Quantcast Southwest "Wanna Get Away" question

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Mr. Brass Bonanza Guest

Question Southwest "Wanna Get Away" question

I'm looking to book an round trip flight on Southwest, and they have three categories: Business Select, Anytime, and Wanna Get Away. The first two are pretty high priced, but the Wanna Get Away option is quite reasonable. What am I missing here? What is the difference between the first two and Wanna Get Away? Is there some sort of disadvantage?

Thanks!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the biggest difference is that with the Wanna Get Away fares, you don't get a refund if you cancel your flight, but you get travel funds that can be applied to a different flight within a year. With the other 2 higher priced fares, you will get an actual refund of your money if you cancel your flight. I believe you also get priority boarding with the highest fare class, Business Select, and a free alcoholic drink during the flight.

The level of the fare also changes the number of Rapid Rewards points you get, if you are a Rapid Rewards member. The higher the fare class, the more RR points. Hope this helps!
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

That and Southwest doesnt have assigned seating or business class per say... What they do is let the higher price tickets to board first, so they can get the better seats and also put thier carry-ons first in the over head bins. With the wanna get away like the previous poster said it is non refundable, but you get travel dollars. We did the early bird, you pay 10 dollars extra per way per person, but supposedly it puts you higher in the boarding order after the business and the other class. I hope this helps
    I am addicted!
    9-08 Caribbean Beach Resort (Honeymoon)
    1-09 All-Star Sports
    12-09 Pop Century
    5-10 Pop Century
    3-11 All-Star Sports
    7-11 Wilderness Lodge
    3-12 Port Orleans Riverside
    5-12 Pop Century
    12-12 Saratoga Springs
    DVC Member since 2012!

Post Thanks / Like

Wanna Get Away is your basic coach, nonrefundable fare. Honestly that is pretty much the only type of fare we book. I have flown business class on other airlines several times but by using frequent flier miles/points.

If you do cancel, you have a credit with the airline to book another flight within a year I believe. There might be fees to cancel and rebook, but you can probably call SW to get more details on that.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

It's non refundable as cash, fully "refundable" as credit towards a different flight within a year, as previously stated. I don't think you necessarily get any better boarding # for taking the full price fare versus the WGA. I only book the WGA, because I am never booking a trip that I wouldn't reschedule within a year if there were some problem.

If you pay the extra $10 you get a pre assigned boarding # before all others are able to check in at the 24 hour mark, but I never buy this option (I'm cheap) and have never had an issue. I would probably feel differently if I were travelling with children.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVC2004 View Post
    There might be fees to cancel and rebook, but you can probably call SW to get more details on that.
    I don't believe there are any fees related to rebooking.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Wanna Get Away tickets are better than every other airlines' tickets. You can't get a refund, but you can change to a different flight for no fee. I really love that. You never know when a flight needs to change for a vacation that's booked 6 months in advance.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MargaretMessler View Post
    I don't think you necessarily get any better boarding # for taking the full price fare versus the WGA.
    Passengers who buy the Business Select fare do get priority boarding. They're given a boarding number between A1 and A15, then A16 starts with people who purchase Early Bird, and then everyone else comes after that. Of all the flights I've taken on SW, I think I've only seen people in the A1-A15 slots once, maybe twice, when waiting to board. And even then, it was only one or two people. So, I'm not sure the priority boarding is a great reason to pay the higher fare.
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

Mr. Brass Bonanza Guest

Talking

Thanks for the information, everyone! This has been a great help.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: