Quantcast Big ship to smaller ship

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big ship to smaller ship

We my DH and I went on our very first cruise. On the Disney Fantasy. Looking to book a cruise Oct 2014, Looking at the Disney Wonder or Magic. How much of a let down would it be. The Fantasy was fantastic, words cannot say how wonderful it was. I just am having a hard time deciding what we should do. Thank you
    WL concierge silver wedding anniversary 2004
    GCH, disneyland July 2005
    WL concierge Dec 2005
    Wilderness Lodge 2007
    POP Century May 2008
    POP Century May 2009
    POP Century October 2010
    New DVC Owners BLT
    BLT/AKL Villas May 2011
    CS/DCL Fantasy Maiden Voyage 03/2012
    BLT Oct 2012
    BLT Jan 2014

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I went on The Wonder first, then The Dream a few years later. I would have no problem doing the smaller ship again. I found both equally enjoyable.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

As far as DCL goes, we did the wonder first. We had done larger ships through other cruise lines. We have done the larger ships since. I personally like the smaller ships better.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I am a "large ship" person. The bigger, the better, IMO. I like the excitement, and the crowds that others speak of don't ever bother me.

We went on the Dream and I did not feel it was a large ship, really. My main gripe with it was that there really wasn't much to DO other than the pool deck, Aquaduck, mini golf, etc. During the day, the ship was rather quiet, and dare I say, boring.

I can't imagine going on one of the classic ships for more than a few days at most. I am thinking about the Magic after its drydock, as it looks like the additions will make the ship much more fun. However, I really do wonder what people DO all day on the ships, when the "scheduled activities" don't appeal to them. The adult only bars/clubs are not open until evening. We spent a fair amount of time in our cabin, watching movies. I did like the full sized theater on the Dream, and think that is great! I don't think the smaller ships have as large of a theater, do they?

I always hear about the smaller ships being more "intimate", but what do people really mean about that? Less passengers? More crew? What? I'm not interested in being "intimate" with strangers.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

All the public spaces are really much smaller than on the new ships. For example, I thought I was looking in a mirror at Topsiders you could easily see one end to the other, I'm guessing the Dream/Fantasy is at least twice as large. Same with the theaters, dining rooms, etc.

The dry dock isn't going to do much about that I think, but I'd still be interested in seeing the classic ships after the redo.

I don't think I'd go on them again before the work though. While not falling apart, they were really showing their age

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post

I don't think I'd go on them again before the work though. While not falling apart, they were really showing their age
    I agree with this. The photos of the cabins are just...I don't know. Very 90's looking, I think. Totally outdated and they just never appealed to me. The cabins on the Dream are just gorgeous: high end finishes, high quality linens, beautiful furniture, etc. I really felt like it was "luxury". In fact, the whole ship felt that way to me.

From pictures and videos of the classic ships, they really do look quite well worn and outdated in the rooms and public areas.

The drydock for the Magic seems to be addressing a LOT, so it will probably feel like a whole new ship afterwards.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

What do I do...? I read a book on my balcony while the kids are in kids club. ahhh... Heaven!
    But that is just me!
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL