Quantcast First week of Jan

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default First week of Jan

Will be going to wdw Jan 3rd thru the 10th. First time for us next Jan 2014. Taking the grandkids for the first time. How is the weather how should we pack. Are there any tour groups we will have to deal with. Any info would be appreciated this is so out of our comfort zone. Usually go in May or Oct. Thank you.
    WL concierge silver wedding anniversary 2004
    GCH, disneyland July 2005
    WL concierge Dec 2005
    Wilderness Lodge 2007
    POP Century May 2008
    POP Century May 2009
    POP Century October 2010
    New DVC Owners BLT
    BLT/AKL Villas May 2011
    CS/DCL Fantasy Maiden Voyage 03/2012
    BLT Oct 2012
    BLT Jan 2014

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Weather is very iffy in Jan. You won't know what to pack until 5-7 days before you leave. No way to tell further in advance.

The South American tour groups are out in full force in January. If you see the flags, just go another direction and you'll be fine. Try not to be in the same area they are and it's not a big deal.

The marathon events begin the weekend of the 10th, so you should miss the majority of the crowds coming in for that, though there will still be plenty of left-overs from the New Years celebration. Make sure you hit the Osborne Lights on your first night since they'll be shutting down afterwards.

Have a lot of fun!
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Just pack a few days out after you check the weather forecast. When we went a few years ago the first half was in the low 70's by the time we left it was in the mid 40's. Each day got a little colder. Dress in layers
    First WDW Trip 1984
    30+ Trips since 1984
    Disneyland 4 Visits
    Disneyland Paris 2010
    40th Wedding Anniversary December 2013
    Disney Cruises 2: Magic 2005, Fantasy 2012
    Last Trip November 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney in January

We were at Universal in January of 2012 and I forgot to pack my husband some long sleeve shirts, will never do that again.

It is at times quite chilly, waited for 3 hours with our granddaughter (13 at the time) to ride Harry Potter, thought I had frostbite. Thank God for the sun coming over the Castle.

It never hurts to be prepared! Enjoy
    2015 - All Star Sports
    2013 - All Star Music
    2012 - Universal (Royal Pacific)
    2010 - Caribbean Beach
    2009 - Caribbean Beach
    2006 - All Star Sports
    2005 - All Star Sports
    2004 - All Star Sports
    2003 - All Star Sports
    1999 - Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

Have been there several times in January. My favorite time to go. Have never seen any tour groups, low crowds, and have been very lucky with the weather. Check weather the week before, but make sure to have everything from fleeces to shorts! Enjoy!!!!!!
    Disneyluva

March 16 WDW off property
    April 15 DLR
    Feb 15 WDW off prorpety
    April 14 DCL and AKL
    March 13 DCL
    March 12 BC
    August 11 ASM
    January 10 GF
    April 09 BC
    November 06 GF
    January 05 GF
    February 98 Contemporary
    1978-1994 Many off Properties

Post Thanks / Like

Like everyone said the weather is mixed. The main thing is once the sun goes down its cool. So at night take jackets with you.

Post Thanks / Like

We did a trip around the same week in January several years ago. We wore everything at some time or another during the week -- from shorts to winter parkas. The highest temp was in the mid 70s, the lowest was in the 30s! There was visible steam coming from the pools because of the air temps; they looked like hot springs.

Dressing in layers helped -- it was easy to peel off jackets and sweatshirts as temps rose during the day.

We did have a great time because of low crowds, but it definitely was different than what we were used to.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

We have been in that time frame about 3 times; the weather can get quite cold or be nicely warm....or both in the same day! LOL
    We have packed a little of EVERYTHING. But, right after New Year's the crowd thins way out until runners start arriving on the weekend. Should be very nice for you.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

We went last year from the 5th through the 12th of January. It was actually very warm, 85. UGH! I prefer the cool. Another year we went in January, and it was unseasonably cold. We wore layers and gloves. Like everyone else says, check before you go.

As far as the tour groups, another great big UGH! They were out in full force last year, and very rude on top of it. Hard to avoid them in Animal Kingdom and probably the worse day I ever had in Disney World in 20 visits.

We are going in January again because it suits our time frame best, but I am not looking forward to the South American tour groups.
    Formerly luvinmesomedisney. Someone in the family turned off my "remember me" button and I forgot ME. Forgot my password so had to use a different name.

Post Thanks / Like

We were in WDW January 2nd - 6th, 2012. Everyday except for one was cloudy, drizzly and cool (probably averaging between 65 - 70 degrees). The only really beautiful day was around 80 degrees.

Most days we wore shorts and sweaters. The best bit of advice would be to check the forecast the week of, because I hear this time of year is usually quite random temperature-wise.

Another tip I can give is to try and book as many reservations ahead of time as possible. It was super crowded this past January, presumably due to the discounts Disney put forth, and I recall several nights where we were on the Disney App trying to make reservations in EPCOT and literally everything was booked. So, if there is a spot you really want to dine at, be sure to book it ahead of time just for peace of mind.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: