Quantcast Ugh - Pirates Queue Interactive Refurb??? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waymickey View Post
    I feel exactly the same.

I love the queue at Pirates. The Chess game, the idea of really going into the pirate world, the cannon balls stacked and maybe a hidden mickey, and my DH favorite; going around the corner and then jumping out or through one of the cut outs to scare the pants of my DD. We use the line to talk about what we just did, saw and what we want to do. We laugh, people watch and play games we make up while waiting. There is no need for these next gen queues.
    Agreed!
    --Heff

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    What do you mean, "whatever happened to conversation?" I mean I see families texting each other and following one another on Twitter quite frequently when they are standing n the queues at WDW.
    --Heff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Yeah we saw all the curtains up when we were there but didn't know what it was for.

I honestly hate these stupid interactive queues. They're just ridiculous. If we've become a society that is jaded to the point that you can't enjoy the intricately themed and highly detailed queue in Disney theme park attractions then go play on your iPad somewhere or something.
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

Noooooooo! I love the Pirates queue the way it is! Personally, the interactive queue at Haunted Mansion I checked out once and bypassed it the rest of the time. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I'm gonna guess that's what most people do too! Seriously people, who actually stops in line at Space Mountain to play that game they've got (unless they are totally stuck in a slow line) when they could hop on the actual ride?!? Why spend all this money on making the queue interactive when, like Buttercup said, there are a million other things they could be spending the money on. Not to mention that the Pirate queue is already intricately themed. It's my most favourite queue just the way it is!

*Disneyland Paris Hotel
    *Grand Floridian
    *Disneyland Hotel
    *Boardwalk Inn *Bay Lake Tower
    *Contemporary *Old Key West
    *Polynesian Resort *Animal Kingdom Lodge
    * Port Orleans French Quarter
    * Fort Wilderness
    *Art of Animation * Pop Century
    * All Star Movies, Music & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jennsky View Post
    Noooooooo! I love the Pirates queue the way it is! Personally, the interactive queue at Haunted Mansion I checked out once and bypassed it the rest of the time. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I'm gonna guess that's what most people do too! Seriously people, who actually stops in line at Space Mountain to play that game they've got (unless they are totally stuck in a slow line) when they could hop on the actual ride?!? Why spend all this money on making the queue interactive when, like Buttercup said, there are a million other things they could be spending the money on. Not to mention that the Pirate queue is already intricately themed. It's my most favourite queue just the way it is!
    I think it just goes to show how out of touch TDO is ... the fact that they think these stupid interactive queues are a good idea just boggles my mind.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think it just goes to show how out of touch TDO is ... the fact that they think these stupid interactive queues are a good idea just boggles my mind.
    Just playing devils advocate but it isn't the old Disney superfans who are out of touch? Too often I see posts against change and to keep things how they were. I might not like every change that is done but change is something that has to take place.

On a side note I know I'm in the minority on here but I have liked the interactive queues so far. I don't feel they take away from the experience. In fact I had lots of fun with my kids playing with the HM and WtP interactive queues.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by seanyred View Post
    Just playing devils advocate but it isn't the old Disney superfans who are out of touch? Too often I see posts against change and to keep things how they were. I might not like every change that is done but change is something that has to take place.
    I dunno, you may have a point. I don't mind the ones they've done so far either really, but Pirates is a bit different. I think it would be a shame to have glowing video screens in that queue when it does such a great job of setting the mood for the ride the way it is.
    Ian șOș

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno, you may have a point. I don't mind the ones they've done so far either really, but Pirates is a bit different. I think it would be a shame to have glowing video screens in that queue when it does such a great job of setting the mood for the ride the way it is.
    I agree I don't want video screens either. But if it something more like the caves in Tom Sawyer Island at DL then I think it would be a plus. The interactive elements at DL TSI are a lot of fun.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

British Columbia, Canada (3408 miles from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you all about this...I don't see the need to entertain those that can't stand in line without needing to text, phone, Facebook, or game. I have never allowed my boys to bring any form of electronics with us on vacation. I now have teenagers and am not about to start now. I always enjoy our vacations together as they are "unplugged" for a couple weeks and we get to connect as a family. It's wonderful. I see kids so disconnected with the world around them and I'm sure it is due to always being plugged in instead of observing.
    ~Lynne~

On deck, you scabrous dogs! Man the braces! Let down and haul to run free. Now...bring me that horizon

DCL 2008 Mexico, 2011 Alaska, 2013 Caribbean
    WDW 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    Disneyland 2015, 2004,1993,1992, 1991,1973

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    So there are rumors floating around on a few sites (most recently on Da Mouse website with photos included) of the Pirates of the Caribbean queue. Looks like the one side has been blocked off with some curtains and there are rumors that they're adding some interactive elements to that lineup.

BOO. I seriously hope not. That is one of the best lineups for setting the mood, feeling nice and cool out of the hot sun... blech I don't want any noisy video games or irritating interactive elements that people are stopping at and wasting time.

PLEASE SAY IT AIN'T SO!
    I hope that thus is not the case. I wonder if it could be part of the new Interactive game that is being discussed here New Interactive Game Coming

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I agree I don't want video screens either. But if it something more like the caves in Tom Sawyer Island at DL then I think it would be a plus. The interactive elements at DL TSI are a lot of fun.
    Yeah well as with everything Disney if they do it right it could be awesome. Unfortunately, my confidence that they'll get it right isn't what it used to be.
    Ian șOș

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

On a side note I know I'm in the minority on here but I have liked the interactive queues so far. I don't feel they take away from the experience. In fact I had lots of fun with my kids playing with the HM and WtP interactive queues.
    Here's my thinking though: these interactive queues cost a lot of money to do. So, if Disney has all this money burning a hole in their pocket and they're sitting around thinking "What should we spend our moolah on?", WHY ON EARTH ARE THEY CHOOSING INTERACTIVE QUEUES?!?! I mean, with so many other things falling into disrepair, needing updates it boggles my mind that *this* is what they think is first priority.

Believe me, I'm not entirely against interactive queues. I think they can be done well and have their place in certain attractions. And I'm certainly not against change in the parks -- I have been going to WDW for 33+ years and have seen a lot of change and think it's great. But when there is a laundry list of other priorities in the park of animatronics that aren't working, paint jobs that are looking tired, attractions that need refurbs, I think starting all these queue projects is a little wasteful. Why muck around with something that works perfectly fine, looks great and sets a fantastic theme for the ride ahead (like POTC queue)? Is there nothing else out there needing a facelift?
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

It seems to me again and again, that a lot of us hardcore WDW fans are out of touch with what the bulk of visitors want.

For most WDW is a once or twice in a lifetime trip, not a yearly or twice or thrice yearly trip. The bulk of guests are families with kids and preteens who want them entertained. Yes in my day and age we talked with family, pinched our siblings and played I spy in line *limps away on my cane* but now my 4 year old nephew maneuvers an ipad better then his father. And my 11 year old nephew has his own cell phone. Its reality. If disney is going to keep up with the type of entertainment kids (and many adults) seek, next gen interaction is part of it.

Frankly when they turn the rides more interactive (think Spaceship Earth) us WDW nuts scream and yell. When they leave the bulk of the ride the same and touch the queue, we yell again. Nostalgia is great, but nostalgia doesn't bring in new guests. Walt was a fan of moving forward, pushing the envelope, not dragging his feet and yelling for yester-year.

Are the interactive queues perfect? No, but its a step to whats coming, well before other theme parks have gotten there.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

I really prefer interesting queues to interactive queues. Expedition Everest, Kali River Rapids, former Test Track, Star Tours, and Jungle Cruise are all fine examples. Give me something to look at or listen to, but don't make people have to stop and interact so much. I bet there are a lot of awkward moments in these line where one person or group is being held up, not knowing whether to pass while someone plays with something in the queue.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Interactive queues don't have to have screens or games. The HM queue only has one screen for all of the new elements they added. The composer's crypt is awesome, and promotes group interaction.

I honestly haven't been on Space Mountain since they've redone the queue, because I don't like the ride. It gives me a headache. So, I can't comment on that queue.

I could see them doing something to the queue at POTC to make it more like the queue at the Indiana Jones ride at DL. No screens, but interactive elements....push against that pole, and the ceiling starts coming down, like in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Or, pull the rope in the well outside of the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular, and you hear someone down inside the well. I would love for those kinds of elements to be added to the Pirates queue.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post
    It seems to me again and again, that a lot of us hardcore WDW fans are out of touch with what the bulk of visitors want.
    I don't know if this is right or not, but I do think that Disney believes it is.

By all accounts, their chief complaint from guest surveys continues to be the wait times. If, in fact, that's the case then what they're doing (all of it, including interactive queues, Fastpass+, etc.) seems to be going directly to the heart of the concerns of the bulk of guests.

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    I could see them doing something to the queue at POTC to make it more like the queue at the Indiana Jones ride at DL. No screens, but interactive elements....push against that pole, and the ceiling starts coming down, like in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Or, pull the rope in the well outside of the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular, and you hear someone down inside the well. I would love for those kinds of elements to be added to the Pirates queue.
    This is a good idea, actually, I hope they go this route!
    Ian șOș

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I feel like I am in the minority of Disney adding interactive things to the parks. Let's be honest here... Kids love Video games. A lot of us go to Disney for the nostalgia of riding Dumbo when we were younger, enjoying Pirates and the drop being scary when you're a young'n, having no idea why you're parents made you ride It's a Small World, and just enjoying seeing your Fantasy's come to life. However, this generation of children has Notebooks, Laptops, Xbox, computer games, smart phones, ipods, and tablets to play with and keep them entertained, so isn't it smart of Disney to add some kind of "gaming" type element to many of the Disney Classics? I understand how some would think that Disney is being cheap by adding those interactive elements instead of new rides, but why not improve some of the things Disney has already used to have success in their parks by adding elements popular among the Youth of their park guests. I feel like I'd make that same decision. However, I am one of the few people who posts, though infrequently, on this board that could really care less than to complain about the state of the parks and enjoy them for what they are. I have a good time at Disney more for the nostalgia and family memories so I have a good time regardless of what state some of the rides are in. I guess I'm a glass half full kind of person.
    First Disney Trip 1994
    Shades of Green 1999
    All Star Movies 2001
    Shades of Green 2009
    Pop Century 2011
    Bay Lake Tower 2012
    All Star Movies 2012 (Engagement Trip)
    All Star Music 2013
    Pop Century 2014 (Wedding Trip!)
    & Many More to Come!

Post Thanks / Like

I also enjoy the interactive queues .... I think they can add a touch of relief for young kids, and lets face it, some kids standing in lines at rides can be out of control...I would rather see kids interacting with these games than jumping all over the walls/rails/other guests...etc...

I hope its done well at PotC and will hold off judgement until then....

The only problem that I ever have with them is when the line is moving (mostly at Space) and then kids stop to play and block the walk way and the line just comes to a halt.....that is why I like what they did with HM...you can skip it if you want, but if you chose to interact, you know you are being passed in line. Would agree with some of the above posters that I would love to see only 1 side get the interactive elements, that way you can chose.
    March 1996 - Dixie Landings
    March 2004 - Pop Century
    September 2007 - Honeymoon - AKL
    October 2008 - Family Trip - Coronado Springs
    Christmas 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    November 2012 - PO French Quarter
    September 2014 - Carribean Beach
    May 2015 - PO Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer to reserve judgement until I see what it will look like. Nothing I say will change the fact that something is being done so I will just wait to see what turns up. Either way, change is inevetable and I don't look at that as always a bad thing. Keeping an open mind......
    șoș figgie șoș - Now living our dreams in sunny Florida close to the mouse!

Post Thanks / Like

I fully expect that it will turn out better than we think. That's usually the case. Most of us are skeptical of change. But most of the time things are better after.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Share This Thread On Social Media: