Quantcast Training Check-in/Encouragement Thread

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Meg sorry about your injury, I hope you recover soon and don't lose too much of your training!

I do use my iPhone or the TV while running. I make sure to have a kick rear end playlist of all upbeat music that will make me run. I call it my "angry music" because it's a lot of Muse, Linkin Park, My Chemical Romance, Three Days Grace and the like. If I watch tv I make sure it's Food Network, lol. Watching Paula Dean fry things and cover them in chocolate seems to be a motivator!

Despite this, even if I'm into my music or what I'm watching I seem to reach a point where I just don't want to run anymore even though I know I can go further. Maybe I just need to start running outside (this weather needs to get better first though!) so I can vary my route and have lots of things to look at.
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose0708 View Post
    Meg sorry about your injury, I hope you recover soon and don't lose too much of your training!

I do use my iPhone or the TV while running. I make sure to have a kick rear end playlist of all upbeat music that will make me run. I call it my "angry music" because it's a lot of Muse, Linkin Park, My Chemical Romance, Three Days Grace and the like. If I watch tv I make sure it's Food Network, lol. Watching Paula Dean fry things and cover them in chocolate seems to be a motivator!

Despite this, even if I'm into my music or what I'm watching I seem to reach a point where I just don't want to run anymore even though I know I can go further. Maybe I just need to start running outside (this weather needs to get better first though!) so I can vary my route and have lots of things to look at.
    Thanks. It's set me back a bit, but not enough to cry about!

I'm with you on the outside running. I can't wait for that. There are some great trails near my house that I'm itching to get out on!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Nikki, throw a towel over the treadmill display. Set a comfortable pace. Then, set a timer on your phone for an hour. Don't peek! Don't stop runnning until the timer goes off. Add 5 minutes every week. This should get you increasing distance.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

There is never anything good on the TV at my apartment complex's small gym! I'm normally there during daytime hours when it's "slim pickins" to begin with, but they get really random channels! I think they might have an illegal hookup

I also try not to look at the treadmill info and focus on something else. I agree that running outside is more "fun." When the weather gets nicer I am planning to run around a park in Philly with my friend.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Nikki, throw a towel over the treadmill display. Set a comfortable pace. Then, set a timer on your phone for an hour. Don't peek! Don't stop runnning until the timer goes off. Add 5 minutes every week. This should get you increasing distance.
    That is fabulous advice! I try not to focus on the display but get so distracted. I should also stop setting break times like "at 2 miles I can take a break" because after I take that break I don't want to run again. Will try that on my run tonight.

It's going to be 53 and sunny(!) here on Sunday so I am really looking forward to my first outdoor run!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose0708 View Post
    That is fabulous advice! I try not to focus on the display but get so distracted. I should also stop setting break times like "at 2 miles I can take a break" because after I take that break I don't want to run again. Will try that on my run tonight.

It's going to be 53 and sunny(!) here on Sunday so I am really looking forward to my first outdoor run!
    Running outside is so much better than the treadmill, but it's HARDER, so don't be surprised if you struggle a bit the first few outdoor runs. You use different muscles when you actually have to propel yourself forward outdoors rather than maintaining your balance on a treadmill. What I do when I am trying to increase my distance outdoors is to set a timer for HALF the total time I want to run on my phone. I run until the timer goes off, and then I turn around and go back home. Every few days, I will add 5 more minutes to the timer.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and rather than stop and walk, just slow down. You can go down to 4mph and still be "jogging". Just don't go into that walking cadence...keep it like a shuffle, then just speed up again when you feel ready. This will make it feel like you are taking breaks, but you will never stop "running."
    Natalie

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: