Quantcast Hollywood Studios needs big help - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDuckUSA View Post
    I don't think the poster was upset that a manager stepped in. I think his/her frustration was more that he was not in costume.
    Fair enough. I withdraw my criticism.

The problem with HS is not the cast members. It's a larger issue of an unorganized theme park that lacks vision. We've said this time and time again. The backlot tour needs a serious overhaul. And by overall, I mean we need a new ride back there.
    Isn't this happening? Isn't the new Cars Land (or whatever they're going to call it) going to use the space of both the Backlot Tour and LMA? That's my understanding. I suppose that there has been no official announcement yet, but that's all the rumor...

We've talked about GMR a lot here and my feelings are that it does need adjustments. The script needs to be updated. For heaven's sake that ride offers nothing new. I understand that not everyone has gone since childhood and memorized the script, but it has not changed one bit in 20 years. To be frank, I think frequent Disney-goers are bored there.
    I agree. The only thing that they've updated is the movie montage at the closing scene. There have been a LOT of great movies in the past 20 years that they could use.

I hope its the next major overhaul park and some better counter service dining. I still love it even though.
    Worst CS dining in WDW. Not super impressed with the TS dining either, come to think of it....
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We've talked about GMR a lot here and my feelings are that it does need adjustments. The script needs to be updated. For heaven's sake that ride offers nothing new. I understand that not everyone has gone since childhood and memorized the script, but it has not changed one bit in 20 years. To be frank, I think frequent Disney-goers are bored there.
    My wife and I are in our mid-40s Last time we went to WDW we were in line at another ride and struck up a conversation with a very nice young couple. They were in their mid 20s. We mentioned GMR and the guy said they didnt like it because they didnt know who any of the actors were and recognized just one or two of the movies.

Pretty hard to enjoy a nostalgic ride centered around old movies if youve never seen any of the moives and youve never heard of the actors

Its one of the rides I feel I need to ride no matter what but Im a fossil. The movies shown are a total mystery to anyone born after 1980. And people born in 1980 are now taking THEIR kids to WDW. So why would they even bother with GMR unless its a steamy July day and they want to sit in the AC for 15 minutes

Ive also heard that many of the younger people today wont even take a peek at a movie if its in B/W so alot of them really would have no interest in some of the films they highlight
    We are Siamese if you please

Contemporary Hotel Nov 1971
    Fort Wilderness 1974 & 75 (Ithink)
    Senior Trip 1983 off site
    Polynesian 1990
    Grand Floridian 1991
    All-Star Music 2008
    Port Orleans French Quarter Feb '09
    Magic Kingdom 2/17/12

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    My wife and I are in our mid-40s Last time we went to WDW we were in line at another ride and struck up a conversation with a very nice young couple. They were in their mid 20s. We mentioned GMR and the guy said they didnt like it because they didnt know who any of the actors were and recognized just one or two of the movies.

Pretty hard to enjoy a nostalgic ride centered around old movies if youve never seen any of the moives and youve never heard of the actors

Its one of the rides I feel I need to ride no matter what but Im a fossil. The movies shown are a total mystery to anyone born after 1980. And people born in 1980 are now taking THEIR kids to WDW. So why would they even bother with GMR unless its a steamy July day and they want to sit in the AC for 15 minutes

Ive also heard that many of the younger people today wont even take a peek at a movie if its in B/W so alot of them really would have no interest in some of the films they highlight
    This is partially true. I think it depends on parents, and how they've raised their kids. My DW and I are 40, and we have three children, ages 15, 13, and 7. They know about (but haven't seen) Alien(s). They are also familiar with Clint Eastwood and John Wayne (they've seen all or part of The Alamo and The Searchers). They certainly know, and have seen all of the Raiders of the Lost Ark movies, and they know all about The Wizard of Oz.

We love to watch the movie montage at the end and point out the actors and what movies they are showing clips of. When we see an actor doing a scene from a movie they haven't seen (such as Robin Williams in "Good Morning Vietnam", we point out that they know him as the Genie in Aladdin).

Maybe it's us. I know that movies aren't important in the grand scheme of things. But we feel that there are certain things that every child should learn...cultural education...that they need to be well rounded. Music and TV/Movies is part of that. So, we regularly have "movie parties" with our kids where we'll break out a classic movie and have a picnic-type spread on the floor. Our kids are well-read, and well-watched. And so, they love the Great Movie Ride.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that the studios really doesn't have much of a direction, however...we spent more time in the studios than in the past.

I agree the TS dining leaves a lot to be desired, but our CS lunches were really good.

Top reason I enjoy the studios... It's a smaller park. You can get around quickly.

The Christmas decorations were in full swing when we were there the week of Thanksgiving.

My girls LOVE RNR and TOT. Star Tours and Toy Story Mania are fun! Where else are you going to light saber with Darth Vader??? The Osbourne Lights are amazing. All in all, it's not so bad. I wouldn't just go there to go for the day, my top park is and will always be The Magic Kingdom!
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

DHS needs focus. Its been said a million times and everyone agrees...except apparently Disney management. It started as a working studio....great idea, except that they then gutted it and tried to pass it off as a respresentation of a working studeo...passable idea, except that their hearts were clearly not into it, so they seemingly gave up on even pretending.

What's left is a park full of great architechture, and conflicting themes and ideas. Are we in the present? Are we in the 30's? Are we on a movie set? Is it supposed to be real? Are we celebrating movies? or music? or TV? or Braodway? Or all of the above? Are we geared toward teens? Or toddlers? Certaily not the whole family.... What Is The Point?????

I think Disney should do a CA on the park and start over. Give us a unified vision and theme, because what we have now is frankly embarrassing...
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, I dont agree that TGMR needs a huge referb. Maybe a few newer movies in the film reels, but the whole point was to celebrate classic movies, not be up to date with new releases. Maybe they need more explanation as to why these movies are included? Just a thought...
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    DHS needs focus. Its been said a million times and everyone agrees...except apparently Disney management. It started as a working studio....great idea, except that they then gutted it and tried to pass it off as a respresentation of a working studeo...passable idea, except that their hearts were clearly not into it, so they seemingly gave up on even pretending.

What's left is a park full of great architechture, and conflicting themes and ideas. Are we in the present? Are we in the 30's? Are we on a movie set? Is it supposed to be real? Are we celebrating movies? or music? or TV? or Braodway? Or all of the above? Are we geared toward teens? Or toddlers? Certaily not the whole family.... What Is The Point?????

I think Disney should do a CA on the park and start over. Give us a unified vision and theme, because what we have now is frankly embarrassing...
    Went down in November and didn't even bother with this park, although I LOVE Toy Story Mania and ToT.

Don't care at all for GMR because you don't always get a good cast member/actor.... Also don't care that it's so LOUD. I'm old but I can hear just fine, thanks. If you sit in the back of the train, you miss a lot of the action anyway.
    One of many attractions that needs a revamp.
    I look forward to someone waking up and realizing they need to do something.
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    By the way, I dont agree that TGMR needs a huge referb. Maybe a few newer movies in the film reels, but the whole point was to celebrate classic movies, not be up to date with new releases. Maybe they need more explanation as to why these movies are included? Just a thought...
    The last new movie I saw was "Valkyrie"

I totally agree that new movies dont belong in there but theres 20 years of truly classic movies that are omitted.

Field of Dreams hadnt been released yet when GMR opened. That sort of shows where the jumping off point on omitted movies is.
    We are Siamese if you please

Contemporary Hotel Nov 1971
    Fort Wilderness 1974 & 75 (Ithink)
    Senior Trip 1983 off site
    Polynesian 1990
    Grand Floridian 1991
    All-Star Music 2008
    Port Orleans French Quarter Feb '09
    Magic Kingdom 2/17/12

Post Thanks / Like

I understand that not everyone has gone since childhood and memorized the script, but it has not changed one bit in 20 years.
    Yes, EVERY CMs favorite movie genre is the horror film. Actually, I crack up every time we ride and I hear them say that. Must be a prerequisite for the job. haha

When we moved to Florida and I started to go to the parks frequently, DHS quickly became my least favorite park. Thing is, there are incredible highs for me (TSM, One Man's Dream, Animation Academy, Prime Time, Star Tours) and great highs for the masses as well (TOT, RnRC), but there are big lows as well (Backlot, Sounds Dangerous, Lights Motors, most CS restaurants, waste of space Streets of America, etc). I enjoy a lot of the other attractions, but like so many have said before me, there seems to be no cohesiveness.

I do hope this park is the next for a lot of TLC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    Isn't this happening? Isn't the new Cars Land (or whatever they're going to call it) going to use the space of both the Backlot Tour and LMA? That's my understanding. I suppose that there has been no official announcement yet, but that's all the rumor...
    Personally, I think Cars Land only continues the no cohesive theme of DHS... The only thing it does is bring in an E-Ticket that the park sorely needs... Plus, don't hold your breath for Cars Land or any announcement.. Nothing is green lit and plans are still in disarray...

Could Cars Land (or the value engineered version) fit into DHS? Sure... But since Disney has no clue what DHS is supposed to be, the version of Cars Land (if it gets green lit) will just add to the lack of vision for the park...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

We were there last week and enjoyed it. But my one complaint is with Lights Motors. The CMs raced thru their lines. Sounded like auctioneers. We could barely understand a word. How can Disney put so much effort into turning out an incredible show and then fall short in this make or break area? Disappointing.

But I hasten to add, other than this, DHS was a big hit with the family.
    "Good evening ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. In just five minutes...."

Post Thanks / Like

I agree !!!

I think Disney should do a CA on the park and start over.

Post Thanks / Like

The studios is a bit of an oddball if I am honest. These days it is far too similar to the studios in Paris. A bizarre collection of rides put together loosely under the banner of a studio.

One thing I have heard quite a few people say during my trips there is that the park is very difficult to navigate for first timers, as it has no central point to help you with orientation like the 2 kingdoms, (or even Epcot for that matter as you can see spaceship earth from just about everywhere!)

It would be a good start if they put it back as a working studio. It's not like Disney doesn't have a big enough catalogue of upcoming films or anything.....

Another possible attraction to add if they do add Cars Land. How about a proper animatronics show where the one man's dream exhibit is? Think great moments with Mr Lincoln but with a Walt Disney animatronic?

Post Thanks / Like

just got back w/ my gf and our son. they had never been to HS. Both said it was by far their favorite park.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

We also skipped the studios on my most recent trip last month, mostly because I don't think there's much there that would appeal to my daughters (1 and 4). Just by dumb luck, the Disney Jr. stage show (which they would love) has been closed during our last two trips in 2013 and 2011. I do still enjoy this park in general though. ToT and RnRC are the two best Disney "thrill rides" anywhere, IMO. While I agree that it could use a refresh, GMR is still a classic must do in my book. I agree 100% though with what a lot of people have said about the idea that the park lost a lot of its theme when it stopped being a real working studio. Maybe its time to do away with the backlot tour and just stop pretending to be something you are not.

Quote Originally Posted by The Horned King View Post

Another possible attraction to add if they do add Cars Land. How about a proper animatronics show where the one man's dream exhibit is? Think great moments with Mr Lincoln but with a Walt Disney animatronic?
    I'd just like to say that, while I find it very hard to picture Disney doing this, I think a Walt Disney animatronic would be really cool
    Bay Lake Tower - 2014, 2015
    Polynesian Resort - 2013
    Wilderness Lodge - 2011
    Port Orleans - 2003
    Hotel Plaza - 2002
    Coronado Springs - 1998
    Disneyland - 1997
    All Star Music - 1995, 1997
    Offsite - 1980, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloJason View Post
    I'd just like to say that, while I find it very hard to picture Disney doing this, I think a Walt Disney animatronic would be really cool
    Who knows, it's nice to see that they are spending money on animatronics again. Was a grey area for a while where projection and 3d was the new craze, Always have been a fan of practical effects whether it is fire or animatronics.

I still stand by it would be awesome if they recreated some of the original videos of Walt explaining about project X, but in animatronic form. Especially with the advancements that have been made now. Hell, I can dream can't I! That's why we all go to Disney after all!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: