

Post Thanks / Like

So clarify this for me ... They give out 80% of the ride's hourly capacity in Fastpasses per day or per hour?
    It's per day, but it's a lot more complicated than that. Let's say an attraction's OHRC (operational hourly ride capacity) is 2000 (a more realistic number), and the park will be open for 10 hours as you said.

So you might think that the available FPs for the day will be 16,000 (80% of 2000 X 10). But no, it's going to be less than that because we can't distribute FPs during the last couple of hours. Can't have return times later than park closing.

The printed return window automatically moves through the day based on a running calculation so that the 80% return rate is not exceeded at any given point in time. This continues until all FPs have been distributed or an arbitrary cutoff time has been reached. Theoretically then, the CMs can maintain the flow of 80 FP guests to 20 Standbys during any particular hour without the length of the FP queue getting too long. I say "theoretically" because during the afternoons the FP queue length tends to grow considerably. One can argue that this is because of FP guests returning later than their window, but I am not aware of any actual studies that verify that.

Finally, another wrinkle. The Attractions managers can "tweak" the distribution rate and time. They can set the system to distribute more or less than the 80%. They can also build in a shutoff time after which FPs are no longer available. This might happen if they are short of manpower and need to shut down some FP positions late in the day.

So as you eagerly approach the ride's FP return entrance you will never quite know what to expect. Will you walk on? ... or wait half an hour?
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Ron- Thanks for the information. Very interesting to learn how it works.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: