Quantcast Whispering Canyon Cafe - thoughts??

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Whispering Canyon Cafe - thoughts??

I have made dinner reservations at Whispering Canyon Café at Wilderness Lodge and wondered if anyone had any input on this experience? It'll just be my husband and I but wanted to know how the food is, and is it completely obnoxious with the antics?? LOL. Just curious to know what to expect. Thanks for any insight!!!
    Melinda

Trips:

Offsite - June 1997
    WL - October 2008
    POFQ - April/May 2010

RPH - Universal - May 7th-11th 2014
    POFQ - Sept. 27-30, 2014 (just the two of us!)
    Royal Pacific Hotel - Universal - June 27th - July 1st, 2015
    POFQ - Sept 2017

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We've been 2 or 3 times with the kids when they were younger...it was really fun...might lose some of that if its just the 2 of you...but that depends on you...we enjoyed it. The food was really good when we were there except for the last time...for me any way...my rib eye was tough and over cooked and the girl that served us was no fun at all...but that was our only "bad" time there. I think its worth a try...but if you don't like a little noise and carrying on you may want to pass!

Post Thanks / Like

We've been several times, and really enjoyed it. The food was very good and I didn't think the antics were over the top at all.
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of our favorites places to go. It is tradition for our family to eat our first meal each trip the night we get to Disney here. Our daughters love it. Even though they are now adults they still love all the fun. Enjoy!
    OFFSITE 1975
    OFFSITE 1989
    CBR JUNE 2006
    CBR MAY 2007
    CBR OCT 2008-MNSSHP
    AS MOVIE APRIL 2009
    WILDERNESS LODGE DEC 2010-MVMCP
    CBR NOV 2011
    CBR OCT 2013-FREE DINING PIN!

CBR NOV 2014-FREE DINING
    CBR SEPT 2015
    CBR OCT 2016-FREE DINING BOUNCE BACK OFFER

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this question... My daughter and I were thinking about eating there our first night. Plans to check in make our way over th MK and take the monorail around to see Christmas decorations (going 15 -21 Dec) at the deluxe Hotels and ending our tour at Wilderness Lodge (my favorite). The menu looks yummy... didn't know about the antics... what does this involve?
    TinkX2

Next Visit - Dec 2017 Pop Century
    Dec 2016 - Pop Century
    Feb 2016 - Coronado Springs Resort
    Dec 2014 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    June 2010 - Off-site
    June 2004 - Old Key West Resort
    May 2003 - All Star Music
    March 2001 - Caribbean Beach Resort

Post Thanks / Like

this has become one my family's favorite places. We all really like the food and tend to way over eat. The servers get a feel for you pretty quick if you want to joke around or not but we always eat here with 10+ people so it ends up being a really fun experience for the people we bring that have never been....especially for the ketchup users.
    5/97-offsite 2/99-AS Sports 12/99-AS Movies 12/01-AS Sports 4/03-Disneyland 12/04-Port Orleans Riverside 5/05-Beach Club 12/06-AS Movies 10 yr anniversary 12/09-AS Movies-1st trip for our Princess 11/13-Port Orleans Riverside 9/14-AS Music - Night of Joy 2/16 - Caribbean Beach - senior trip

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of our 'must dine' locations each trip. I know what you mean about over-eating here, 1goofyfamily!

It is my family's opinion that over the years they have really toned down the antics - but it is still a happy, lively, yummy place, regardless! We've always gotten the skillets - it's a good value. Their milkshakes are wonderful, too!!!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Done it with a big group(12 people) and done it with 2 people. Loved it both times. Like others, we tend to overeat there, but it's enjoyable. There were more shenanigans with the big group, but it was still fun with 2 of us. I have ADRs for 6 of us for our next trip. Can't wait!
    "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

Sam Eagle: "WILL YOU STOP THIS FOOLISHNESS!"
    Gonzo: "What Foolishness would you like to see?"

Post Thanks / Like

We love it there, but it is very loud and high energy. Our meals and service have always been good.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Never been there but planning on our next trip.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

We have eaten here and really enjoyed the experience. The last time it was just myself and my husband and we had a great time. We like watching the expressions on people who have never been before. It's like a dinner show in itself
    First WDW Trip 1984
    30+ Trips since 1984
    Disneyland 4 Visits
    Disneyland Paris 2010
    40th Wedding Anniversary December 2013
    Disney Cruises 2: Magic 2005, Fantasy 2012
    Last Trip November 2019

Post Thanks / Like

food was great. We ordered the skillet....lots of meat. Desserts were DELICIOUS!!!

As for the antics, you don't have to participate if you do not want to. They give you a card to leave on your table indicating your preference: to participate or just watch the action.

PS: if you are on the dining plan your beverage options include BOTTOMLESS milkshakes!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kerry827 View Post
    food was great. We ordered the skillet....lots of meat. Desserts were DELICIOUS!!!

As for the antics, you don't have to participate if you do not want to. They give you a card to leave on your table indicating your preference: to participate or just watch the action.

PS: if you are on the dining plan your beverage options include BOTTOMLESS milkshakes!!!!!!!

Bottomless shakes are totally awesome and delicious. !!! Love WCC.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

We've dined here many times. I have to say, that we found the food to decline in quality (simply compared to our previous visits). That said, it's a great place if you love all-you-can-eat.

I have been here several times as just adults and also as an adult couple and have eaten in the main dining room and elsewhere in the restaurant.

I find that if you are only 2 adults, they tend to seat you in one of the back rooms. Here, there is still great themeing and silliness (for example, they brought "jail" to the table of a little girl who wouldn't eat her vegetables), but it is much quieter and less foot trafficked than the main dining room. As a party of 2 adults, we have also been seated on the "porch" area that overlooks part of the lobby/hotel. It is very quiet in this location and you don't see very much by way of the server/child antics (except that one time where we saw the other all-adult table skip out on paying their check - a totally different type of show!).

So, based on my experience, you could quite possibly be seated in a more quiet area of the restaurant when they see that you are two adults (especially since most of the seating in the main dining room is for larger parties). That said, if you have your heart set on a more boisterous experience with a lot of children literally running around (there is a very comical "pony race"), I'm sure you could request a seat in the main dining room.

P.S. Do not ask for ketchup unless you are interested in having every child present bring you a bottle from their table.

P.S.S. If you you've had a loooooong day in the parks and are looking for a relaxing atmosphere and a lot of personal space, this may not be the restaurant for you!
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

Default Whispering Canyon

One great thing about eating there is that now you can choose to be part of the antics or just enjoy a great meal, watch the antics and be left alone. That's decided by a round chip on your table indicating your choice. Food is great.
    Trips planned for 2016......

January..... Offfsite... Golf outing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mfarquar View Post
    We've dined here many times. I have to say, that we found the food to decline in quality (simply compared to our previous visits). That said, it's a great place if you love all-you-can-eat.
    I would agree with this. The wife and I ate there maybe 5-6 years ago, by ourselves, and I thought the food quality to be pretty good. On our 2012 visit we took the kids and I don't know, I found the food to be just kind of underwhelming. Its a buffet, so you can stuff yourself I guess, but my immediate impression upon leaving was that the food wasn't as good as I had remembered.

At the time, after we got back, went on the message boards, and a lot of people were saying the same thing. Maybe its changed again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinkx2 View Post
    The menu looks yummy... didn't know about the antics... what does this involve?
    Do they still do the Pony Races?

One of the first times we went (about ten years ago), my wife dropped her fork on the floor. The server came over and said, "I'll bring you another one; I'll be right back." He comes back with a six-foot-long wooden fork. "Lemme see ya drop *that*," he says...
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

The last time we dined there, they did the pony races.

We try to go there each time we visit. We always get the skillet and it is something my wife and I both enjoy.

The antics are fun and are a big part of why we go there. We love those little "plusses" that enhance a dining experience.

I'm also glad to see we aren't the only ones who view this restaurant as something that "must be done" when visiting the resort.

Post Thanks / Like

We ate there last night. Even though they brought back the original skillet, I tried it and didn't like it. Found the meat to be very dry and didn't like the taste at all. The waitress was kind enough to let me order a steak instead and that was very good. Some of the waiters were extremely funny and if I was feeling better....came down with a horrible cold...would have enjoyed it more. That said, I'm glad I tried it again but don't know if I'd go back.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: