Quantcast WL vs AKL

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Which resort (club level) should we pick?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • WL

12 60.00%
  • AKL

8 40.00%

Thread: WL vs AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Default WL vs AKL

I'm trying to decide between WL Club Level and AKL Club Level for our trip the second week in November. I've only ever stayed Club Level at the GF, so I really don't know a ton about the other resorts. I like that the WL has boat access to the Magic Kingdom as we will be attending Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and we do spend much more time at the MK than at AK. My only other concern is that the main pool (with the slide) will be closed during this time. It is just my husband and I, so we don't have any kids, but we're concerned the smaller pool that will remain open will be too crowded for us to enjoy. Does anybody have anything to offer on this subject? Thanks!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

That is a difficult decision.

Wilderness lodge is beautifully decorated for the holidays and is very convienient to the Magic Kingdom. The club selections for food are normal fare....but delicious!

The Animal Kingdom Lodge is also very beautifully decorated for the holidays. It is a distance from most parks. The club selections for food are very unique. African influences/spices....very delicious!!! And you have got to love the animals just outside of your balcony!

I don't envy your decision...but you cannot go wrong with either one.

By the way, the pool at Animal Kingdom was very nice. I liked it better than Wilderness. I was not a fan of ducks swimming in the pool.
    All Star Sports-Hurricane Jeanne & Old Key West-2004
    All Star Movie, Old Key West, Coronado Spring-2005
    Wilderness Lodge-Club Level-2007
    All-Star Movies-November 2008
    AKL-Jambo House, Club Level - Feb 2011
    Contemporary Resort-May 2014
    Grand Floridian Resort- November 2015

Post Thanks / Like

If pool time and access is important to you I'd select Animal Kingdom Lodge given the situation with the Wilderness Lodge pool. Otherwise, I'd select Wilderness Lodge. I've never done concierge level at Animal Kingdom but have done it a couple of times at Wilderness Lodge and liked it very much,
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Is the WL pool being closed for refurb?? When does this start
    2 TRIPS AS A CHILD!
    00-CBR 1st trip with now husband!
    05 ASM
    07 CR & 1st MNSSHP
    08 POFQ MNSSHP
    09 BW MNSSHP
    10 AKL MNSSHP
    11 CS MNSSHP!
    12 Two DL Trips & MNSSHP
    13 POLY MNSSHP
    14 WL MNSSHP
    15 POLY MNSSHP
    16 CS & 10th MNSSHP
    17 POR & MNSSHP
    18 AKL 1st MVMCP
    19 POR MNSSHP

British Columbia, Canada (3408 miles from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by garthbarth1 View Post
    Is the WL pool being closed for refurb?? When does this start
    September 3rd it starts.
    ~Lynne~

On deck, you scabrous dogs! Man the braces! Let down and haul to run free. Now...bring me that horizon

DCL 2008 Mexico, 2011 Alaska, 2013 Caribbean
    WDW 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    Disneyland 2015, 2004,1993,1992, 1991,1973

Post Thanks / Like

I see someone mentioned the holiday decorations. Please keep in mind that neither hotel will probably be decorated that early in November. I think WL wasn't decorated until around Nov. 19th or 20th last year. And in our experience AKL doesn't decorate any earlier.

I have never stayed club level at either resort, but I would pick WL over AKL. I think AKL is a beautiful, unique resort, but I always feel so far from everything each time we stay there. I much prefer the location of WL, especially if you plan to spend more time at MK. The bus ride to MK in the mornings is only about a 5 minute ride, and taking the boat back for an afternoon break or at the end of a park day is so relaxing!

There is also a boat that goes from WL to the Contemporary that gives you easy access to the monorail resorts for meals and shopping.

To me WL is a much more cozy resort. And unless I planned major pool time I wouldn't worry too much about the main pool being closed. If it were a summer trip and I had my kids in tow yes, but for an adult only, November trip I would think the quiet pool would suffice.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

My choice would be AKL. It's such a lovely resort and the uniqueness impresses me more than the WL, not just of the surroundings, but for food choices. But I do like to be close to the MK and I can see that being a determining factor. Except for me, making the AKL choice would be to enjoy the resort surroundings and the buses wouldn't bother me once I'd decided to go that route.

And being at WL might make me wish I'd chosen a monorail access hotel which also have boats back and forth. It's so close, the WL... and yet so far. And the WL theming isn't really my favorite. And since I would have to bus everywhere else anyway... I would choose AKL. Which doesn't mean you should. It depends on what you want out of your vacation, and how you feel about both resorts.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I have stayed at both resorts (not club level) and voted for WL due to location. I loved AKL and the restaurants there, but really didn't like the distance/time traveling to most of the parks. If not for the location, AKL would have been my pick.

Either choice is great!
    Next up - January '14 - WL

March '13 - POR; May '12 - AKL; Oct. '12 - GF; Feb '11 - SSR; Oct '10 - BC; Feb '09 - Poly; Feb '08 - WL; Feb '06 - POR; April '04 - ASM; Nov '02 - POR; Jan '00 - CSR; Feb '98 - POR; Oct '96 - CBR; Sept '94 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

I've never done club level at either...was considering it for our upcoming trip, but then opted for BLT. I've always wanted to go to the AKL club area. It looks gorgeous. I've heard great things about WL club level too. What a hard decision! I do love AKL the best though, so my heart is always there. I don't really care for the pool area at WL. To me, AKL is the best. Either way, I'd say you'll have a great time!
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Default can't go wrong

I guess it depends on whether you prefer the covnenience to MK or the ambiance of AKL. We really love the unique African ambiance of AKL, Love the animals, the restaurants, the lovely pool area, and gorgeous lounge and gift shop. On the other hand being a boat ride away from MK and the monorail is quite nice. No bad choice here.
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Share This Thread On Social Media: