Alright, so. I just received a pack of white Hanes (as suggested) t-shirts and some Sharpie brand fabric pens. There were Crayola ones available but they had a more limited amount of colors and were made for use primarily on darker colored shirts. They also needed to be heat treated and the Sharpie ones did not. Upon recieving them, we tested each color a little bit on one of my old white shirts.

We were impressed with the vibrant markings of the darker colors but naturally, the lighter colors like yellow and orange didn't show up well on the white shirt. I was thinking to have the color of pens match the character's colors but I don't think I would be able to read Pluto's name if he were to sign in yellow! This is probably where the Crayola markers have the advantage of being used on a darker colored shirt.

One of the more important things I noticed was without a hard surface, it is extremely difficult to write anything legible on the shirts as the fabric keeps bunching up and there is no firmness to press down on. This could be a big problem when at the parks. I know we discussed the possibility of using clipboards with chip clips on the edges pulling the fabric tight -- which may work, at least better than if there wasn't anything. Pulling the fabric tight allows for the ease of using the pen without making mistakes.

We would also need to have the shirt only be one layer of fabric thick on the clipboard when they are signing on it because the firmer the surface, the better. I just am wondering how I can manage the overhang on the sections of the shirt that aren't "spread/clipped" on the clipboard.

Are the characters very skilled when it comes to this type of thing? Would they know to pull-tight on the fabric themselves? I can just imagine the horror-show of them trying to manage this sort of stuff with their big gloves, paws, hands, etc. I am just trying to prepare properly so mistakes aren't made on our shirts. Does anybody have any better or other ideas for this kind of thing at the parks?