Quantcast Whispering Canyon Cafe?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Whispering Canyon Cafe?

How loud is it at the Whispering Canyon? I think DH would like the food but is not one for tom foolery!

Any other ideas for a place to eat near the Magic Kingdom for dinner?
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We ate there last trip in July when we stayed at VWL. We had dinner at WCC and I did not find it to be too loud, but keep in mind there is "Tom Foolery". They have stick horse races around the tables, if someone asks for ketchup there is a huge"to do". It is all in good fun and I did not find it the least bit annoying or inappropriate, you just get to see kids enjoying themselves during dinner. The food is also very good at WCC.

If he just wants to sit and enjoy a quiet dinner with kids sitting with both feet on the floor and napkins on their laps, this may not be for you.

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

It's been a long time since I ate there, but there was a back area that was seperate from the main area where the "antics" did not take place.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

During my last trip in November, I was seated in an area that seemed to be a 'deck' that overlooked the lobby. At the time, there were two other groups seated in this area and it was a very quiet and relaxing dinner.

Post Thanks / Like

We ate there once and it was loud but not unpleasant.

Other places to check out near MK to eat

Poly- Kona Cafe or Ohanas

Grand Floridian- 1900 Park Fare- I have eaten here and too be honest I am not crazy about the food, but the character experience was great. My husband thought the food was good, so maybe it is just me!

Grand Floridian Cafe- I have never eaten here but I have heard good things.

Contemporary - California Grill or The Wave. I love the Cali Grill. I have not tried The Wave. It seems to get mixed reviews.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by civilmousefan View Post
    During my last trip in November, I was seated in an area that seemed to be a 'deck' that overlooked the lobby. At the time, there were two other groups seated in this area and it was a very quiet and relaxing dinner.
    This is where we were seated also. I think when the waitress started out to gently "mess" with us she saw we weren't into it and kinda backed it off some. the food is excellent
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

I have ADR's to eat there for the first time in November. I have not told DH or DD about it 'being loud'. I think it'll be fun.
    TRACEY
    ºOº

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

I heard that if you want to enjoy Whispering Canyon but don't like all of the noise, you can request to sit in the "library" so you can enjoy the restaurant without too much noise.
    VMK: DaffyD
    Trips to WDW
    June 2001on my B-Day!Off Prop.
    August 2005 Off Prop.
    August 2006 ASMov.
    August 2008- Pop Century
    August 2009-ASMu
    April 2010-ASMu w/marching band
    Aug. 2011 ASMu
    Aug. 2012 Off Prop.
    Aug 2013 Off prop.
    Next:Aug 2014??

Post Thanks / Like

On our last trip there we were seated in the "back room" and it was just perfect! We had fun with the waitress, but it wasn't over the top or as crazy as the main dining room.

There are most certainly antics, but the CM's are good at figuring out who wants to really get involved and who is happier to sit back and watch.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes I think "Tom Foolery" is the manager in charge at WCC.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally going there as a 10 year old I had the worst Disney Dining experience there. I was browsing the menu as our waitress was telling us our specials and she rudely commanded me to pay attention to her. Not to mention it was too loud for me and when I needed ketchup it was a whole big fuss of kids carrying it to my table. It was unnecessary, and I would have preferred one bottle of ketchup for myself.
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arielfan98 View Post
    Personally going there as a 10 year old I had the worst Disney Dining experience there. I was browsing the menu as our waitress was telling us our specials and she rudely commanded me to pay attention to her. Not to mention it was too loud for me and when I needed ketchup it was a whole big fuss of kids carrying it to my table. It was unnecessary, and I would have preferred one bottle of ketchup for myself.
    This is what I am afraid of. I am considering bringing ketchup packets with me in my purse DS loves ketchup and I don't want it to be this whole thing.

The tomfoolery is why I also don't like the 50s Prime Time Cafe even though I like the food.

I guess I am just a stick in the mud!
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I agree that the 'library' is a good place to be because it is very very very quiet. But if you can snag a table along the balcony in the main dining room, it isnt as loud and you can 'observe' the tom foolery. Our first visit, that is where we were seated and I could never understand why people said it was so loud at WCC....it was not like that for us until 3rd visit. (2nd visit was in the library) but 3rd visit was along windows along the back wall of the main dining area, which was loud. But the loudest location was in the middle section right near a corner near the 'walkway'. That was really almost unbearable for us, and we are huge WCC fans. Library was almost too quiet for us, but that middle table was too loud. You can request the library when you check in for your ADR. We requested a table along the balcony overlooking the lobby but we got the library.
    Disney BORN & BRED!

71-78 FL resident, MANY visits!
    78-79 CM@MK
    85&90-offsite
    94-SOG
    01&05-Band trips-offsite
    May08-1st visit 4 our spec DS! POFQ
    MAY09-POFQ-DD's college grad!
    POFQ/MNSSHP 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneynarula View Post
    The tomfoolery is why I also don't like the 50s Prime Time Cafe even though I like the food.

I guess I am just a stick in the mud!
    I like 50's Prime Time, we have had some great servers who did a great job playing the part up, never anything too over the top though. WCC was the same, the server wasn't annoying or bothersome, just fun. I thought the food was really good.

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013

Next Trip:

Post Thanks / Like

If you're worried about the loudness and the pranks, but still want similar type of food and a rustic feel, maybe Trails' End at Ft. Wilderness might fit the bill. They have a buffet at dinner, that serves soup, salads, chili, veggies, ribs, the same yummy fried chicken as Hoop Dee Doo, pasta, pizza, carved meats, desserts, etc. You can take the boat there from the MK.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arielfan98 View Post
    My boys feel exactly the same way! Even though we stay at WL for many of our trips our last meal at WCC was 14 years ago when they were 4 and 8.

DS had some special needs issues when he was younger. I took the waitress aside and explained this to her and asked her to tone it down (which she didn't) and also asked for her to bring 1 bottle of ketchup and not yell it out (she didn't do that either). He was extremely agitated and we had to leave and never returned since.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

First off, several years ago I found a website that gave suggestions on what to ask the server to really expand your experience at Whispering Canyon Cafe. However, I cannot find it again. Does anybody know of any of the fun questions to ask the server to get your experienced "plussed?"

Also, one time we went for lunch, we had just come in from the MK. It had been hot and I was VERY thirsty.

So, when my ball jar glass was brought, I down the drink almost immediately. My server saw this and said some sarcastic remark (all in good fun) and brought me another drink. This time, it was in a super small glass with a straw I almost had to stand up to use. Needless to say, my wife had a great laugh with this.

And last time we were there, I had my five year old son ask for ketchup. Not so he could be embarrassed by getting all of them at our table. I wanted him to have the chance to bring the bottles to somebody else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElenitaB View Post
    If you're worried about the loudness and the pranks, but still want similar type of food and a rustic feel, maybe Trails' End at Ft. Wilderness might fit the bill. They have a buffet at dinner, that serves soup, salads, chili, veggies, ribs, the same yummy fried chicken as Hoop Dee Doo, pasta, pizza, carved meats, desserts, etc. You can take the boat there from the MK.
    I have heard the food here is really good too, I might have to put that on the list for July, especially for that Fried Chicken.

Recent Trips:

Next Trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I think it certainly makes a difference as far as where you sit. If you prefer something more quiet just ask. I think the servers do a pretty good job of reading which guests are game to participate and which are not. However, you might give your husband a heads up and see what he thinks. If the idea of any tom foolery at all makes him annoyed then you should plan something else. It's not fair to the servers or the other guests who come specifically for that kind of experience. Also, the restaurant is open to the lobby so you could just stop by sometime and watch to get a feel for what you might experience if you dine there.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the food at WCC, but for me it's more fun to watch the other diners be on the receiving end of the gags and antics. I guess don't like being in the spotlight.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Share This Thread On Social Media: